Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Setting up Vista Ultimate 64 bit do dual boot with XP Pro 32 bit

Setting up Vista Ultimate 64 bit do dual boot with XP Pro 32 bit

Don

Hey gang,

I have just received Vista Ultimate, along with a new hard drive to put it
on, to dual boot with my current XP Pro 32 bit. I did a google search to try
and do some reading on this.

I have read , of an issue with restore points being deleted with this
configuration, but believe there is a way to edit the boot file to keep this
from happening?

I have also read there is a program, Vista BootPro, that would be good to
use for this, rather than the built in Vista boot manager?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Don

EVGA 780i MB
Intel Core2 Duo E6600@ 3.24 ghz
Zalman 9700 NT heatsink/fan
BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
CoolerMaster 830 Evolution Case
4 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2

John Barnes

If by third party boot manager which totally hides the Vista system, you can
protect the restore points, otherwise no. VistaBootPro works with the Vista
Boot Manager, does not have its own.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-about.php

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey gang,
>
> I have just received Vista Ultimate, along with a new hard drive to put it
> on, to dual boot with my current XP Pro 32 bit. I did a google search to
> try and do some reading on this.
>
> I have read , of an issue with restore points being deleted with this
> configuration, but believe there is a way to edit the boot file to keep
> this from happening?
>
> I have also read there is a program, Vista BootPro, that would be good to
> use for this, rather than the built in Vista boot manager?
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Don
>
> EVGA 780i MB
> Intel Core2 Duo E6600@ 3.24 ghz
> Zalman 9700 NT heatsink/fan
> BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
> CoolerMaster 830 Evolution Case
> 4 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2

Jud Hendrix

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:12:21 -0600, "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

You might want to check out this article on APC Magazine:
http://www.apcmag.com/dualboot

jud

Don

Thanks John,

Which restore points get deleted, Vista's, XP's, or both?

If just Vista, then I could live with that for now. I would rather my XP
restore points stay intact.

--
Don

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If by third party boot manager which totally hides the Vista system, you
> can protect the restore points, otherwise no. VistaBootPro works with the
> Vista Boot Manager, does not have its own.
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-about.php
>
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> I have just received Vista Ultimate, along with a new hard drive to put
>> it on, to dual boot with my current XP Pro 32 bit. I did a google search
>> to try and do some reading on this.
>>
>> I have read , of an issue with restore points being deleted with this
>> configuration, but believe there is a way to edit the boot file to keep
>> this from happening?
>>
>> I have also read there is a program, Vista BootPro, that would be good to
>> use for this, rather than the built in Vista boot manager?
>>
>> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> Don
>>
>> EVGA 780i MB
>> Intel Core2 Duo E6600@ 3.24 ghz
>> Zalman 9700 NT heatsink/fan
>> BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
>> CoolerMaster 830 Evolution Case
>> 4 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2

Don

Thanks Jud,

--
Don

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:12:21 -0600, "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> You might want to check out this article on APC Magazine:
> http://www.apcmag.com/dualboot
>
> jud

John Barnes

You're in luck then, it is only the Vista restore points which are deleted

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks John,
>
> Which restore points get deleted, Vista's, XP's, or both?
>
> If just Vista, then I could live with that for now. I would rather my XP
> restore points stay intact.
>

> --
> Don

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If by third party boot manager which totally hides the Vista system, you
>> can protect the restore points, otherwise no. VistaBootPro works with
>> the Vista Boot Manager, does not have its own.
>> http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-about.php
>>
>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> I have just received Vista Ultimate, along with a new hard drive to put
>>> it on, to dual boot with my current XP Pro 32 bit. I did a google search
>>> to try and do some reading on this.
>>>
>>> I have read , of an issue with restore points being deleted with this
>>> configuration, but believe there is a way to edit the boot file to keep
>>> this from happening?
>>>
>>> I have also read there is a program, Vista BootPro, that would be good
>>> to use for this, rather than the built in Vista boot manager?
>>>
>>> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Don
>>>
>>> EVGA 780i MB
>>> Intel Core2 Duo E6600@ 3.24 ghz
>>> Zalman 9700 NT heatsink/fan
>>> BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
>>> CoolerMaster 830 Evolution Case
>>> 4 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2

Colin Barnhorst

XP's VSS driver deletes files on the Vista volume but not the other way
around. More than restore points are affected. Any files dependent on
snapshots taken by VSS's driver (volsnap.sys) are deleted, including
backups, previous versions (shadow copies), etc. Here is the MS kb for
preventing this effect. Back up your files (both volumes) before
proceeding.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks John,
>
> Which restore points get deleted, Vista's, XP's, or both?
>
> If just Vista, then I could live with that for now. I would rather my XP
> restore points stay intact.
>

> --
> Don

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If by third party boot manager which totally hides the Vista system, you
>> can protect the restore points, otherwise no. VistaBootPro works with
>> the Vista Boot Manager, does not have its own.
>> http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-about.php
>>
>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> I have just received Vista Ultimate, along with a new hard drive to put
>>> it on, to dual boot with my current XP Pro 32 bit. I did a google search
>>> to try and do some reading on this.
>>>
>>> I have read , of an issue with restore points being deleted with this
>>> configuration, but believe there is a way to edit the boot file to keep
>>> this from happening?
>>>
>>> I have also read there is a program, Vista BootPro, that would be good
>>> to use for this, rather than the built in Vista boot manager?
>>>
>>> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Don
>>>
>>> EVGA 780i MB
>>> Intel Core2 Duo E6600@ 3.24 ghz
>>> Zalman 9700 NT heatsink/fan
>>> BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
>>> CoolerMaster 830 Evolution Case
>>> 4 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2

Don

Good to hear, thanks John.

--
Don

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You're in luck then, it is only the Vista restore points which are deleted
>
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks John,
>>
>> Which restore points get deleted, Vista's, XP's, or both?
>>
>> If just Vista, then I could live with that for now. I would rather my XP
>> restore points stay intact.
>>

>> --
>> Don
>>

>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If by third party boot manager which totally hides the Vista system, you
>>> can protect the restore points, otherwise no. VistaBootPro works with
>>> the Vista Boot Manager, does not have its own.
>>> http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-about.php
>>>
>>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Don

Good info, and thanks for the link Colin.

--
Don

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP's VSS driver deletes files on the Vista volume but not the other way
> around. More than restore points are affected. Any files dependent on
> snapshots taken by VSS's driver (volsnap.sys) are deleted, including
> backups, previous versions (shadow copies), etc. Here is the MS kb for
> preventing this effect. Back up your files (both volumes) before
> proceeding.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185
>
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks John,
>>
>> Which restore points get deleted, Vista's, XP's, or both?
>>
>> If just Vista, then I could live with that for now. I would rather my XP
>> restore points stay intact.
>>

>> --
>> Don
>>

>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If by third party boot manager which totally hides the Vista system, you
>>> can protect the restore points, otherwise no. VistaBootPro works with
>>> the Vista Boot Manager, does not have its own.
>>> http://www.vistabootpro.org/index-about.php
>>>
>>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

btw, the instructions apply to both XP Pro x64 as well as all XP x86. I
have a multiboot setup with Vista x86 and x64, and XP x86 and x64. Believe
me you want to name each of your partitions with names that tell you what
they are before you start.