Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista Defrag

Vista Defrag

Don

Hey gang,

Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting installed
yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty neat, parts will
take me some getting used to.

I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.

I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into " computer",
and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it states it is
defragging " disks " , ie plural.

Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my
partitions?

Thanks,

Don

Maratonmannen

It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:

--
Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
Core™ 2 Extreme X6800

"Don" wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
> Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting installed
> yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty neat, parts will
> take me some getting used to.
>
> I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
> defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.
>
> I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into " computer",
> and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it states it is
> defragging " disks " , ie plural.
>
> Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my
> partitions?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Don

Don

Good deal, many thanks for the info !

--
Don

"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
> To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:
>
> --
> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> Core™ 2 Extreme X6800
> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0
> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> GeForce 8800GTX
> Enermax 1000W 75A@+12V
> LAN 100/100
> XP x64 dualboot Vista x64 SP1 (slipstreamed)
>

> "Don" wrote:
>
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting
>> installed
>> yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty neat, parts
>> will
>> take me some getting used to.
>>
>> I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
>> defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.
>>
>> I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into "
>> computer",
>> and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it states it
>> is
>> defragging " disks " , ie plural.
>>
>> Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my
>> partitions?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Don

xiowan

Hi"Maratonmannen":
I have several hard drives with a large number of saved recorded tv
programs which are recorded on my G: and then moved to other drives. On my
MCE2005 pc this results in 5 hard drives almost completely full and not
needing any defragmenting. On my Vista PC, I record movies on G: and move
them to my stosrage drives and they don't need to be defragmented ever. I
tried your suggestion on my Vista pc and when the "elevated" command prompt
window came up it said "system32". I closed the window in confusion because
I am running Vista x64 and don't understand why the command prompt came up as
"system32"? Is the command prompt window correct or should it have said
64-bit? I would love to be able to de-frag only the recording drive on a
regular basis because it gets very fragmented from frequent recordings,
deletions and transfers to other drives but hate Vista automatically
defragmenting over 2 TBs of stored content that doesn't need it. Should I go
ahead and use the "system32" command prompt that comes up automatically when
I enter "command prompt" in the Vista search box or is there a different
command prompt available for my x64 O.S.?

"Maratonmannen" wrote:

> It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
> To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:
>
> --
> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> Core™ 2 Extreme X6800
> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0
> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> GeForce 8800GTX
> Enermax 1000W 75A@+12V
> LAN 100/100
> XP x64 dualboot Vista x64 SP1 (slipstreamed)
>

> "Don" wrote:
>
> > Hey gang,
> >
> > Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting installed
> > yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty neat, parts will
> > take me some getting used to.
> >
> > I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
> > defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.
> >
> > I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into " computer",
> > and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it states it is
> > defragging " disks " , ie plural.
> >
> > Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my
> > partitions?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > Don

xiowan

Hi again "Maratonmannen":
Just for clarification this is what the Vista command prompt window says:

"Administrative Command Prompt"

"C:\Windows\system32>"

xiowan.........in tucson

"Maratonmannen" wrote:

> It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
> To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:
>
> --
> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> Core™ 2 Extreme X6800
> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0
> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> GeForce 8800GTX
> Enermax 1000W 75A@+12V
> LAN 100/100
> XP x64 dualboot Vista x64 SP1 (slipstreamed)
>

> "Don" wrote:
>
> > Hey gang,
> >
> > Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting installed
> > yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty neat, parts will
> > take me some getting used to.
> >
> > I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
> > defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.
> >
> > I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into " computer",
> > and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it states it is
> > defragging " disks " , ie plural.
> >
> > Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my
> > partitions?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > Don

DP

"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
> To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:

Does he have to choose the "run as administrator" option first? That's
always how I do it, though I've forgotten why.

Don

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23LuIwv%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It´s defraging all your drives/partitions.
>> To defrag C, type in a command prompt: defrag C:
>>

> Does he have to choose the "run as administrator" option first? That's
> always how I do it, though I've forgotten why.

Yes, I found out the hard way, first time I tried to do it and I got an
error that had to run as administrator or something like that, I did a
search in help and found how I needed to right click it and select to run as
administrator, once I did that it defragged just my C partition just fine.

--
Don

R. C. White

Hi, Don.

Open an Administrator:Command Prompt. Any command or application launched
in this window will "run elevated".

There are several ways to open this window; here's one way: Click Start |
All Programs | Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, then click Run as
Administrator. You'll need the Administrator's password to get past here.

The window will open, by default, in C:\Windows\system32. That's the folder
where cmd.exe resides (along with most of the other operating system files).
Don't worry about the "32" in "system32"; that's a holdover from the
original WinXP (or was it in Win95?). That is still the name of the folder
in Vista x64.

While you are here, type Set and press Enter. You should see a list of your
Environment Variables, including "SystemRoot=C:\Windows" and many others.
This Set command goes back several generations of the operating system; that
Prompt command goes back to MS-DOS! Type Help and press Enter to get a list
of dozens of commands that can be used in this window, along with a one-line
description of what each one does. Pick one and type the command followed
by /? to see a mini-help file showing the parameters that can be used with
that command, like Dir /?. Of course, any command that can do a lot of good
can also do a lot of damage if used improperly, so handle with care.

Type dir dfrg* to see a list of Defrag executable files. If you type
DfrgNtfs, you will get a message that "Command line operation of Disk
Defragmenter is not supported." But if you type "Defrag C:", it will start
defragging C: immediately, since you've launched the command from the
Administrator CP window.

Or, as you said, you can run the built-in defragger from the GUI:
Computer | right-click on Drive C: (for example) | Properties | Tools |
Defragmentation | Defragment Now...; you'll need the password to pass this
point.

I've never used Diskeeper.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey gang,
>
> Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting
> installed yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty neat,
> parts will take me some getting used to.
>
> I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
> defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.
>
> I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into "
> computer", and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it
> states it is defragging " disks " , ie plural.
>
> Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my
> partitions?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Don

Don

Hi R.C.,

Thanks for the great info, very helpful, I appreciate it!

--
Don

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> Have been messing around with Vista 64 bit Ultimate since getting
>> installed yesterday to dual boot with XP Pro. Parts of it are pretty
>> neat, parts will take me some getting used to.
>>
>> I use Executive Software Diskeeper, in my XP Pro install. I can use it to
>> defrage the drive my Vista install is on as well.
>>
>> I am curious about the Vista built in defragger, when I go into "
>> computer", and right click a hard drive, click on tools, then defrag, it
>> states it is defragging " disks " , ie plural.
>>
>> Is it defragging just the drive I selected, or is it defragging all my

xiowan

Hello R.C. White:
I also thank you for the useful reply. I'm going disable Vista's
automatic defragmenting and do it thru the command prompt. I hate to have
Vista messing with drives that don't need any attention and from now on will
just de-frag my C: drive and recording drive G: Your tip will save me the
cost of buying a 3rd party program for disk defragmenting and also a lot of
time learning how to use it!

xiowan........in tucson