Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrading to 64-bit Vista

Upgrading to 64-bit Vista

Phosphonothioic

I currently have 32-bit Home Premium. I'm just wondering what my options are
for upgrading to a 64-bit version of either Home Premium or Ultimate. Any
and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Careful... you're liable to make some people go into frantic convulsions
using the word "upgrade" and 64-bit in the same sentence.

Basically, the conversion from 32-bit to 64-bit is a clean install.
There are no "direct" paths to "upgrade" and MS made this one of the most
difficult adventures out there unless you purchased the full version of
Vista.
Heed the phrase: "64-bit is not for everyone."

Your current product key is good for both 32-bit and 64-bit, but you can
only have one of the two installed with one key.

Your worst option:
Upgrading to Business or Ultimate down the road using Windows Anytime
Upgrade.
It will require you to install XP Pro, then 64-bit Home Premium, then
Ultimate. (A real pain.)
If you think you will ever move up to Ultimate, just buy it: Upgrade or
Full version.
I can tell you lots of stories on this if you really want to hear it.

So, depending on whether you have a full version of Home Premium or an
upgrade version:
Upgrade disk:
First you have to purchase the "alternate media" disk from MS for $7 -
$10.
You will have to wipe Vista HP from your hard drive, re-install XP Pro
SP2 and then "upgrade" (clean install) Vista HP 64-bit.
Note: XP Pro will not need to be activated, so it doesn't matter if
you've "killed" the license at some point.

Full version:
First you have to purchase the "alternate media" disk from MS for $7 -
$10.
Then you can clean install Vista HP 64-bit.

How to get the alternate media:
Go to microsoft.com and type alternate media in the search box.
Or go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

Installation instructions:
A good review of this article is important:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

While most will warn you that you should check that all your hardware is
supported by x64, Vista is very robust in the area. The hard part is
installation. Once installed, it runs better (IMO) than 32-bit.

"Phosphonothioic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have 32-bit Home Premium. I'm just wondering what my options
>are
> for upgrading to a 64-bit version of either Home Premium or Ultimate. Any
> and all information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you got Home Premium pre-installed on your computer, you have an OEM
version, almost certainly. With OEM versions, you can't change from 32-bit
to 64-bit without buying a whole new version. If you bought a retail copy of
Vista, you can get the 64-bit DVD for a nominal fee directly from MS and
install it.

There is not "upgrade" path, however. You need to do a fresh, clean install.
You can, however, use Windows Easy Transfer to preserve most of your current
settings with the new installation.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Phosphonothioic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have 32-bit Home Premium. I'm just wondering what my options
>are
> for upgrading to a 64-bit version of either Home Premium or Ultimate. Any
> and all information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Colin Barnhorst

I prefer the term "migration." Conversion is reminiscent of converting the
filesystem.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Careful... you're liable to make some people go into frantic convulsions
> using the word "upgrade" and 64-bit in the same sentence.
>
> Basically, the conversion from 32-bit to 64-bit is a clean install.
> There are no "direct" paths to "upgrade" and MS made this one of the most
> difficult adventures out there unless you purchased the full version of
> Vista.
> Heed the phrase: "64-bit is not for everyone."
>
> Your current product key is good for both 32-bit and 64-bit, but you can
> only have one of the two installed with one key.
>
> Your worst option:
> Upgrading to Business or Ultimate down the road using Windows Anytime
> Upgrade.
> It will require you to install XP Pro, then 64-bit Home Premium, then
> Ultimate. (A real pain.)
> If you think you will ever move up to Ultimate, just buy it: Upgrade or
> Full version.
> I can tell you lots of stories on this if you really want to hear it.
>
> So, depending on whether you have a full version of Home Premium or an
> upgrade version:
> Upgrade disk:
> First you have to purchase the "alternate media" disk from MS for $7 -
> $10.
> You will have to wipe Vista HP from your hard drive, re-install XP Pro
> SP2 and then "upgrade" (clean install) Vista HP 64-bit.
> Note: XP Pro will not need to be activated, so it doesn't matter if
> you've "killed" the license at some point.
>
> Full version:
> First you have to purchase the "alternate media" disk from MS for $7 -
> $10.
> Then you can clean install Vista HP 64-bit.
>
> How to get the alternate media:
> Go to microsoft.com and type alternate media in the search box.
> Or go here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
>
> Installation instructions:
> A good review of this article is important:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/
>
> While most will warn you that you should check that all your hardware is
> supported by x64, Vista is very robust in the area. The hard part is
> installation. Once installed, it runs better (IMO) than 32-bit.
>

> "Phosphonothioic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I currently have 32-bit Home Premium. I'm just wondering what my options
>>are
>> for upgrading to a 64-bit version of either Home Premium or Ultimate.
>> Any
>> and all information would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!

Phosphonothioic

Ok, thanks everyone! The 64-bit media content thing always confused me.
The website made it sound like the CD simply contained 64-bit apps and not
the actual 64-bit OS.

Thanks once again, $7-$10 bucks is a heck of a lot cheaper than what I was
imagining.

Mark

Don't miss Charlie's comment!
If you have OEM installed, you're stuck with buying the full version to get
to 64-bit.

"Phosphonothioic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ok, thanks everyone! The 64-bit media content thing always confused me.
> The website made it sound like the CD simply contained 64-bit apps and not
> the actual 64-bit OS.
>
> Thanks once again, $7-$10 bucks is a heck of a lot cheaper than what I was
> imagining.

Phosphonothioic

Thankfully I build my own PCs and bought the Retail version.

Thanks again!

"Mark" wrote:

> Don't miss Charlie's comment!
> If you have OEM installed, you're stuck with buying the full version to get
> to 64-bit.
>
> "Phosphonothioic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Ok, thanks everyone! The 64-bit media content thing always confused me.
> > The website made it sound like the CD simply contained 64-bit apps and not
> > the actual 64-bit OS.
> >
> > Thanks once again, $7-$10 bucks is a heck of a lot cheaper than what I was
> > imagining.

Phosphonothioic

On a side-note:

If I buy the Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade, can I do a clean install from
the upgrade DVD of Ultimate 64-bit?

Mark

See the instructions in my first response.

If you go with an upgrade disk, you will have to install WinXP Pro or 2000
to "upgrade", then insert the the 64-bit dvid and do a custom install.
This is a clean install. Use the product key you get with the upgrade disk.

"Phosphonothioic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On a side-note:
>
> If I buy the Home Premium to Ultimate upgrade, can I do a clean install
> from
> the upgrade DVD of Ultimate 64-bit?

Phosphonothioic

So, there is no means of moving from 32-bit Home Premium to 64-bit Ultimate
without buying a full retail version of Ultimate.

That's really my goal here, I'd like to move up to 64-bit Ultimate. I just
figured that, seeing as I own a retail copy of Home Premium, I could buy a
DVD that would allow me to do a clean install of 64-bit Ultimate for less
than it would cost me to buy a full retail version.

If I'm reading your comments correctly, then you're saying the "upgrade"
DVDs are only for people who are making a switch from XP/2000 to Vista. And
the people who already own a version of Vista are left out in the cold?
Seems peculiar to me, or it's quite possible that I'm just being really dense
at the moment.