Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win 2000 .dll question

Win 2000 .dll question

TJ

On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to a
file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.

Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that advpack.dll
assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or some such.

Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not a
solution. None that I could find, anyway.

His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.

Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was to ask
if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in the
affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in place of
Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.

I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and see if
adpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and will get back
to me.

In the meanwhile, I was wondering if anybody here using W2K had experienced
similar, and if so, how they rectified the siuation.

TJ

TJ wrote:
> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to
> a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
>
> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
> some such.
> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not
> a solution. None that I could find, anyway.
>
> His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.
>
> Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was
> to ask if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in
> the affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in
> place of Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.
>
> I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and see
> if advpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and will
> get back to me.

AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem persists.
advpack.log continues to grow.

why?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:41:22 -0500, TJ wrote:

>On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to a
>file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
>
>Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that advpack.dll
>assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or some such.
>
>Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not a
>solution. None that I could find, anyway.

Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx
processes.

Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
logfile to see what is writing to the log.

What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

<snip>

Me

TJ

why? wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:41:22 -0500, TJ wrote:
>
>> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild.
>> Writes to a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
>>
>> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
>> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
>> some such.
>>
>> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but
>> not a solution. None that I could find, anyway.

> Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx
> processes.

I haven't tried anything. I run XP (sp2). My buddy reports that he can
kill it, but that's not the same as fixing it.

> Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
> logfile to see what is writing to the log.

Can't see how that would help as we already know the problem is with
advpack.dll

> What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE error
reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't even see a
reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>TJ wrote:
>> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild. Writes to
>> a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
>>
>> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
>> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
>> some such.
>> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but not
>> a solution. None that I could find, anyway.
>>
>> His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.
>>
>> Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was
>> to ask if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in
>> the affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in
>> place of Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.
>>
>> I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and see
>> if advpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and will
>> get back to me.

>AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem persists.
>advpack.log continues to grow.

Might unregister the dll, reboot, then reregister it. Might also
delete the log while the dll is unregistered.

Start | Run <type in>
regsvr32 -u advpack.dll
<enter>

Reboot and back:

regsvr32 advpack.dll
--

Dangerous workplaces and safety rules
http://tinyurl.com/2fvm6r

TJ

> "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> TJ wrote:
>>> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild.
>>> Writes to a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
>>>
>>> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
>>> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
>>> some such.
>>> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but
>>> not
>>> a solution. None that I could find, anyway.
>>>
>>> His advpack.log file is nearing 1GB in size.
>>>
>>> Since this .dll "assists with program installs" my first thought was
>>> to ask if he'd installed any new programs recently and he replied in
>>> the affirmative. He'd installed the latest version of Ad-Aware in
>>> place of Ad-Aware SE about a week ago.
>>>
>>> I told him to uninstall any/all versions of Ad-Aware, reboot, and
>>> see
>>> if advpack.dll settles down. He's in the process of doing so and
>>> will get back to me.

>> AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem
>> persists. advpack.log continues to grow.
>>

> Might unregister the dll, reboot, then reregister it. Might also
> delete the log while the dll is unregistered.
>

> Start | Run <type in>
> regsvr32 -u advpack.dll
> <enter>
>
> Reboot and back:
>
> regsvr32 advpack.dll

Good a plan as any. I'll call and and instruct. Will report back

Thanks

why?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:48:04 -0500, TJ wrote:

>why? wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:41:22 -0500, TJ wrote:
>>
>>> On a friend's machine running W2K, advpack.dll is running wild.
>>> Writes to a file called advpack.log about once every two seconds.
>>>
>>> Google search reveals both files belong on the machine, and that
>>> advpack.dll assists with program installs by verifying .inf files or
>>> some such.
>>>
>>> Google search also reveals many people with the same problem, but
>>> not a solution. None that I could find, anyway.

>> Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx
>> processes.

>I haven't tried anything. I run XP (sp2). My buddy reports that he can

Leaving for your friend to fix then, you possted you you get the
suggestions.

>kill it, but that's not the same as fixing it.

It's heavily related to MS IE versions as well.

>> Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
>> logfile to see what is writing to the log.

>Can't see how that would help as we already know the problem is with
>advpack.dll

So since several processes can launch advpack.dll it's not an issue
what's calling it? May also want to use process explorer from same site.

>> What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

>I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE error

SO after you google search that was done or not. It's a suggestion since
I can't access the PC in question.

>reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't even see a
>reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

No but others have tried turning off IE error reporting.

Until someone runs filemon / process explorer you won't know much. Even
autoruns tells you what might be running the dll.

Me

TJ

TJ wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> AdAware 2007 removed. Machine rebooted. advpack.dll problem
>>> persists. advpack.log continues to grow.
>>>

>> Might unregister the dll, reboot, then reregister it. Might also
>> delete the log while the dll is unregistered.
>>

>> Start | Run <type in>
>> regsvr32 -u advpack.dll
>> <enter>
>>
>> Reboot and back:
>>
>> regsvr32 advpack.dll

> Good a plan as any. I'll call and and instruct. Will report back
>
> Thanks

As per your instructions W2K says;

"advpack.dll was loaded but the .dll unregister entry point was not found.
..dll unregister may not be exported, or a corrupt version of adpack.dll may
be in memory. Consider using pview to detect and remove."

I have no idea what Pview is, and the above may nor be verbatim as I'm not
sitting in front of the machine.

Any idea where he should go from here?

And thanks again for your trouble.

TJ

why? wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:48:04 -0500, TJ wrote:
>
>> why? wrote:

>>> Have you tried Autoruns for advpack entries and then untick those
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx
>>> processes.

>> I haven't tried anything. I run XP (sp2). My buddy reports that he
>> can

> Leaving for your friend to fix then, you possted you you get the
> suggestions.

Understood.

>> kill it, but that's not the same as fixing it.

> It's heavily related to MS IE versions as well.

If you say so. I can't find anything via Google (or any other search
engine) that relates the problem to IE specifically. Not saying you're
wrong. Just that I can't find anything to support your assertion.

>>> Maybe also want filemon from the same source and set a filter on the
>>> logfile to see what is writing to the log.

>> Can't see how that would help as we already know the problem is with
>> advpack.dll

> So since several processes can launch advpack.dll it's not an issue
> what's calling it? May also want to use process explorer from same
> site.

That'll be the next step, I guess.

>>> What about MS KB 276550? Assume you did find that in your search.

>> I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE
>> error

> SO after you google search that was done or not. It's a suggestion
> since I can't access the PC in question.

Nor can I.

>> reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't
>> even see a reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

> No but others have tried turning off IE error reporting.

Would have been nice if you had just said you were taking a shot in the dark
in the first place, instead of pointing to me a link that had no reference
to the .dll in question.

> Until someone runs filemon / process explorer you won't know much.
> Even autoruns tells you what might be running the dll.

Like I said. That will be the next step.

Thank you for your time.

old man

The friend might try a repair / reinstallation of IE

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> why? wrote:

>>> I haven't tried anything. I run XP (sp2). My buddy reports that he
>>> can

>> Leaving for your friend to fix then, you possted you you get the
>> suggestions.

> Understood.
>

>>> kill it, but that's not the same as fixing it.

>> It's heavily related to MS IE versions as well.

> If you say so. I can't find anything via Google (or any other search
> engine) that relates the problem to IE specifically. Not saying you're
> wrong. Just that I can't find anything to support your assertion.

>>> Can't see how that would help as we already know the problem is with
>>> advpack.dll

>> So since several processes can launch advpack.dll it's not an issue
>> what's calling it? May also want to use process explorer from same
>> site.

> That'll be the next step, I guess.

>>> I can't see how that applies unless you're saying turning on/off IE
>>> error

>> SO after you google search that was done or not. It's a suggestion
>> since I can't access the PC in question.

> Nor can I.
>>
>>> reporting can somehow make that particular .dll go wild? I don't
>>> even see a reference to advpack.dll in MS KB 276550?

>> No but others have tried turning off IE error reporting.

> Would have been nice if you had just said you were taking a shot in the
> dark in the first place, instead of pointing to me a link that had no
> reference to the .dll in question.
>
>> Until someone runs filemon / process explorer you won't know much.
>> Even autoruns tells you what might be running the dll.

> Like I said. That will be the next step.
>
> Thank you for your time.

Re: switching OS from win.2000 to win. 98se Plato Computer Support 0 02-21-2005 11:27 PM
win 2000 vs win 2003 Tim Kettring MCSE 6 03-01-2004 11:57 PM
Formatting a win 2000 laptop and reinstalling Win 98se Trent C Computer Support 15 12-17-2003 08:23 PM
Uninstalling win 2000 and keeping the old win me Fred Erfmann Computer Support 0 06-26-2003 08:29 PM

Advertisments