Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft backing away from OOXML?

Microsoft backing away from OOXML?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Interesting that they're taking their time bringing out converters for
Office 2004
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/22/mac-office-2008-update-promised-soon-at-expense-of-open-xml>.

If OOXML is such a vital part of their interoperability strategy, why aren't
they devoting more attention to it?

peterwn

On Feb 23, 12:39 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Interesting that they're taking their time bringing out converters for
> Office 2004
> <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/22/mac-office-2008-...>.
>
> If OOXML (ie the proposed standard) is such a vital part of their interoperability strategy, why aren't
> they devoting more attention to it?

The problem as I see it is that OOXML has interoperability with
nothing, not even Office 2007, and will never have.

What Geoff Price, product unit manager for Microsoft's Macintosh
Business Unit, really meant to say was that Mac Office 2008 will not
have interoperability with the new Windows Office 2007 formats
(ie .docx, .xlsx, etc) until late June 2008. Mac Office 2008 will
never have interoperability with OOXML, ever, nor will Windows Office
20xx (where xx>0. Simply put, OOXML != .docx etc.

As far as I can see OOXML as a standard has only one benefit. It will
enable Microsoft, hardware OEM manufacturers, etc to say that OOXML is
a recognised international standard and hence complies with any
tendering or procurement specifications requiring international
standards format. Skilled IT professionals will immediately recognise
the fallacy of the logic, but it may be sufficient to pull the wool
over the eyes of politicians (eg in Massachusetts), beancounters,
glorified clerks, bribe-takers, etc who may be involved in some
clients' procurement processes.

Gordon

On 2008-02-22, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> Interesting that they're taking their time bringing out converters for
> Office 2004
><http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/22/mac-office-2008-update-promised-soon-at-expense-of-open-xml>.
>
> If OOXML is such a vital part of their interoperability strategy, why aren't
> they devoting more attention to it?

Look for history's sake. What features of VISTA, the desktop king, did not
arrive to date?

MS now has to live in a very different world. One with other players on the
field. Some of them wish to play for the game, not money.

Yes, I have not read the link. Who cares, I just wanted to respond. ;-

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Commentary by Jeremy "Samba" Allison:
<http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-189389.html>. Looks like Microsoft
isn't addressing a single one of the objections that would necessitate
backward-incompatible changes to OOXML.

Less and less reason for those countries that voted "no" the first time to
change their vote...?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fq0gu9$mpg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro did write:

> Less and less reason for those countries that voted "no" the first time to
> change their vote...?

Result from the Ballot Resolution Meeting: too many things wrong with the
spec, not enough time to address them
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080302-xml-spec-editor-ooxml-iso-process-is-unadulterated-bs.html>.

Looks like fast-track approval is dead in the water...