Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Thank You, Hauppauge

Reply
Thread Tools

Thank You, Hauppauge

 
 
Just Visiting
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that works
perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows. We've burned enough
money into DVD recorders and DVRs that these electronic companies are
putting out in retail stores. And so much for new and advanced
technology in Vista's crippled Media Center, too. We're in trouble if
the future is here!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fishface
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
Just Visiting wrote:
> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that
> works perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows.


So, what product of theirs is it that has you feeling all warm and fuzzy?
Are you recording OTA DTV in the 'States' or some other broadcast
standard elsewhere? Oh, and how do you view this recorded content
afterward?

Or perhaps you work for Hauppauge? We can't just take your word for
it, I hope you understand.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Just Visiting
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:31:22 GMT, "Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?>
wrote:

>Just Visiting wrote:
>> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that
>> works perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows.

>
>So, what product of theirs is it that has you feeling all warm and fuzzy?
>Are you recording OTA DTV in the 'States' or some other broadcast
>standard elsewhere? Oh, and how do you view this recorded content
>afterward?
>
>Or perhaps you work for Hauppauge? We can't just take your word for
>it, I hope you understand.
>


We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.
 
Reply With Quote
 
olfart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008

"Just Visiting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:31:22 GMT, "Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?>
> wrote:
>
>>Just Visiting wrote:
>>> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that
>>> works perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows.

>>
>>So, what product of theirs is it that has you feeling all warm and fuzzy?
>>Are you recording OTA DTV in the 'States' or some other broadcast
>>standard elsewhere? Oh, and how do you view this recorded content
>>afterward?
>>
>>Or perhaps you work for Hauppauge? We can't just take your word for
>>it, I hope you understand.
>>

>
> We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
> enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
> all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
> QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
> antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
> everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
> Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
> paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
> electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
> use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.


you might want to look at HAVA...it's similar to Slingbox but with more
features including burning
you can record to HD or burn to a DVD without all the DRM limitations. Burns
a 3 hour movie in less than 15 minutes.
There is also a supplemental program...HAVA AutoRecord...which lets you
schedule recording in advance right off of the program listing. I use it
with my DirecTV setup and get excellent results. An NO I don't work for
HAVA. Haven't used MS Media Center in months.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Triebold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
I have heard that Hauppauge is coming out with a dual-tuner ATSC PCIe card
around April. This is exactly what I have been looking for and plan to buy
one as soon as they become available. The Hauppauge brand name gives me a
little more confidence than most others.

"Just Visiting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that works
> perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows. We've burned enough
> money into DVD recorders and DVRs that these electronic companies are
> putting out in retail stores. And so much for new and advanced
> technology in Vista's crippled Media Center, too. We're in trouble if
> the future is here!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fishface
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
Just Visiting wrote:

> We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
> enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
> all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
> QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
> antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
> everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
> Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
> paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
> electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
> use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.


I guess everybody has their own set of specific needs and wants.
I don't subscribe to cable, so the QAM aspect is of no use to me. I
currently have an NTSC tuner card with poor reception of the lower
NTSC OTA channels. My workflow may seem a little ridiculous, but
I've gotten very good at it. It is as follows:

1. Capture to NTSC DVD standard MPEG2 (timer recording)
2. Import .mpg into DVD-LAB to demultiplex (drag and drop)
3. Trim and edit commercials with Mpeg2schnitt
4. Re-import trimmed .mpg into DVD-LAB to author and burn a
quick $0.35 DVD for playing in upscaling SD DVD Player.

I can do all in about five minutes, excluding comiling and burning time,
which does not require my attention.

I am impressed by the performance of the ATSC OTA tuners compared
to the NTSC OTA tuners, and but would need a solution for trimming and
viewing HD content after recording. Perhaps capturing to a networked
drive and somehow playing back through a networked set-top box to the
HDTV would be the ideal solution, if such can be done at a reasonable
cost. Ideally, content could be played back to any TV in the house.

As an interim solution, I picked-up one of those ATSC tuner boxes which
outputs composite and a $9 indoor antenna at Walmart to play with. It
receives all the channels perfectly. My tuner card has a composite and
S-VIDEO input, and can be set to timer record from those inputs. The
resulting recorded SD is good for DVD authoring and size, not so good
for viewing, but much better than the NTSC tuner. This solution is not very
good for subsequent unattended timer recording of different channels,
though, which do need to be set manually.

I looked-up the HAVA, but that seems to be 480i only.



 
Reply With Quote
 
G-squared
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
On Feb 23, 11:06*am, "Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote:
> Just Visiting wrote:
> > We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
> > enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and

fuzzy
> > all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're

recording
> > QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
> > antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of

course,
> > everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
> > Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being

a
> > paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using

other
> > electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's

refreshing to
> > use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.

>
> I guess everybody has their own set of specific needs and wants.
> I don't subscribe to cable, so the QAM aspect is of no use to me.

*I
> currently have an NTSC tuner card with poor reception of the lower
> NTSC OTA channels. *My workflow may seem a little ridiculous, but
> I've gotten very good at it. *It is as follows:
>
> * * *1. *Capture to NTSC DVD standard MPEG2 (timer recording)
> * * *2. *Import .mpg into DVD-LAB to demultiplex (drag and drop)
> * * *3. *Trim and edit commercials with Mpeg2schnitt
> * * *4. *Re-import trimmed .mpg into DVD-LAB to author and burn a
> * * * * * quick $0.35 DVD for playing in upscaling SD DVD Player.
>
> I can do all in about five minutes, excluding comiling and burning

time,
> which does not require my attention.
>
> I am impressed by the performance of the ATSC OTA tuners compared
> to the NTSC OTA tuners, and but would need a solution for trimming

and
> viewing HD content after recording. *Perhaps capturing to a

networked
> drive and somehow playing back through a networked set-top box to

the
> HDTV would be the ideal solution, if such can be done at a

reasonable
> cost. *Ideally, content could be played back to any TV in the

house.
>
> As an interim solution, I picked-up one of those ATSC tuner boxes

which
> outputs composite and a $9 indoor antenna at Walmart to play with.

*It
> receives all the channels perfectly. *My tuner card has a composite

and
> S-VIDEO input, and can be set to timer record from those inputs.

The
> resulting recorded SD is good for DVD authoring and size, not so

good
> for viewing, but much better than the NTSC tuner. *This solution is

not very
> good for subsequent unattended timer recording of different

channels,
> though, which do need to be set manually.
>
> I looked-up the HAVA, but that seems to be 480i only.


Do you record to the DVDs so that you can keep them or is it just a
vehicle to use in multiple locations? I don't go with DVDs as I don't
really want to watch a show more than once or twice so keeping them
'temporarily' archived on USB hard drives works pretty well. 500 gig
USB drives can be had for $110 and hold 100+ 'hours' (42 minutes) of
HD content. Editing out spots is very easy with VideoReDo and takes
about 5 minutes for a 1 hour show and may take that and more to output
the file though it doesn't require much in resources so you can keep
surfing or doing other things while it's busy.

The main TV recording computer (1 of 3) has a timer start to get that
one show Friday afternoon. I don't like leaving machines on so the
timer start of the machine works out well. While the computers do
sometimes crash and lose a show, the mistakes on my part are 3 times
more likely. Out of several hundred intended recordings, a total of 19
have been botched. Except for a few SD shows, the bulk is all HD.

GG
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
"Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote in message news:K8_vj.428$my3.326@trndny06...
> Just Visiting wrote:
>
> > We've been using the WinTV-HVR-1800 card and it's been quite
> > enjoyable. I wouldn't necessarily say that it makes me warm and fuzzy
> > all over but it does bring a sense of satisfaction. We're recording
> > QAM channels and they look very good. We could hook up an ATSC
> > antenna, too, but we're happy with what we got right now. Of course,
> > everything records to the hard drive. And, no, I do not work for
> > Hauppauge or have any association to the company except for being a
> > paying customer. After spending many frustrating hours using other
> > electronic equipment we've bought for TV recording, it's refreshing to
> > use a product that actually does what it's supposed to do.

>
> I guess everybody has their own set of specific needs and wants.
> I don't subscribe to cable, so the QAM aspect is of no use to me. I
> currently have an NTSC tuner card with poor reception of the lower
> NTSC OTA channels. My workflow may seem a little ridiculous, but
> I've gotten very good at it. It is as follows:
>
> 1. Capture to NTSC DVD standard MPEG2 (timer recording)
> 2. Import .mpg into DVD-LAB to demultiplex (drag and drop)
> 3. Trim and edit commercials with Mpeg2schnitt
> 4. Re-import trimmed .mpg into DVD-LAB to author and burn a
> quick $0.35 DVD for playing in upscaling SD DVD Player.
>
> I can do all in about five minutes, excluding comiling and burning time,
> which does not require my attention.


Just for casual viewing, that seems like a lot of wasted time. I simply
capture to a Hauppauge PVR-150, directly edit the MPEG2 files in
VideoRedo (to nuke the commercials), then copy the resulting MPG
files to a data DVD. Authoring is no longer necessary on most
standalone players unless you need menus, titles or other fancy stuff.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Snowbound
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Just Visiting <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> no, I do not work for Hauppauge or have any association to the
> company except for being a paying customer.


That's really too bad, if it's true. When I find a company whose
product or service I like, the first thing I do is investigate the
possibility of investing in it, especially if it's a small-cap.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wes Newell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2008
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:47:31 -0500, Just Visiting wrote:

> My compliments to Hauppauge for making a wonderful product that works
> perfectly for scheduled recordings of HDTV shows. We've burned enough
> money into DVD recorders and DVRs that these electronic companies are
> putting out in retail stores. And so much for new and advanced
> technology in Vista's crippled Media Center, too. We're in trouble if
> the future is here!


And I'd like to thank Techsan for dumping all their early ATSC Air2PC
cards so I could buy them on ebay for under $20 each and now have 6 of
them in my MythTV system, which cost $0. It's really nice not to be
limited to recording 1 or 2 shows at a time.



--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hauppauge PVR 500 MCE Silverstrand Front Page News 6 07-04-2005 05:07 PM
help please hauppauge wintv pvr 350 pci card M Bowers Computer Support 0 07-10-2004 12:16 PM
Sky+ remote & Hauppauge TV Card Kimball K Kinnison Computer Support 0 11-25-2003 05:53 PM
Thank You CJ, Thank Mike! mytho Computer Support 7 11-23-2003 06:50 AM



Advertisments