Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed

Reply
Thread Tools

If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed

 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed.
Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.


That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.

or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.


I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
been different.

Yeah, I am ****ed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.

I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
godslabrat@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
On Feb 23, 1:11*pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed.


If you were Toshiba, maybe you actually would have marketed your own
product, and convinced more than a few studios to release movies on
your format. Unfortunately, the group that's actually called
"Toshiba" in the real world did no such thing.

> Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
> DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.


Umm... why? If you already have the movie, why would you need another
copy of it?

> That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.


If you already have the movie, I'd fail to see the appeal to having a
redundant copy.

> or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
> so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.


If you want real copies, you'll need to use a PC.

> I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
> been different.


I also think selling the hardware at anything resembling a profit
might have helped.

> Yeah, I am ****ed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
> plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.


If it bothers you, you are not the type of consumer who should be an
early adopter.

> I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD


Have fun!

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Telstar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 23, 1:11 pm, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed.


If you were Toshiba, maybe you actually would have marketed your own
product, and convinced more than a few studios to release movies on
your format. Unfortunately, the group that's actually called
"Toshiba" in the real world did no such thing.

Nonsense


> Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
> DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.



They signed agreements on copy protection. No way.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robo-man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed.
> Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
> DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
>
>
> That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
>
> or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
> so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
>
>
> I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
> been different.
>
> Yeah, I am ****ed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
> plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
>
> I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD




You should have done your 'Homework' better.

Also Toshiba was ready to throw in the towel back in '2005' but 'Micro$oft'
jumped in and kept the format war going for another THREE F***ING YEARS.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa152.html#rd


 
Reply With Quote
 
GMAN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed.
>Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
>DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
>
>


Toshiba doesnt have the legal right to give away other peoples legal
works!!!!!


>That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
>
>or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
>so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
>
>
>I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
>been different.
>
>Yeah, I am ****ed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
>plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
>
>I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD


You do know Toshiba was going to drop HDDVD back in 2005 and join up with the
blu ray camp but Microsoft talked them out of it??????


http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

"Through 2005, Toshiba continued to struggle with HD-DVD. The components
required to to render HD video and display Microsoft’s HDi were similar to a
low-end PC, and cost roughly $675 just for the bill of materials. That left
Toshiba with a major hardware loss when trying to sell the players at a $500
consumer price target. The company was ready to drop HD-DVD that year and join
the Blu-Ray consortium, but Microsoft pushed it to continue."


 
Reply With Quote
 
GMAN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008
In article <mBhwj.20587$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Robo-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed.
>> Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
>> DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
>>
>>
>> That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
>>
>> or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
>> so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
>>
>>
>> I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
>> been different.
>>
>> Yeah, I am ****ed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
>> plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
>>
>> I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

>
>
>
>You should have done your 'Homework' better.
>
>Also Toshiba was ready to throw in the towel back in '2005' but 'Micro$oft'
>jumped in and kept the format war going for another THREE F***ING YEARS.
>
>http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa152.html#rd
>
>

Heres more to backup Robo-man's post


http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
 
Reply With Quote
 
GMAN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008
In article <mBhwj.20587$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Robo-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> If I were Toshiba, I would be ****ed.
>> Toshiba should now make available, a patch to remove encryption on HD-
>> DVD players, so we can make copies of HD movies.
>>
>>
>> That would "give back" to the HD-DVD users.
>>
>> or make an HD-DVD recorder that can bypass blue-ray's copy protection,
>> so we can connect directly to a blue ray player and make copies.
>>
>>
>> I still think if HD-DVD, put out more recorders, the outcome would have
>> been different.
>>
>> Yeah, I am ****ed, because I bought the $200 HD-DVD player, but it still
>> plays dvd, so it's not totally useless yet.
>>
>> I will still look for a HD-DVD burner for making home movies to HD-DVD

>
>
>
>You should have done your 'Homework' better.
>
>Also Toshiba was ready to throw in the towel back in '2005' but 'Micro$oft'
>jumped in and kept the format war going for another THREE F***ING YEARS.
>
>http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa152.html#rd
>
>



http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

"The public wasn’t aware of what was going on behind the scenes because
Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign that suggested
that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver more content. Backers
were fed talking points that insisted that HD-DVD discs were cheaper to
create, that the Chinese would pump out ultra cheap players to support
Microsoft, and that HD-DVD’s DRM was somehow easier to get around than
Blu-Ray. This was all false.

When charged with the reality that Microsoft is nothing more than a marketing
organization pushing inferior technology tied to proprietary standards that
will later be leveraged to extort higher prices, the company responds with a
smoke screen that declares that its products will be first-to-market and
supported by lowballing Chinese manufacturers. At the same time however,
Microsoft has only ever delivered late, inferior products that have a higher
total cost of ownership. Its supporters have worked hard to bury this reality
even as Microsoft continues to raise prices on poor products that have limited
competition, such as Windows Vista."







 
Reply With Quote
 
Robo-man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008
> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
>
> "The public wasn't aware of what was going on behind the scenes because
> Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign that
> suggested
> that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver more content. Backers
> were fed talking points that insisted that HD-DVD discs were cheaper to
> create, that the Chinese would pump out ultra cheap players to support
> Microsoft, and that HD-DVD's DRM was somehow easier to get around than
> Blu-Ray. This was all false.
>
> When charged with the reality that Microsoft is nothing more than a
> marketing
> organization pushing inferior technology tied to proprietary standards
> that
> will later be leveraged to extort higher prices, the company responds with
> a
> smoke screen that declares that its products will be first-to-market and
> supported by lowballing Chinese manufacturers. At the same time however,
> Microsoft has only ever delivered late, inferior products that have a
> higher
> total cost of ownership. Its supporters have worked hard to bury this
> reality
> even as Microsoft continues to raise prices on poor products that have
> limited
> competition, such as Windows Vista."
>



You know. Apple Computer should make one of their cute little PC vs Mac
comercials regarding this colossal HD-DVD failure.
Man it would be a hoot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008
Robo-man wrote:
>>http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
>>
>>"The public wasn't aware of what was going on behind the scenes because
>>Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign that
>>suggested
>>that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver more content. Backers
>>were fed talking points that insisted that HD-DVD discs were cheaper to
>>create, that the Chinese would pump out ultra cheap players to support
>>Microsoft, and that HD-DVD's DRM was somehow easier to get around than
>>Blu-Ray. This was all false.
>>
>>When charged with the reality that Microsoft is nothing more than a
>>marketing
>>organization pushing inferior technology tied to proprietary standards
>>that
>>will later be leveraged to extort higher prices, the company responds with
>>a
>>smoke screen that declares that its products will be first-to-market and
>>supported by lowballing Chinese manufacturers. At the same time however,
>>Microsoft has only ever delivered late, inferior products that have a
>>higher
>>total cost of ownership. Its supporters have worked hard to bury this reality
>>even as Microsoft continues to raise prices on poor products that have
>>limited competition, such as Windows Vista."

>
> You know. Apple Computer should make one of their cute little PC vs Mac
> comercials regarding this colossal HD-DVD failure.
> Man it would be a hoot.


Well--for similar MS/Universal reasons--it *was* Apple pushing Disney
into being the New Evangelist for Blu-Ray...
Don't think they like anyone spotting the connections, though.

Derek Janssen (and besides, there's enough laughs in Vista jokes as it is)
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robo-man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2008



> Well--for similar MS/Universal reasons--it *was* Apple pushing Disney into
> being the New Evangelist for Blu-Ray...
> Don't think they like anyone spotting the connections, though.

Interesting.

(and besides, there's enough laughs in Vista jokes as it is)
I have to disagree with that. LOL


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
****ed off windandwaves HTML 29 10-17-2005 10:28 PM
Are you ****ed at paying $39.95 for special features? DVD Video 67 05-12-2004 05:08 AM
Downloading movies -- Should I be grateful or ****ed off? Nunsploitation Webmaster DVD Video 54 02-19-2004 02:20 AM
828 owners will be ****ed at the new pro1 Hugo Drax Digital Photography 38 02-09-2004 05:53 AM
Stoopid is ****ed that he can't rip his bank off!!!! Just Taylor Computer Support 34 08-02-2003 01:11 AM



Advertisments