Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Leaning out Vista 64 a little?

Leaning out Vista 64 a little?

Don

Hey gang,

Ok , now that I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed and running good, on a
different hard drive, are there any tips for leaning it out a little?

I am new to Vista, and have heard it has some bloat , are there any services
, background things going on, that I can disable to get it a littler leaner
and meaner so to speak?
I have disabled indexing to allow for faster searching, so far that is all I
have done.

Thanks for any tips,

--
Don

Colin Barnhorst

If you are satisfied with performance, leave it as is for a few days and let
the system optimize itself to your uses.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey gang,
>
> Ok , now that I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed and running good, on
> a different hard drive, are there any tips for leaning it out a little?
>
> I am new to Vista, and have heard it has some bloat , are there any
> services , background things going on, that I can disable to get it a
> littler leaner and meaner so to speak?
> I have disabled indexing to allow for faster searching, so far that is all
> I have done.
>
> Thanks for any tips,
>

> --
> Don

Gary Mount

You can lean out Ultimate a little more by using the 32 bit version. Then
you use less of your ram. If you have 2GB or more ram, then I don't see any
reason to "lean" it at all.
I have a laptop computer that only had 64 MB of ram and giving it more head
room with regards to memory usage greatly speeded it up. However, after
adding an additional 128 MB (for its max. possible of 192MB), it hardly made
much difference to turn off services.
With the cost of ram so cheap now, there doesn't seem any reason not to have
enough ram. As you indicate you have a 64 bit chip, then I know you have a
fairly new system.
Any services that do run such as defragmenter and indexing may slow things
down while they are running, however in the long run you get an improvement
in your overall computing experience. Defragmenter also mostly runs when the
system is idle, when it is running.

You can use the "net start" command in a command prompt to see what services
are running. Then type net stop "name of service you would like to stop
running" and see if it makes much of a difference.

Take a look at the cpu utilization with task manager. I am currently using
3% CPU Usage with 67 processes running. My computer is about 4 years old.

I could understand if you wanted to get the maximum frame rate while playing
games you might want to turn off services, but generally it doesn't seem
worthwhile.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey gang,
>
> Ok , now that I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed and running good, on
> a different hard drive, are there any tips for leaning it out a little?
>
> I am new to Vista, and have heard it has some bloat , are there any
> services , background things going on, that I can disable to get it a
> littler leaner and meaner so to speak?
> I have disabled indexing to allow for faster searching, so far that is all
> I have done.
>
> Thanks for any tips,
>

> --
> Don

Don

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it is mainly to get maximum performance in some games, but it is pretty
good right now so will leave as it is for a while.

I do have 4 gb of PC8500 of ram, and an Intel Core2 Due E6600 overclocked
to 3.33 ghz.

--
Don

"Gary Mount" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can lean out Ultimate a little more by using the 32 bit version. Then
> you use less of your ram. If you have 2GB or more ram, then I don't see
> any reason to "lean" it at all.
> I have a laptop computer that only had 64 MB of ram and giving it more
> head room with regards to memory usage greatly speeded it up. However,
> after adding an additional 128 MB (for its max. possible of 192MB), it
> hardly made much difference to turn off services.
> With the cost of ram so cheap now, there doesn't seem any reason not to
> have enough ram. As you indicate you have a 64 bit chip, then I know you
> have a fairly new system.
> Any services that do run such as defragmenter and indexing may slow things
> down while they are running, however in the long run you get an
> improvement in your overall computing experience. Defragmenter also mostly
> runs when the system is idle, when it is running.
>
> You can use the "net start" command in a command prompt to see what
> services are running. Then type net stop "name of service you would like
> to stop running" and see if it makes much of a difference.
>
> Take a look at the cpu utilization with task manager. I am currently using
> 3% CPU Usage with 67 processes running. My computer is about 4 years old.
>
> I could understand if you wanted to get the maximum frame rate while
> playing games you might want to turn off services, but generally it
> doesn't seem worthwhile.
>

> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> Ok , now that I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed and running good, on
>> a different hard drive, are there any tips for leaning it out a little?
>>
>> I am new to Vista, and have heard it has some bloat , are there any
>> services , background things going on, that I can disable to get it a
>> littler leaner and meaner so to speak?
>> I have disabled indexing to allow for faster searching, so far that is
>> all I have done.
>>
>> Thanks for any tips,
>>

>> --
>> Don

waxace

Hello Don,
Just to let you know, your 64 bit system should be fine with 4 g of memory.
I have 16G and it did make a big difference but 4 g should also be fine
unless you are running a lot of programs and utilities at once.
Also, I was one of the lucky few that got SP1 sent to me through Windows
Update.
That was a glitch from MS. Not supposed to be sent out to the public until
March.
SP1 DID make files respond faster and there were a lot of improvements.
Boost you RAM, wait for SP1 before you "LeanOut" your system
I personally feel it is unneccessary at this point.
See the suggested limits of memory from MS below.

X86
X64

Windows Vista Ultimate 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Enterprise 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Business 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB
Windows Vista Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB

JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG....
WAXACE

"Don" wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
> Ok , now that I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed and running good, on a
> different hard drive, are there any tips for leaning it out a little?
>
> I am new to Vista, and have heard it has some bloat , are there any services
> , background things going on, that I can disable to get it a littler leaner
> and meaner so to speak?
> I have disabled indexing to allow for faster searching, so far that is all I
> have done.
>
> Thanks for any tips,
>

> --
> Don

Don

Will do, thanks for the good info waxace.

--
Don

news(E-Mail Removed)...