Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Takedown

Takedown

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Anybody else saw this movie? It was shown in the wee hours of Monday on TV2.

Unlike your typical Hollywood "hacker" movie, this one has absolutely no
gratuitous HollywoodOS screen graphics at all--probably because it's based
(to some extent) on a true story.

I had a lot of fun freeze-framing the screen displays. The earlier ones are
sequences of K&R C code--looks like some kind of IP protocol stack driver.
One odd thing is that ">" characters have turned into ">" sequences.

The patch that Mitnick applies when he gets into the computer centre
pretending to be a field technician is ANSI C.

I'm now up to the part where he's holed up in the apartment block where
Shimomura and friends have located his cellphone transmissions, and
a "GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT" screen has come up, saying "GPF AT $32AAFF
CFCCAA 6699CC". Not only is that not an address, it actually looks like a
sequence of HTML colour specs.

Bobs

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Anybody else saw this movie? It was shown in the wee hours of Monday on TV2.
>
> Unlike your typical Hollywood "hacker" movie, this one has absolutely no
> gratuitous HollywoodOS screen graphics at all--probably because it's based
> (to some extent) on a true story.
>
> I had a lot of fun freeze-framing the screen displays. The earlier ones are
> sequences of K&R C code--looks like some kind of IP protocol stack driver.
> One odd thing is that ">" characters have turned into ">" sequences.
>
> The patch that Mitnick applies when he gets into the computer centre
> pretending to be a field technician is ANSI C.
>
> I'm now up to the part where he's holed up in the apartment block where
> Shimomura and friends have located his cellphone transmissions, and
> a "GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT" screen has come up, saying "GPF AT $32AAFF
> CFCCAA 6699CC". Not only is that not an address, it actually looks like a
> sequence of HTML colour specs.

So......how often do you have sex with women Lawrence?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Bobs wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Anybody else saw this movie? It was shown in the wee hours of Monday
>> on TV2.
>>
>> Unlike your typical Hollywood "hacker" movie, this one has absolutely no
>> gratuitous HollywoodOS screen graphics at all--probably because it's
>> based
>> (to some extent) on a true story.
>>
>> I had a lot of fun freeze-framing the screen displays. The earlier
>> ones are
>> sequences of K&R C code--looks like some kind of IP protocol stack
>> driver.
>> One odd thing is that ">" characters have turned into ">" sequences.
>>
>> The patch that Mitnick applies when he gets into the computer centre
>> pretending to be a field technician is ANSI C.
>>
>> I'm now up to the part where he's holed up in the apartment block where
>> Shimomura and friends have located his cellphone transmissions, and
>> a "GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT" screen has come up, saying "GPF AT $32AAFF
>> CFCCAA 6699CC". Not only is that not an address, it actually looks like a
>> sequence of HTML colour specs.

> So......how often do you have sex with women Lawrence?

Somehow I doubt Lawrence will provide a straight-up answer. I just
had this ****en horrid vision in my head that the worlds first man
to get off on code alone has been unearthed...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
"Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
or not they wanted all these wars"...

shane

Bobs did scribble:

> So......how often do you have sex with women Lawrence?

Is this really on topic for nz.comp?

I realise Lawrence draws some of the issues onto himself, but you can use the
ignore function on your newsreader cant you?
--
Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick