Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working

Reply
Thread Tools

Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working

 
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2008
I am using a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro and a Logitech M-SBF96 (P/S2)
mouse. The mouse driver is i8042prt.sys.

"Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Colin, just curious if you have a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo and/or
> have Setpoint 4.4 installed? I'm trying to think of different angles
> here
> if its not the nvidia driver.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> I tried to replicate on my VU x64 box (using nVidia 169.25 driver) but
>> could
>> not.
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2008
A long shot, perhaps - but have you gone through all the settings in your
BIOS? Is it possible that you have things enabled that you don't need. In
particular ACPI? Could you experiment and turn that off completely for a
while? (You may loose the Hibernate and Power Saving features, for the
duration?).

And do turn off any and all support in there that you will not be needing
right now, if for nothing else, you may see faster boot-times!


Tony. . .


"Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Colin, just curious if you have a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo and/or
> have Setpoint 4.4 installed? I'm trying to think of different angles
> here
> if its not the nvidia driver.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> I tried to replicate on my VU x64 box (using nVidia 169.25 driver) but
>> could
>> not.
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-28-2008
I think you need ACPI enabled for x64, Tony...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


"Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:el%(E-Mail Removed)...
>A long shot, perhaps - but have you gone through all the settings in your
>BIOS? Is it possible that you have things enabled that you don't need. In
>particular ACPI? Could you experiment and turn that off completely for a
>while? (You may loose the Hibernate and Power Saving features, for the
>duration?).
>
> And do turn off any and all support in there that you will not be needing
> right now, if for nothing else, you may see faster boot-times!
>
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
> "Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Colin, just curious if you have a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo and/or
>> have Setpoint 4.4 installed? I'm trying to think of different angles
>> here
>> if its not the nvidia driver.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to replicate on my VU x64 box (using nVidia 169.25 driver) but
>>> could
>>> not.
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ryan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2008
Hi there. Still trying to solve this. Here's my latest find...

I did a search for "ribbons.scr" and I came up with results in 2 different
places:

C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr

and

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Ribbons.scr

I'm new to 64bit OS's but from what I've determined, the first is the 64bit
path and the second is the 32bit emulation path.

Both Ribbons.scr files have different sizes so I can only assume one is
native 64bit while the other is 32bit? Anyways, what I've found is this...

If I right click C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr and choose "Test", the
screensaver launches but as soon as I move the mouse/hit a key, I get
"Ribbons has stopped responding" and it crashes.

If I do the same procedure to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Ribbons.scr, it works just
fine. No issues at all. I've tried multiple times to make sure but its
never once crashed.

So now that leaves me stumped. While I've found that the 32bit one
apparently works, why would the 64bit one be crashing?

"Ryan" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a very odd problem. I love the Ribbons screensaver but since
> installing Vista x64, any time it kicks in and is removed by a mouse move or
> a key press, Vista says the "ribbons screensaver has stopped working" but has
> no solutions for it.
>
> I've tried to google for answers but only found a few links to others with
> the same problem with no apparent solution available.
>
> My PC is..
>
> Vista Ultimate x64
> Asus P5K-E Wifi
> Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
> EVGA 8800GT 512mb
>
> not sure what else might be relevant. all drivers current as of the date of
> this post.
>
> Here's the info I got about it from the Problem Reports and Solutions
> control panel...
>
> Product
> Ribbons Screen Saver
>
> Problem
> Stopped working
>
> Date
> 2/21/2008 6:51 PM
>
> Status
> Report Sent
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: Ribbons.scr
> Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Application Timestamp: 4549bb4a
> Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d372
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0000000000053809
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 6ccb
> Additional Information 2: d70b554a667f5d3274c86becb8627281
> Additional Information 3: b267
> Additional Information 4: 2a20c5e696c99db183736948d45868ba
>
> Extra information about the problem
> Bucket ID: 206143
>
>
>
> thank you for any help,
> Ryan

 
Reply With Quote
 
JR Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2008
I noticed someone had mentioned Logitech Setpoint software. Well, I just installed that today and it so happens I just started getting the same error with the Ribbons screensaver today as well. I've found so far that closing the Setpoint tray icon seems to fix the problem.
 
Reply With Quote
 
mmmikezd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2009

I have been getting the same thing for awhile and I just started lookin
around for a solution and what I did was rename the ribbons.scr 236.

the 236 one is the bad one. just rename the 236 one and put the 216 on
in both the system32 and the syswow64 folders and the ribbons scree
saver works again.

I really do NOT think it has anything to do with Ligitek or what eve
it is because it has been doing this on my computer and i have no se
point installed on my computer but i do have the NVIDIA driver
installed because i have a EVGA 8800GTS installed on my core 2 quad wit
8 gig of ram computer.

I would think it has something to do with the NVIDIA driver i guess.

Mik

--
mmmikez
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
mmmikezd's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/65716.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...tion/918701.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

 
Reply With Quote
 
mtankeh@live.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2013
Re: Ribbons.scr Screensaver

Ryan,

I think the problem with the ribbons.scr malfunction lies in one of the Microsoft Vista updates. I had to restore my laptop recently to the default factory configured state and the subject screensaver was working fine. Thenin the course of installing all the required Vista x64 updates, the screensaver started malfunctioning again just as it had been doing before the restore.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell at which specific stage of the updates installation the problem began. But I am convinced that it is a Microsoft update-caused problem.

FYI.

Marc

On Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:58:00 PM UTC-8, Ryan wrote:
> Hi there. Still trying to solve this. Here's my latest find...
>
> I did a search for "ribbons.scr" and I came up with results in 2 different
> places:
>
> C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr
>
> and
>
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Ribbons.scr
>
> I'm new to 64bit OS's but from what I've determined, the first is the 64bit
> path and the second is the 32bit emulation path.
>
> Both Ribbons.scr files have different sizes so I can only assume one is
> native 64bit while the other is 32bit? Anyways, what I've found is this....
>
> If I right click C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr and choose "Test", the
> screensaver launches but as soon as I move the mouse/hit a key, I get
> "Ribbons has stopped responding" and it crashes.
>
> If I do the same procedure to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Ribbons.scr, it works just
> fine. No issues at all. I've tried multiple times to make sure but its
> never once crashed.
>
> So now that leaves me stumped. While I've found that the 32bit one
> apparently works, why would the 64bit one be crashing?
>
> "Ryan" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a very odd problem. I love the Ribbons screensaver but since
> > installing Vista x64, any time it kicks in and is removed by a mouse move or
> > a key press, Vista says the "ribbons screensaver has stopped working" but has
> > no solutions for it.
> >
> > I've tried to google for answers but only found a few links to others with
> > the same problem with no apparent solution available.
> >
> > My PC is..
> >
> > Vista Ultimate x64
> > Asus P5K-E Wifi
> > Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
> > EVGA 8800GT 512mb
> >
> > not sure what else might be relevant. all drivers current as of the date of
> > this post.
> >
> > Here's the info I got about it from the Problem Reports and Solutions
> > control panel...
> >
> > Product
> > Ribbons Screen Saver
> >
> > Problem
> > Stopped working
> >
> > Date
> > 2/21/2008 6:51 PM
> >
> > Status
> > Report Sent
> >
> > Problem signature
> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> > Application Name: Ribbons.scr
> > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> > Application Timestamp: 4549bb4a
> > Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
> > Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d372
> > Exception Code: c0000005
> > Exception Offset: 0000000000053809
> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 1033
> > Additional Information 1: 6ccb
> > Additional Information 2: d70b554a667f5d3274c86becb8627281
> > Additional Information 3: b267
> > Additional Information 4: 2a20c5e696c99db183736948d45868ba
> >
> > Extra information about the problem
> > Bucket ID: 206143
> >
> >
> >
> > thank you for any help,
> > Ryan


 
Reply With Quote
 
mtankeh@live.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2013
This seems to work, Ryan. Try it.
http://www.archivum.info/microsoft.p...d-working.html



On Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:08:00 PM UTC-8, Ryan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a very odd problem. I love the Ribbons screensaver but since
> installing Vista x64, any time it kicks in and is removed by a mouse move or
> a key press, Vista says the "ribbons screensaver has stopped working" but has
> no solutions for it.
>
> I've tried to google for answers but only found a few links to others with
> the same problem with no apparent solution available.
>
> My PC is..
>
> Vista Ultimate x64
> Asus P5K-E Wifi
> Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
> EVGA 8800GT 512mb
>
> not sure what else might be relevant. all drivers current as of the date of
> this post.
>
> Here's the info I got about it from the Problem Reports and Solutions
> control panel...
>
> Product
> Ribbons Screen Saver
>
> Problem
> Stopped working
>
> Date
> 2/21/2008 6:51 PM
>
> Status
> Report Sent
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: Ribbons.scr
> Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Application Timestamp: 4549bb4a
> Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d372
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0000000000053809
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 6ccb
> Additional Information 2: d70b554a667f5d3274c86becb8627281
> Additional Information 3: b267
> Additional Information 4: 2a20c5e696c99db183736948d45868ba
>
> Extra information about the problem
> Bucket ID: 206143
>
>
>
> thank you for any help,
> Ryan

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W7 ScreenSaver Stopped Working Moleka Windows 64bit 5 08-26-2010 11:36 AM
The printing has been stopped and this job has been add to the queu? dejola Computer Support 6 12-30-2005 03:26 AM
PIX 515: Factory default has stopped the PIX working Gary Cisco 1 12-17-2005 11:01 PM
Why has my validation stopped working? [1/1] Alan Silver ASP .Net 4 01-31-2005 03:52 PM
Reviving printer ribbons... Tony Cianfaglione Computer Support 29 01-01-2004 05:42 PM



Advertisments