Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 50% packet loss ?

50% packet loss ?

Kenneth

Hi.

What does it meen when my ping reply is !.!.!.!.!.!.!. for one IP-address.
In LAN the ping reply is !!!!!!!! but from another network only every other
packet is comming back.

headsetadapter.com

Kenneth,

Check for static route to non-existing or dead gateway. For example, if you
have two static routes with the same metrics to the same destination, router
will try to do a load-balancing between gateways, and if one is down, you
will get every other packet lost.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
------
Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
www.headsetadapter.com

"Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3nDwj.227$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> What does it meen when my ping reply is !.!.!.!.!.!.!. for one IP-address.
> In LAN the ping reply is !!!!!!!! but from another network only every
> other packet is comming back.

Gabriele Beltrame

"Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:3nDwj.227$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi.
|
| What does it meen when my ping reply is !.!.!.!.!.!.!. for one IP-address.
| In LAN the ping reply is !!!!!!!! but from another network only every
other
| packet is comming back.

Hi,

Apart from what already told in the previous reply, this behavior could be
also caused by ICMP rate limiting

Regards,
Gabriele

Trendkill

On Feb 25, 3:32 pm, "Gabriele Beltrame" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggionews:3nDwj.227$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Hi.
> |
> | What does it meen when my ping reply is !.!.!.!.!.!.!. for one IP-address.
> | In LAN the ping reply is !!!!!!!! but from another network only every
> other
> | packet is comming back.
> |

> Hi,
>
> Apart from what already told in the previous reply, this behavior could be
> also caused by ICMP rate limiting
>
> Regards,
> Gabriele

While unlikely, I have also seen this happen when there is load
balancing across firewalls or similar devices and there is not a
consistent rule set. Any time when load balancing takes place, there
is this option, albeit mostly when you use statics or you have some
kind of traffic manipulation device (load balancer, firewall, etc).

Network traffic problem ---- packet loss bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk Cisco 1 10-31-2005 01:00 AM
packet loss any work arounds jcharth@hotmail.com Cisco 3 09-14-2005 05:32 PM
1841 Packet loss Scott Cisco 5 03-30-2005 04:44 PM
804 Packet loss during dialer idle timeout process? Loren Amelang Cisco 3 02-07-2005 10:59 PM
wireless connection and packet loss problem Mike S Wireless Networking 0 09-18-2004 08:54 PM

Advertisments