Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Lying Swine Tech Support Question

Lying Swine Tech Support Question

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
>won't be used much.
>
>The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
>*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
>arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
>*1.2.*
>
>Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
>site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
>runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.
>
>Thanks.

You will be fine

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Pathetic to respond to your own posts, I know, but I meant my P3 is
>running at 730 MHz. Should I even bother to open this up if it says
>"Minimum System Requirements Pentium iii or Athlon Processor 800 MHz
>(1.2 GHz or faster recommended)"?
>
>Also, it says the unit needs a USB 2.0, why I don't know; all I have
>is two 1.1s.
>
>Thanks.

OOps, i thought you had an internal drive, you may have issues with 1.1 and
that drive.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
>> In article

> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
>> >won't be used much.

>> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
>> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
>> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
>> >*1.2.*

>> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
>> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
>> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

>> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
>> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
>> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
>> slow.
>>
>> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
>> with no problems whatsoever.

>I got a tech support email that said to return it because of the USB
>1.1 slowing-down of reading and writing. But what if I just want to
>use it for burning CDs? If you've successfully burned DVDs (which I
>realize requires reading and writing via USB) on 400 MHz, couldn't I
>at least use it for this? You're right, I paid exactly thirty bucks.
>
>Also, couldn't I just add a 2.0 hub?

Well is it internal or isnt it???? USB has nothing to do with it if it
mounts internally!!!