Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Lying Swine Tech Support Question

Lying Swine Tech Support Question

Elmer

I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
won't be used much.

The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
*1.2.*

Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

Thanks.

Elmer

Pathetic to respond to your own posts, I know, but I meant my P3 is
running at 730 MHz. Should I even bother to open this up if it says
"Minimum System Requirements Pentium iii or Athlon Processor 800 MHz
(1.2 GHz or faster recommended)"?

Also, it says the unit needs a USB 2.0, why I don't know; all I have
is two 1.1s.

Thanks.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
>won't be used much.
>
>The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
>*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
>arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
>*1.2.*
>
>Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
>site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
>runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
slow.

As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
with no problems whatsoever.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Pathetic to respond to your own posts, I know, but I meant my P3 is
>running at 730 MHz. Should I even bother to open this up if it says
>"Minimum System Requirements Pentium iii or Athlon Processor 800 MHz
>(1.2 GHz or faster recommended)"?
>
>Also, it says the unit needs a USB 2.0, why I don't know; all I have
>is two 1.1s.

Aha. You failed to mention that this is an external USB burner.

USB 1.1 barely has enough bandwidth to supply data at a rate needed to
burn a DVD at 1X (i.e. 1 hour burn time per layer). Again; 1.1 will work
but you may not be happy with waiting so long.

USB 2.0 upgrade cards are cheap (< US$20 at most big mail order houses) if
your computer has a spare slot.

Elmer

On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
> >won't be used much.

> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
> >*1.2.*

> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
> slow.
>
> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
> with no problems whatsoever.

No no, it's not external. It's internal (so don't ask me why they
have a USB specification.) If you read this, could you tell me
whether *you'd* open the box and give it a try?

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
>> In article

><(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
>> >won't be used much.

>> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
>> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
>> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
>> >*1.2.*

>> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
>> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
>> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

>> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
>> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
>> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
>> slow.
>>
>> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
>> with no problems whatsoever.

>No no, it's not external. It's internal (so don't ask me why they
>have a USB specification.) If you read this, could you tell me
>whether *you'd* open the box and give it a try?

The specs for just about any DVD burner are going to list similar
requirements these days. To answer your question, I'd need to know aht
choice you're making: keep vs. return, or try a something vs. being
intimidated away from trying something.

Decent internal DVD burners can be had for less than US$30. I personally
would buy from a dealer with a liberal return policy, and give it a try.

Elmer

On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
> >won't be used much.

> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
> >*1.2.*

> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
> slow.
>
> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
> with no problems whatsoever.

I got a tech support email that said to return it because of the USB
1.1 slowing-down of reading and writing. But what if I just want to
use it for burning CDs? If you've successfully burned DVDs (which I
realize requires reading and writing via USB) on 400 MHz, couldn't I
at least use it for this? You're right, I paid exactly thirty bucks.

Also, couldn't I just add a 2.0 hub?

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
>> In article

><(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
>> >won't be used much.

>> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
>> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
>> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
>> >*1.2.*

>> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
>> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
>> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

>> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
>> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
>> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
>> slow.
>>
>> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
>> with no problems whatsoever.

>I got a tech support email that said to return it because of the USB
>1.1 slowing-down of reading and writing. But what if I just want to
>use it for burning CDs? If you've successfully burned DVDs (which I
>realize requires reading and writing via USB) on 400 MHz, couldn't I
>at least use it for this? You're right, I paid exactly thirty bucks.
>
>Also, couldn't I just add a 2.0 hub?

I'm getting more confused with each exchange here.

Initially I got the impression that this was an internal drive.

Then you mentioned a USB 2.0 requirement, which pertains only to
externals.

But you replied that this is, in fact, an internal drive and were puzzled
by the USB requirement too.

Now you're saying that tech support told you to return the drive because
you only have USB 1.1 and you're asking if you can add a USB 2.0 hub ...
what for?

What brand and model drive is this - please post exactly what is printed on
the box. Does the picture on the box show a bare drive for mounting inside
the case, or is it in a standalone box with case and power supply?

If you want high speed USB, the thing to add is a USB 2.0 host adaptor
(i.e. a PCI bus expansion card that goes in your computer) ... not a hub,
which is an external box used for sharing an existing USB port among
several peripherals. Yes, you can add one .... but if, in fact, the drive
is an internal one, then USB is irrelevant to your use of the drive.

As for burning discs using an external USB burner:

An external USB DVD burner connected via a USB 1.1 port will take
approximately 81 minutes to burn a single-layer DVD.

That same drive will take about 12 minutes to burn an 80-minute CD via a
USB 1.1 port.

Elmer

On Feb 22, 3:56 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:

Wow, I'm sorry for being so confusing! This is definitely an internal
drive (I/O Magic, 18X).

> Initially I got the impression that this was an internal drive.
>
> Then you mentioned a USB 2.0 requirement, which pertains only to
> externals.

I imagine this is because of the read speeds? I have no idea why the
tech support who answered my email said this was important. I thought
maybe there's software in the (unopened) box that transfers video from
a video camera and/or other source. I really don't know, but this is
definitely an internal drive.

> Now you're saying that tech support told you to return the drive because
> you only have USB 1.1 and you're asking if you can add a USB 2.0 hub ...
> what for?

I meant PCI bus; I wrote 'hub' by mistake. Sorry!

> If you want high speed USB, the thing to add is a USB 2.0 host adaptor
> (i.e. a PCI bus expansion card that goes in your computer) ... not a hub,
> which is an external box used for sharing an existing USB port among
> several peripherals. Yes, you can add one .... but if, in fact, the drive
> is an internal one, then USB is irrelevant to your use of the drive.

I know; this is what I can't figure out...unless there's software
that's supposed to enable uploading? I really have no idea, which is
why I posted.

> An external USB DVD burner connected via a USB 1.1 port will take
> approximately 81 minutes to burn a single-layer DVD.
>
> That same drive will take about 12 minutes to burn an 80-minute CD via a
> USB 1.1 port.

I could care less. I once took four hours to download a three minute
Mp3 to a Pentium 1 on a dial-up connection. Speed is of absolutely no
importance to me; I just don't want my processor to burn up.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Feb 22, 3:56 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
>
>Wow, I'm sorry for being so confusing! This is definitely an internal
>drive (I/O Magic, 18X).

OK. a no-name drive; most likely manufactured by Lite-On and relabelled.

[snip]

>> If you want high speed USB, the thing to add is a USB 2.0 host adaptor
>> (i.e. a PCI bus expansion card that goes in your computer) ... not a hub,
>> which is an external box used for sharing an existing USB port among
>> several peripherals. Yes, you can add one .... but if, in fact, the drive
>> is an internal one, then USB is irrelevant to your use of the drive.

>I know; this is what I can't figure out...unless there's software
>that's supposed to enable uploading? I really have no idea, which is
>why I posted.

Yes, that makes more sense. If you're transferring video via USB, then the
interface speed will definitely matter. It's certainly worth your while in
general to add USB 2.0 ports with a cheap interface card. Look for one
with the NEC controller chipset since it seems to be the least troublesome
and is one of the ones natively supported by Windows 2000/XP bundled
drivers.