Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Norton Ghost Failed Then Corrupted Orig, HDD

Norton Ghost Failed Then Corrupted Orig, HDD

comptrworks@gmail.com

Yep, Norton Ghost not only failed to work, it somehow corrupted my old
HDD. Anybody seen this before?

First, I took it to the tech shop, so I can't tell you what they did
or how they managed this. I do know that when I got my new HDD back
(along with old one) it would not boot and said there was no OS.

So I take it back and they say it will be ready tomorrow and they'll
test it first.

They call the next day and tell me that my old HDD is now corrupted (I
have a better word for it. Thanks guys.)

So they say they'll send it to data recovery at no charge to me.

Data recovery says it can't be recovered. It's been overwritten at low
level. (hmm, did somebody get the drives reversed?)

Old HDD and new HDD are headed back.

I would like best guesses at what went wrong and advice on what I can
do to TRY and recover my data.

I'm not expecting any miracles, but of course, I have to try.

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yep, Norton Ghost not only failed to work, it somehow corrupted my old
> HDD. Anybody seen this before?
>
> First, I took it to the tech shop, so I can't tell you what they did
> or how they managed this. I do know that when I got my new HDD back
> (along with old one) it would not boot and said there was no OS.
>
> So I take it back and they say it will be ready tomorrow and they'll
> test it first.
>
> They call the next day and tell me that my old HDD is now corrupted (I
> have a better word for it. Thanks guys.)
>
> So they say they'll send it to data recovery at no charge to me.
>
> Data recovery says it can't be recovered. It's been overwritten at low
> level. (hmm, did somebody get the drives reversed?)
>
> Old HDD and new HDD are headed back.
>
> I would like best guesses at what went wrong and advice on what I can
> do to TRY and recover my data.
>
> I'm not expecting any miracles, but of course, I have to try.
>
> I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Very unlikely for Ghost to have corrupted the original drive.
I'd say someone had gotten the drives reversed.

If a blank drive was "Ghosted" to your drive with data on it,
there is no chance of recovery.