Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7 might well be released before 2010

Windows 7 might well be released before 2010

E. Scrooge

Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

E. Scrooge

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

Says who?

Ross

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:38:15 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> wrote:

>Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
>
>E. Scrooge

I wonder what it will be based on?
Maybe a massively upgraded WINE running on Debian?

E. Scrooge

news:fplupe$e3j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
>
>> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

> Says who?

Can't you type into Google or whatever you use Linux to search with "so and
so release date"?

Just grab the nearest blind dog to help you out.

You better start finding the dirt now as you're already well and truly late
out of the starting blocks while you stuff round searching for all you can
on Vista from a few suspect websites.

You might as well not ****ing bother, since all your crap on the Asus EEE
doesn't give any real indicvation on what a great little PC it is and just
what it's capable of doing.
Must admit I didn't think much of them as being much more than PC toys with
limited use.

God knows if you've actually used one or even seen any up close in action.
I got to see 2 of them. The definition of the little 7 inch screens is
pretty impressive, much better than some HP LCD larger monitors I've seen.
I've seen them on the Net, connected through a wireless connection and using
Skype with DSE phone handsets plugged into their USB ports. These little
buggers were multi tasking for over 2 hours without slowing down. A radio
station streamed through one of them, with the guy who works at the radio
station a bit surprised that the stream from the Net broadcast was a couple
of seconds ahead of the radio in the kitchen.
Both little PCs were of course running Linux.
What was stopping you from giving some kind of description on what the EEEs
can do?
Too busy worrying your little head over Microsoft instead.

E. Scrooge

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1203668512.680528@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:fplupe$e3j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
>>
>>> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

>> Says who?

> Can't you type into Google or whatever you use Linux to search with "so
> and so release date"?

You're the one who made the claim, you back it up.

E. Scrooge

news:fpm5g9$i88$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <1203668512.680528@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:fplupe$e3j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

>>> Says who?

>> Can't you type into Google or whatever you use Linux to search with "so
>> and so release date"?

> You're the one who made the claim, you back it up.

It's on that many websites. I've told you how you can search some out for
yourself. Don't worry about checking the bias crap Register website either.
"So and so release date" hit search. Even you can work that one out.

E. Scrooge

Puddle

E. Scrooge wrote:
> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
>
> E. Scrooge

Yep looking like 2009 now, will be interesting to see what it is like.

impossible

> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
>
> E. Scrooge

Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your source
of information would be helpful.

Puddle

impossible wrote:
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
> repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your source
> of information would be helpful.

The biggest source seems to be from TG Daily who received a roadmap with
a RTM in H2 of 2009 as I am sure you are already aware anyway.
Microsoft didn't want to comment on the dates in that roadmap.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35641/118/

It is only a few months forward anyway isn't it?

I hope they release it when it is ready and not because they set some
date in a roadmap though I am sure they are under a bit of pressure to
get a new OS out because of the lack of excitement over Vista.

impossible

"Puddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47beff71$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>>> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
>>>
>>> E. Scrooge

>> Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
>> repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your
>> source of information would be helpful.

> The biggest source seems to be from TG Daily who received a roadmap with a
> RTM in H2 of 2009 as I am sure you are already aware anyway. Microsoft
> didn't want to comment on the dates in that roadmap.
> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35641/118/
>
> It is only a few months forward anyway isn't it?
>
> I hope they release it when it is ready and not because they set some date
> in a roadmap though I am sure they are under a bit of pressure to get a
> new OS out because of the lack of excitement over Vista.

Thanks for that. I think the pressure on Microsoft isn't so much the lack of
excitement over Vista , because with 100 million oem Vista boxes going out
the door in the first year, there's plenty of ka-ching! to go around. It's
more that **someone** is going to actually make an os breakthrough one of
these days that opens a whole new way of thinking about personal and
business computing, and Microsoft (like every other firm in this business)
would like to be leading that transformation rather than playing catch-up.
Both Windows and Linux are stuck right now in the 90s model, and with the
release of Vista and all the latest nix competitors it's pretty clear (to
me, at least) that the string has run out. Incremental improvemn t is all we
ever see now. If the operating system that runs the most popular desktop
software products can't deliver any substantively new functionality at this
point in time, then it's time to move on. All the talk about "Windows 7" is
that it aims to take some significant step in the direction of fundamentally
improving the way people access and work with information -- we'll see.
Google is perhaps the closest right now to developing thje kind of
breakthrough I'm thinking of, and I think Microsoft is **very** concerned
about that -- hence the move to snatch Yahoo's network presence and
resources in order to transform Microsfot into a next-gen services-oriented
firm, and hence also the move to license its grip on intellectual property
that is almost certainly on the verge of becoming obsolete (think 10+ years
down the road). Anyway, just my 2-cents -- again, thanks for the reference.