Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64 wont recignize flash drive or camera

Vista 64 wont recignize flash drive or camera

Turtlescout

Vista 64 didn't recignize my Panasonic camera, so I removed the sd card and
used a card reader which vista64 couldnt find a driver for either. How do I
make this work? Is microsoft putting any real effort into their 64bit os or
am I waisting my time?

John Barnes

Microsoft doesn't do product specific drivers. If you need drivers you are
going to have to contact the manufacturer. Many do not provide 64-bit
drivers, and on the other hand many are designed to use the default drivers
for usb devices.

"Turtlescout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista 64 didn't recignize my Panasonic camera, so I removed the sd card
> and
> used a card reader which vista64 couldnt find a driver for either. How do
> make this work? Is microsoft putting any real effort into their 64bit os
> or
> am I waisting my time?

waxace

I am running a very powerful 64 bit system that I built and I have no issues
with My Canon or Olympus or any other cameras I attach to the system through
USB 2.0.
Now, the Olympus and others show as their own drive and named so.
The Canon just hooked right up and is a drive on it's own not like the others.
Taking the cards out of each instead of hooking them up through USB as I
stated before, I plug the cards into a universal reader OR my printer gives
me no issues at all.
I have to assume that you have a driver issue although most cameras install
the drivers when they are connected.
I suggest you go to the site of your camera and check for new updated
drivers and/or 64bit drivers.
It is possible that the camera you have will not work on a 64bit system.
With that said, I want to say that even though I have a fast and powerful
system, it STILL should not make a difference. There are a lot of programs
(More each week) that are updating to 64bit and even the ones that are not
seem to run in a lot of cases along side of 64bit....
--
JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG....
WAXACE

"Turtlescout" wrote:

> Vista 64 didn't recignize my Panasonic camera, so I removed the sd card and
> used a card reader which vista64 couldnt find a driver for either. How do I
> make this work? Is microsoft putting any real effort into their 64bit os or
> am I waisting my time?

R. C. White

Hi, Turtlescout.

My Vista Ultimate x64 sees both my Nikon camera and my SD card reader just
fine.

Tell us more about your card reader: Is it built into your computer? If
not, what is the make and model? Is it plugged directly into a USB port, or
into a hub? If it plugs directly into the computer, then Vista's built-in
drivers should work, but if it uses a hub, you may need drivers for that
hub. Does this reader work with another computer?

You should be able to see this card reader in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)
and assign it a "drive" letter to use (semi-)permanently, each time you
remove and re-insert it into the USB port.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Turtlescout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista 64 didn't recignize my Panasonic camera, so I removed the sd card
> and
> used a card reader which vista64 couldnt find a driver for either. How do
> make this work? Is microsoft putting any real effort into their 64bit os
> or
> am I waisting my time?

Sov

I don't know if this is related or not, but I had a lot of problem with USB
and 1394 devices after installing Vista64.

I am new to Vista so I am not sure which drivers I should be installing or
what the differences are, but I was able to fix both my USB and 1394 issues
by installing drivers from the Winsxs folder.

There are drivers in three different folders (drivers, driverstore, and
winsxs); perhaps someone here can explain their differences.

--Sov

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Turtlescout.
>
> My Vista Ultimate x64 sees both my Nikon camera and my SD card reader just
> fine.
>
> Tell us more about your card reader: Is it built into your computer? If
> not, what is the make and model? Is it plugged directly into a USB port, or
> into a hub? If it plugs directly into the computer, then Vista's built-in
> drivers should work, but if it uses a hub, you may need drivers for that
> hub. Does this reader work with another computer?
>
> You should be able to see this card reader in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)
> and assign it a "drive" letter to use (semi-)permanently, each time you
> remove and re-insert it into the USB port.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Turtlescout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Vista 64 didn't recignize my Panasonic camera, so I removed the sd card
> > and
> > used a card reader which vista64 couldnt find a driver for either. How do
> > make this work? Is microsoft putting any real effort into their 64bit os
> > or
> > am I waisting my time?

Turtlescout

What I ended up doing, is pluging in my devivce. My Panasonic camera and my
genaric card reader, and restart my computer with the Vista disk in the
drive. I then canceled the "locate Driver" window and it see it as a mass
storage device. Its a little messy to do it this way, but its better than
ditching everything and going back to 32bit (maybe)
Thanks

"waxace" wrote:

> I am running a very powerful 64 bit system that I built and I have no issues
> with My Canon or Olympus or any other cameras I attach to the system through
> USB 2.0.
> Now, the Olympus and others show as their own drive and named so.
> The Canon just hooked right up and is a drive on it's own not like the others.
> Taking the cards out of each instead of hooking them up through USB as I
> stated before, I plug the cards into a universal reader OR my printer gives
> me no issues at all.
> I have to assume that you have a driver issue although most cameras install
> the drivers when they are connected.
> I suggest you go to the site of your camera and check for new updated
> drivers and/or 64bit drivers.
> It is possible that the camera you have will not work on a 64bit system.
> With that said, I want to say that even though I have a fast and powerful
> system, it STILL should not make a difference. There are a lot of programs
> (More each week) that are updating to 64bit and even the ones that are not
> seem to run in a lot of cases along side of 64bit....
> --
> JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG....
> WAXACE
>

> "Turtlescout" wrote:
>
> > Vista 64 didn't recignize my Panasonic camera, so I removed the sd card and
> > used a card reader which vista64 couldnt find a driver for either. How do I
> > make this work? Is microsoft putting any real effort into their 64bit os or
> > am I waisting my time?

Sov

You can try installing new drivers in /windows/system32/driverstore or winsxy.

Don't let Vista search though because it won't find it. What you need to do
is install them manually (i.e., type in the location path)....

c:/windows/system32/driverstore

or

c:/windows/system32/winsxs

I worked for me....