Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Getting the content above the navstuff without breaking the site.

Getting the content above the navstuff without breaking the site.

Mike Barnard

Hi.

I have implemented a search bar powered by Atomz.com. When I do a test
search 90% of the search contains the navigation list. OK, so I moved
the div in the html below the content div but it broke the site.

Any common methods of laying out html to get the content high up to be
searched properly?

www.thermachek.com/temp/

Yep, me again. There will be more, soon I'm sure!

Thanks.

Mike.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike Barnard wrote:

> Any common methods of laying out html to get the content high up to be
> searched properly?

Sure. Place the content div/text before the nav stuff in your source.

--
-bts

Blinky the Shark

I hope you don't change the photo. It's refreshing and fun to see one
that's not some sappy-looking yearbook photo or one that includes a stupid
cat.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mike Barnard

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:24:20 -0800, Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I hope you don't change the photo. It's refreshing and fun to see one
>that's not some sappy-looking yearbook photo or one that includes a stupid
>cat.

I have one of me wearing *just* an apron in the kitchen, taken from
the back, but the mrs won't let me use that. Probably a good thing.

Mike Barnard

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:47:40 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mike Barnard wrote:
>
>> Any common methods of laying out html to get the content high up to be
>> searched properly?

>Sure. Place the content div/text before the nav stuff in your source.

Thanks so much.

Blinky the Shark

Mike Barnard wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:24:20 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I hope you don't change the photo. It's refreshing and fun to see one
>>that's not some sappy-looking yearbook photo or one that includes a stupid
>>cat.

> I have one of me wearing *just* an apron in the kitchen, taken from
> the back, but the mrs won't let me use that. Probably a good thing.y

Stick with "The Yawn". Look how well-known Munch's "The Scream" as become.

--

Mike Barnard wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Mike Barnard wrote:
>>> Any common methods of laying out html to get the content high up to
>>> be searched properly?

>> Sure. Place the content div/text before the nav stuff in your
>> source.

> Thanks so much.

You sound skeptical. Would you like a sample?

http://fingerlakesbmw.org/

--
-bts

Ed

On 21/02/08 18:37, Mike Barnard wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have implemented a search bar powered by Atomz.com. When I do a test
> search 90% of the search contains the navigation list. OK, so I moved
> the div in the html below the content div but it broke the site.
>
> Any common methods of laying out html to get the content high up to be
> searched properly?
>
> www.thermachek.com/temp/
>
> Yep, me again. There will be more, soon I'm sure!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike.

Ah, so this is not a search of YOUR site... it's an internet search? I
didnt realise that.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed <ex@directory> wrote:

> On 21/02/08 18:37, Mike Barnard wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have implemented a search bar powered by Atomz.com. When I do a test
> > search 90% of the search contains the navigation list. OK, so I moved
> > the div in the html below the content div but it broke the site.
> >
> > Any common methods of laying out html to get the content high up to be
> > searched properly?
> >
> > www.thermachek.com/temp/
> >
> > Yep, me again. There will be more, soon I'm sure!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Mike.

> Ah, so this is not a search of YOUR site... it's an internet search? I
> didnt realise that.

It is a search of his site but with additional finds from
elsewhere (probably sponsered). Atomz is a free utility. (There
are other whole package, paid deals that the same company
provides, but this is another matter). I used the free offering
years ago and still do on one site. It does a fine job. I have
also used Google.

I notice that Mike's page is improving by the second - hasn't he
got anything better to do? <g>

He will find that AtomZ can find useful information on his site
if he *has* a lot of useful information. I will leave it to
others to decide if the navigation second or first on his pages
will affect the basic situation. I am a little skeptical.

I say, build your site with lots of genuine information and don't
fuss with tricky placements of the html until you really know
what is what. Beauregard is Beauregard, he knows what he is
doing. It is not necessarily a good idea for someone new to html
to be worrying about this stuff. That is my view anyway and I am
sticking to it unless challenged - when I might then fold like
the disgustingly cowardly flake that I am.

--
dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:

> Beauregard is Beauregard, he knows what he is doing.

<lol> Thenk yew very much.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista