Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: C90 IDE+compiler for Windows / educational purposes

Re: C90 IDE+compiler for Windows / educational purposes

Ioannis Vranos

Richard Heathfield said:

> Ioannis Vranos said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows
>> for use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double"
>> doesn't work correctly there.

> Turbo C is fine, and is available for free download from the Borland
> museum site.
>
> BTW welcome back to clc

Is this C90/C95 conformant?

The one I found is version 2.01:

http://dn.codegear.com/article/20841

jacob navia

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos said:
>
>> Richard Heathfield said:

>> > Turbo C is fine, and is available for free download from the Borland
>> > museum site.

>> Is this C90/C95 conformant?
>>
>> The one I found is version 2.01:
>>
>> http://dn.codegear.com/article/20841

> The only non-conformance issue I know about in that version is that it uses
> CLOCK_TCK instead of CLOCKS_PER_SEC. A little quiet hacking (when nobody's
> looking) should fix that.

Nothing about the six (!!!) memory models it uses?

Of course, for somebody living in the past, that is an excellent
compiler for teaching obsolete stuff. Imagine, trying to make
newcomers understand six memory models.

Never mind. Go ahead with your rubbish.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

Richard Heathfield

Ioannis Vranos said:

> Richard Heathfield said:
> >
> > Ioannis Vranos said:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows
> >> for use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double"
> >> doesn't work correctly there.

> > Turbo C is fine, and is available for free download from the Borland
> > museum site.

> Is this C90/C95 conformant?
>
> The one I found is version 2.01:
>
> http://dn.codegear.com/article/20841

The only non-conformance issue I know about in that version is that it uses
CLOCK_TCK instead of CLOCKS_PER_SEC. A little quiet hacking (when nobody's
looking) should fix that.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Ioannis Vranos

jacob navia wrote:
> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos said:

>>> Is this C90/C95 conformant?
>>>
>>> The one I found is version 2.01:
>>>
>>> http://dn.codegear.com/article/20841

>> The only non-conformance issue I know about in that version is that it
>> uses CLOCK_TCK instead of CLOCKS_PER_SEC. A little quiet hacking (when
>> nobody's looking) should fix that.
>>

> Nothing about the six (!!!) memory models it uses?
>
> Of course, for somebody living in the past, that is an excellent
> compiler for teaching obsolete stuff. Imagine, trying to make
> newcomers understand six memory models.
>
> Never mind. Go ahead with your rubbish.

Does lcc-win32 come with an option for strict ISO C90/C95 code?

Richard Heathfield

jacob navia said:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos said:

>>> Is this C90/C95 conformant?
>>>
>>> The one I found is version 2.01:
>>>
>>> http://dn.codegear.com/article/20841

>> The only non-conformance issue I know about in that version is that it
>> uses CLOCK_TCK instead of CLOCKS_PER_SEC. A little quiet hacking (when
>> nobody's looking) should fix that.
>>

> Nothing about the six (!!!) memory models it uses?

Please explain what you think is non-conforming about any of those memory
models.

> Of course, for somebody living in the past, that is an excellent
> compiler for teaching obsolete stuff.

No, it's an excellent compiler for teaching C90, which is the de facto
industry standard, and it runs on any x86 right down to 8086s, which means
that third world orgs have got a fighting chance of laying their hands on
enough machines for one per student. And it's free, of course.

> Imagine, trying to make
> newcomers understand six memory models.

You don't need to understand /any/ of them if you're learning ISO C. Please
learn the facts before posting.

> Never mind. Go ahead with your rubbish.

Thank you for your kind permission to allow me to give good advice to the
OP, but I've got news for you - I don't *need* your permission. Now, if
you're allowed to call good sound advice "rubbish", by the same token I'm
allowed to call your attempted rebuttal ignorant, self-serving, and
puerile. But I won't. Instead, I will simply note that you have a direct
commercial interest in advising people to use the compiler that you
maintain, that there has been a spate of non-conformance issues with that
compiler recently, and that I think the OP (who is after a conforming C
compiler) would be far better off with a compiler written by people who
know C than they would be with an implementation maintained by someone who
holds the Standard in disdain and is on record as saying that he can't
even be bothered to read it properly.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

muntyan@gmail.com

On Feb 20, 5:32 pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos said:
>

> > Richard Heathfield said:

> > > Turbo C is fine, and is available for free download from the Borland
> > > museum site.

> > Is this C90/C95 conformant?

> > The one I found is version 2.01:

> >http://dn.codegear.com/article/20841

> The only non-conformance issue I know about in that version is that it uses
> CLOCK_TCK instead of CLOCKS_PER_SEC. A little quiet hacking (when nobody's
> looking) should fix that.

How about non-compilant stddef.h? The compiler was released before
the C standard, it'd be strange if it were compliant, wouldn't it?
Not that I like lcc-win too much, but I would certainly choose
mingw if I were to choose between lcc-win and Turbo C

Yevgen

Bartc

"Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Nothing about the six (!!!) memory models it uses?

> Thank you for your kind permission to allow me to give good advice to the
> OP, but I've got news for you - I don't *need* your permission. Now, if
> you're allowed to call good sound advice "rubbish", by the same token I'm
> allowed to call your attempted rebuttal ignorant, self-serving, and
> puerile. But I won't.

> Instead, I will simply note that you have a direct
> commercial interest in advising people to use the compiler that you
> maintain,

To be fair, I don't think that compiler (lcc-win32) was mentioned by him, at
least in the parts of this thread I could read.

And I share his concerns somewhat, the students should be using the most
up-to-date compilers they can run. (I wouldn't wish the 8086 memory model -
I don't think you can get away from it - on anyone.)

The OP mentioned Dev-C++ suggesting their hardware is capable.

--
Bart

Ioannis Vranos

> How about non-compilant stddef.h? The compiler was released before
> the C standard, it'd be strange if it were compliant, wouldn't it?
> Not that I like lcc-win too much, but I would certainly choose
> mingw if I were to choose between lcc-win and Turbo C

Which unfortunately has the long double bug.

CBFalconer

jacob navia wrote:
> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos said:

>>> Is this C90/C95 conformant? The one I found is version 2.01:
>>>
>>> http://dn.codegear.com/article/20841

>> The only non-conformance issue I know about in that version is
>> that it uses CLOCK_TCK instead of CLOCKS_PER_SEC. A little quiet
>> hacking (when nobody's looking) should fix that.

> Nothing about the six (!!!) memory models it uses?
>
> Of course, for somebody living in the past, that is an excellent
> compiler for teaching obsolete stuff. Imagine, trying to make
> newcomers understand six memory models.
>
> Never mind. Go ahead with your rubbish.

Of course Jacob doesn't mention that, having selected a suitable
model, you can then just ignore the models (unless you exceed
available sizes) and meanwhile you will find the compiler to be
almost completely C90 standard conformant (with the appropriate
options). Jacobs recommended compiler appears to have some serious
failures to conform to any C standard.

Try the download section.

Bartc

"Ioannis Vranos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fpijsc$jam$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>> How about non-compilant stddef.h? The compiler was released before
>> the C standard, it'd be strange if it were compliant, wouldn't it?
>> Not that I like lcc-win too much, but I would certainly choose
>> mingw if I were to choose between lcc-win and Turbo C

> Which unfortunately has the long double bug.

What is the problem exactly with long double on that compiler? Perhaps it
might be easier to find a workaround.

--
Bart