Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

mustaphasiddique@aol.com

Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) and the IP's on the network keep
changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
this. Any ideas?

I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.

Thanks - Muzzy

Barb Bowman

some of the better residential routers have a DHCP reservation
function. check the documentation and see if your router supports
this. if not, see if you can specify the lease time - set it for the
longest time possible.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Lem

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) and the IP's on the network keep
> changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
> the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
> hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
> this. Any ideas?
>
> I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
> IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.
>
> Thanks - Muzzy

Of course, if your router doesn't support DHCP reservation, it's usually
not the router that hands out static IP addresses anyway. Usually, one
sets the client NIC to either "Obtain an IP address automatically"
(i.e., use the router's DHCP server; this is the Windows default) or
"Use the following IP address."

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

smlunatick

On Feb 24, 3:48*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) *and the IP's on the network keep
> changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
> the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
> hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
> this. Any ideas?
>
> I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
> IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.
>
> Thanks - Muzzy

Mosr routers only respond to IP address requests. If the DHCP service
in set correcly, the Ip address should always be the same (aka IP
reservations.) However, not all routers can do this. If yours does
not, them you will need to assign the IP addresses manually at each PC.

Sven Pran

"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) and the IP's on the network keep
> changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
> the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
> hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
> this. Any ideas?
>
> I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
> IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.
>
> Thanks - Muzzy

Mosr routers only respond to IP address requests. If the DHCP service
in set correcly, the Ip address should always be the same (aka IP
reservations.) However, not all routers can do this. If yours does
not, them you will need to assign the IP addresses manually at each PC.

But be aware that if you assign the IP addresses manually at each PC
then you must also specify DNS server addresses and (default) gateway
address manually for each PC because these addresses are normally
specified as part of the DHCP service.

The default gateway address will usually be static for the lifetime of your
subnet, in your case most likely 192.168.2.1, but the DNS addresses
may vary from time to time and cause you problems. (Quite likely the
DNS servers serving you reside in a different subnet and are only
accessible through one or more gateways.

regards Sven

mustaphasiddique@aol.com

Thanks for replies. This is getting a bit involved.

The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing
every time I boot up depending on what other
pc's are switched on on the network..

Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
suggest a way around this? There is no
reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

Phillip Windell

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
> a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing

"Low ID"? what in the world is that.

> every time I boot up depending on what other
> pc's are switched on on the network..
>
> Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
> suggest a way around this? There is no
> reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

Then just forget dynamic IP#s in the first place. These "routers" only
passout dynamic IP#s from a specific range. Manually assigning the machine
whatever IP# you want it to have from a number outside the DHCP Range.

What IP# the machine really gets almost means nothing. The IP# the machine
gets should mean absolutley nothing to EMule.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Barb Bowman

don't understand "low ID" - is this something on the emule side?
if you must use this kind of program, give the computer a static IP.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 03:29:29 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>Thanks for replies. This is getting a bit involved.
>
>The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
>a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing
>every time I boot up depending on what other
>pc's are switched on on the network..
>
>Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
>suggest a way around this? There is no
>reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

James Egan

wrote:

>Thanks for replies. This is getting a bit involved.
>
>The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
>a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing
>every time I boot up depending on what other
>pc's are switched on on the network..
>
>Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
>suggest a way around this? There is no
>reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

Set the pc to use a static (fixed) ip address instead of getting one
assigned by the router. You will need to enter the ip address of the
router as default gateway and dns nameserver.

You will also need to change the dhcp pool on the router so that the
static ip address you choose is outside the pool range.

eg set the pool from 192.168.2.10 to 50 and the static ip 192.168.2.2

Jim.

mustaphasiddique@aol.com

Many thanks for all help. It is now working fine
with static IP's and DHCP turned off.

It seems so easy in retrospect that I wonder
why on earth Belkin use the auto pallava in
the first place.