Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Some advice for an overseas traveller

Some advice for an overseas traveller

Spencer

Hi
I am an older person who enjoys the time spent at the keyboard.I am
reasonably proficient with basic software and use of Google, but I lack
technical skills. I also enjoy overseas travel (recreational) and when I
can find them,use internet cafes to keep in touch I have a trip to
Europe booked for later this year and would like to persue the
possiblity of taking a small computer but need lots of advice and
comment. So, PLEASE help!!
My basic requirements are to send and receive emails, read the Hearald
on line, get walking and sightseeing instructions, store and edit my
photos and monitor my financial affairs. I have looked at some of the
hotels I will be using and most seem to offer wireless internet. How
does this work and are ther any inherent problems?
I would also like any comment on what type on machine I need. being
older weight is a consideration. What about the Asus eee?
Nny comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
Spencer

Puddle

Spencer wrote:
> Hi
> I am an older person who enjoys the time spent at the keyboard.I am
> reasonably proficient with basic software and use of Google, but I lack
> technical skills. I also enjoy overseas travel (recreational) and when I
> can find them,use internet cafes to keep in touch I have a trip to
> Europe booked for later this year and would like to persue the
> possiblity of taking a small computer but need lots of advice and
> comment. So, PLEASE help!!
> My basic requirements are to send and receive emails, read the Hearald
> on line, get walking and sightseeing instructions, store and edit my
> photos and monitor my financial affairs. I have looked at some of the
> hotels I will be using and most seem to offer wireless internet. How
> does this work and are ther any inherent problems?
> I would also like any comment on what type on machine I need. being
> older weight is a consideration. What about the Asus eee?
> Nny comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Spencer

You just need a laptop with wireless or even if it doesn't you can pick
up a wireless card which would just plugin to it.

The Asus eee has wireless builtin and would easily cover everything you
want to do which you listed. I have not used one however so cannot
comment on what they are like to use. Though the size of the keyboard
scares me a little but if you weren't using it for long periods of time
I am sure that wouldn't be an issue. There are some people here that
have them so they will be able to give their opinions I am sure. They
do look ideal for what you want though due to their small size and being
able to stuff them in a backpack etc .

Be aware that wireless isn't that safe and if the wireless is not using
any security such as WPA then people can listen to what you are sending
so keep that in mind if you go to do something such as internet banking etc.

Best of luck with your travels and with whatever you end up buying.

Justin

Spencer wrote:
> Hi
> I am an older person who enjoys the time spent at the keyboard.I am
> reasonably proficient with basic software and use of Google, but I lack
> technical skills. I also enjoy overseas travel (recreational) and when I
> can find them,use internet cafes to keep in touch I have a trip to
> Europe booked for later this year and would like to persue the
> possiblity of taking a small computer but need lots of advice and
> comment. So, PLEASE help!!
> My basic requirements are to send and receive emails, read the Hearald
> on line, get walking and sightseeing instructions, store and edit my
> photos and monitor my financial affairs. I have looked at some of the
> hotels I will be using and most seem to offer wireless internet. How
> does this work and are ther any inherent problems?
> I would also like any comment on what type on machine I need. being
> older weight is a consideration. What about the Asus eee?
> Nny comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Spencer

From my experiance of a 6 week trip including Los Angeles, London, 27
day coach tour of Europe, Paris and Hong Kong you will be having a lot
of fun in places getting internet connectivity.

Many places advertising Wireless LAN usually charge for it too. This
varies a lot from free (wires in Howard Johnston Anaheim) to 10Euro for
30 min access (total online time, not one session)

I ended up just connecting where I could for reasonable cost and waiting
till the next stop where I could not.

Make sure you are conversant with your machine's wireless setup and heed
Puddle's advice about security.

One useful site I found which helped me a lot was
http://www.tripadvisor.com/. Some of the reviews of places we stayed
were illuminating. Just watch out for those people who just had a bad day!

Have a great trip.

ChrisOD

On 2008-02-24, Spencer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> I am an older person who enjoys the time spent at the keyboard.I am
> reasonably proficient with basic software and use of Google, but I lack
> technical skills. I also enjoy overseas travel (recreational) and when I
> can find them,use internet cafes to keep in touch I have a trip to
> Europe booked for later this year and would like to persue the
> possiblity of taking a small computer but need lots of advice and
> comment. So, PLEASE help!!
> My basic requirements are to send and receive emails, read the Hearald
> on line, get walking and sightseeing instructions, store and edit my
> photos and monitor my financial affairs. I have looked at some of the
> hotels I will be using and most seem to offer wireless internet. How
> does this work and are ther any inherent problems?
> I would also like any comment on what type on machine I need. being
> older weight is a consideration. What about the Asus eee?
> Nny comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Spencer

I recently spent 5 weeks in France and found that the connectivity varied
a LOT.

Previously I had only really travelled in Europe in corporate land,
where connectivity in business hotels was a requirement and cost was
secondary. Recreational travel was different.

Paris in the 1ere (1st) arrondisment I stayed at the Westin Paris
fancy suite with broadband etc. (airpoints) it didn't work. Used the
"Business centre"

Paris in the Lamarck area apartment and used Internet cafes that
advertised Wi-Fi (Wee-Fee in France) they seldom worked either.

Mostly I just looked for some young un with mostly Mac Lappy sitting
on a step or in a park and asked them what Wi-Fi they used and hooked
into that. Paris and France generally is full of open Wi-Fi. I could
normally see 6 or more open networks.

In the south surprisingly most of the maison d'hotel had working Wi-Fi

But if not just wait until you are driving through a town and pull
over and ....

Chris

PeeCee

"Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fpss2h$hft$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am an older person who enjoys the time spent at the keyboard.I am
> reasonably proficient with basic software and use of Google, but I lack
> technical skills. I also enjoy overseas travel (recreational) and when I
> can find them,use internet cafes to keep in touch I have a trip to Europe
> booked for later this year and would like to persue the possiblity of
> taking a small computer but need lots of advice and comment. So, PLEASE
> help!!
> My basic requirements are to send and receive emails, read the Hearald on
> line, get walking and sightseeing instructions, store and edit my photos
> and monitor my financial affairs. I have looked at some of the hotels I
> will be using and most seem to offer wireless internet. How does this work
> and are ther any inherent problems?
> I would also like any comment on what type on machine I need. being older
> weight is a consideration. What about the Asus eee?
> Nny comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Spencer

Spencer.

A normal Laptop in a way is a pain in the rear on a overseas bus trip,
During a Europe trip I did I hid mine in the middle of my luggage bag each
day & prayed it would not be discovered.
Get a Kensington Lock cable.

Handy for photo storage, though one is usually so busy sightseeing just
backing up one's photo's is about all one should attempt.

The Asus Eee wouldn't be a bad alternative, as long as you appreciate it
runs Linux and not Windows so if you run into Laptop problems support could
be difficult to find.

If you stick to Web interfaces the Eee should be fine enough.

An Eee and two 2.5" external hard drives would be a nice tidy surfing/backup
combo.

Alternatively look at the Camera to Hard drive Bridge devices that are
available.
(not in your face common, but they are around)

Haven't been to UK/Europe since WiFi became common (I went in 2002) but a
lady I know who spends a lot of time in France tells me she just cruises
around until she finds an open WiFi cafe and sits outside checking her
email.

The Hotels I've been to have murderous fees for Wireless (Aus/NZ but I
believe UK/Europe is the same)

Don't forget your plug adaptors.
One small trick is to take a good old kiwi power strip, that way you'll only
need one set of power adaptors for the strip plug, everything else just uses
the normal NZ plug into the strip. (and they add up, cell phone, PDA,
Laptop, Camera, the wifes cell phone and camera chargers)

Best
Paul.

BTMO

"PeeCee" <> wrote

> A normal Laptop in a way is a pain in the rear on a overseas bus trip,
> During a Europe trip I did I hid mine in the middle of my luggage bag each
> day & prayed it would not be discovered.
> Get a Kensington Lock cable.

My partner got a Sony Vaio last year - the small one. She loves it. It is
light, small, powerful, fully featured and has a good keyboard.

I am guessing it is going to be a treat to travel with.

That said - when we were in Greece and Turkey last year, we found so many
internet cafes we didn't need a PC.

However, we DID notice that most places had either free or cheap wireless
available.

When we got to Australia, the wheels fell off. It was hopeless - apart from
downtown Melbourne. There was free, open networks everywhere!

> Handy for photo storage, though one is usually so busy sightseeing just
> backing up one's photo's is about all one should attempt.
>
> The Asus Eee wouldn't be a bad alternative, as long as you appreciate it
> runs Linux and not Windows so if you run into Laptop problems support
> could be difficult to find.

For travelling, I think they would be pretty much ideal. I would have bought
one in Greece - but they only had the demo model in the shop, and no pricing
available. Now, with the Vaio available, I probably won't bother.

Probably.

> If you stick to Web interfaces the Eee should be fine enough.
>
> An Eee and two 2.5" external hard drives would be a nice tidy
> surfing/backup combo.

Agree.

But I use big cards in my camera - I can take about 1500 photos before I
need to download.

> Alternatively look at the Camera to Hard drive Bridge devices that are
> available.
> (not in your face common, but they are around)
>
> Haven't been to UK/Europe since WiFi became common (I went in 2002) but a
> lady I know who spends a lot of time in France tells me she just cruises
> around until she finds an open WiFi cafe and sits outside checking her
> email.

I suspect much of Europe is like this today.

> The Hotels I've been to have murderous fees for Wireless (Aus/NZ but I
> believe UK/Europe is the same)
>
> Don't forget your plug adaptors.
> One small trick is to take a good old kiwi power strip, that way you'll
> only need one set of power adaptors for the strip plug, everything else
> just uses the normal NZ plug into the strip. (and they add up, cell phone,
> PDA, Laptop, Camera, the wifes cell phone and camera chargers)

Good advice - or just plan your day out...

Damos

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:47:43 +1300, Spencer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
> I am an older person who enjoys the time spent at the keyboard.I am
> reasonably proficient with basic software and use of Google, but I lack
> technical skills. I also enjoy overseas travel (recreational) and when I
> can find them,use internet cafes to keep in touch I have a trip to
> Europe booked for later this year and would like to persue the
> possiblity of taking a small computer but need lots of advice and
> comment. So, PLEASE help!!
> My basic requirements are to send and receive emails, read the Hearald
> on line, get walking and sightseeing instructions, store and edit my
> photos and monitor my financial affairs. I have looked at some of the
> hotels I will be using and most seem to offer wireless internet. How
> does this work and are ther any inherent problems?
> I would also like any comment on what type on machine I need. being
> older weight is a consideration. What about the Asus eee?
> Nny comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Spencer

Well it seems that I am in a minority here.I would say dont take a laptop
at all. Use the internet cafe's.
I lived and backpacked through europe and uk for three years til 2003.
Found cafe's even on smaller islands such as malta and smaller towns
in eastern turkey. Couldn't buy a beer and the gfirend was essentialy
wearing a berka but the towns all had internet.

Many hotels that I stayed at also had at least one pc sitting around for
guest use.

Use free webmail for email. There are risks with financial details I
realise but how big are the risks when using the very large commercial
cafe's.
ie easy net (same guy who ran easy jet). You'll be living on your credit
card so unless your going for months you might get away with all your
travelling within one bill cycle so pay when you get home. Alt would be to
get someone else to open your credit statement at home and pay the bills
with some presigned cheques. That way you never access financial details
on line while overseas.

Copy the photo's to disk at a booth then upload them to flicker or similar
(or copy copy from the card in the camera)

I would always be worried about where the laptop is and risks of theft and
the weight wont be worth it.

Damos.

--
"It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

Carl Sagan.

Keith

> But I use big cards in my camera - I can take about 1500 photos before I
> need to download.

Bit dangerous without backup?

BTMO

"Keith" <> wrote

>> But I use big cards in my camera - I can take about 1500 photos before I
>> need to download.

> Bit dangerous without backup?

Life is full of risks...

I like to travel light. If I lose the photos, I lose them. I still have
memories.

And (so far) lots of photos.

trueone

"Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fpss2h$hft$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am an older person who enjoys the time spent at the keyboard.I am

.. What about the Asus eee?
> Nny comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Spencer

Hi, I have just bought the eeepc for that purpose. It is ideal in most
respects. I will however put winxp on mine. My esyesight is not the best
now and I have increased the text size to make it easier to read. I find
the 7 inch screen a little too small but usable. The keyboard I manage with
no problems even though I have fat fingers. I would take either a small
usb hard drive to put photos on or else usb memory stick.

If like me your eyesight is week you may want to wait a month or 2 when Asus
releases the eeepc with a 9 or 10 inch screen.

Gilbert