Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN

some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN

Mike_in_Nebraska

I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
(all D-Link). I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. All are on
WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. All are using the OS
to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). The problem
is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
WLAN. On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. Tries but can't connect. I
review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. I don't know if
that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. Nothing in
the Event Logs.

What else can I try?

Mike Webb

Pavel A.

Do the clients that can connect and those that can not,
use same kind of wireless adapter?

--PA

"Mike_in_Nebraska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
> (all D-Link). I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
> reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.
>
> I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
> staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. All are on
> WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. All are using the OS
> to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). The problem
> is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
> WLAN. On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
> WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. Tries but can't connect. I
> review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
> Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. I don't know if
> that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. Nothing in
> the Event Logs.
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Mike Webb

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you use the Dell Wireless utility make sure that the Windows utility is
Off.
http://www.ezlan.net.wzc.html
Check the properties of each Wireless card to see if they have a WPA2 (WPA +
AES) setting.
A good idea is to have a spare inexpensive Wireless that you know for sure
work with WPA2 and use it to test the "bad" computers.
Example (USB, works with Laptop and Desktops),
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mike_in_Nebraska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
> (all D-Link). I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
> reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.
>
> I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
> staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. All are on
> WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. All are using the OS
> to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). The problem
> is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
> WLAN. On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
> WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. Tries but can't connect. I
> review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
> Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. I don't know if
> that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. Nothing in
> the Event Logs.
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Mike Webb

Mike_in_Nebraska

On Feb 21, 2:10*pm, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do the clients that can connect and those that can not,
> use same kind of wireless adapter?
>
> --PA
>
> "Mike_in_Nebraska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
> > (all D-Link). *I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
> > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

> > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
> > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. *All are on
> > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. *All are using the OS
> > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). *The problem
> > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
> > WLAN. *On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
> > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. *Tries but can't connect. *I
> > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
> > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. *I don't know if
> > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. *Nothing in
> > the Event Logs.

> > What else can I try?

> > Mike Webb- Hide quoted text -

I doubt it. The ones that aren't connecting are HP laptops. The one's
that are are Dells. Don't know the specifics on the network adapters.

Mike_in_Nebraska

On Feb 21, 2:21*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> If you use the Dell Wireless utility make sure that the Windows utility is
> Off.http://www.ezlan.net.wzc.html
> Check the properties of each Wireless card to see if they have a WPA2 (WPA +
> AES) setting.
> A good idea is to have a spare inexpensive Wireless *that you know for sure
> work with WPA2 and use it to test the "bad" computers.
> Example (USB, works with Laptop and Desktops),http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315067
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Mike_in_Nebraska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
> > (all D-Link). *I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
> > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

> > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
> > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. *All are on
> > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. *All are using the OS
> > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). *The problem
> > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
> > WLAN. *On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
> > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. *Tries but can't connect. *I
> > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
> > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. *I don't know if
> > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. *Nothing in
> > the Event Logs.

> > What else can I try?

> > Mike Webb- Hide quoted text -

I didn't know that, thanks.