Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
There is No reason not to use the Wireless. With a little 30min education
you can master it.

From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mike_in_Nebraska" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. Laptop running
> WinXP SP2.
>
> Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
> manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.
>
> For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. I
> initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
> can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Mike

Lem

Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
> On Feb 20, 1:08 pm, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
>>> You are correct, I mis-spoke. I disabled Dell's Wireless Manager's
>>> radio so I could use Windows instead.
>>> Mike

>> Again, I'm confused why you include the word "radio" in the description
>> of what you did. You should be able to disable the Dell Wireless Manager
>> *utility* without also disabling the radio. Many laptops have the
>> ability using software, a hardware switch, or both, to actually disable
>> the wireless radio. This is intended as a power saving technique or to
>> comply with a flight attendant's request. On some Dells, the radio can
>> be turned on/off using the Fn+F2 keys.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the Dell Wireless Manager, but if there's a button
>> or a checkbox that you are selecting that says something like, "Disable
>> radio", that is not the option you want to use. There may not be any
>> User Interface method to disable the Dell utility (from the little I've
>> seen, Dell seems to suggest that the Dell utility will "defer" to
>> Windows Wireless Zero Configuration if WZC is running; seehttp://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/P75353/en/operate.htm).
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

> Must be my misunderstanding. I made the asumption that the Radio in
> the Utility was "just" for that utility and didn't supercede the
> wireless on/off switch on the side of the laptop. Sorry about that.
>
> I've installed the WinXP update mentioned by the other poster and can
> detect the AP's but can't get an IP. Can't figure out why.

If you can now see "available wireless networks," the most likely reason
that you can't get an IP from your wireless router is that you're not
properly authenticating. This primarily results from an encryption
mismatch (using the wrong password or using the wrong level of
encryption), but it can also be caused by other security filters in the
AP such as MAC address filtering.

If you can get the laptop near to your router, try connecting it using
an Ethernet cable. If that works, you know that the problem is
(probably) not caused by some OS problem.

Assuming that the LAN connection to your router works, disable all
security on your wireless router, "remove" the entry for your WiFi
network from the list of "Preferred Networks" in Wireless Connection
Properties/Advanced (http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4) and try to connect.

If you can now get an IP from the wireless AP, re-enable encryption as
desired. Use WPA2-Personal (may be called WPA2-PSK) if available.
Otherwise, use WPA-Personal (may be called WPA-PSK).

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Mike_in_Nebraska

On Feb 20, 4:21*pm, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
> >> Again, I'm confused why you include the word "radio" in the description
> >> of what you did. You should be able to disable the Dell Wireless Manager
> >> *utility* without also disabling the radio. *Many laptops have the
> >> ability using software, a hardware switch, or both, to actually disable
> >> the wireless radio. *This is intended as a power saving technique or to
> >> comply with a flight attendant's request. *On some Dells, the radio can
> >> be turned on/off using the Fn+F2 keys.

> >> I'm not familiar with the Dell Wireless Manager, but if there's a button
> >> or a checkbox that you are selecting that says something like, "Disable
> >> radio", that is not the option you want to use. *There may not be any
> >> User Interface method to disable the Dell utility (from the little I've
> >> seen, Dell seems to suggest that the Dell utility will "defer" to
> >> Windows Wireless Zero Configuration if WZC is running; seehttp://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/P75353/en/operate.htm).

> >> --
> >> Lem -- MS-MVP

> >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...story.n...Hide quoted text -

> > Must be my misunderstanding. *I made the asumption that the Radio in
> > the Utility was "just" for that utility and didn't supercede the
> > wireless on/off switch on the side of the laptop. *Sorry about that.

> > I've installed the WinXP update mentioned by the other poster and can
> > detect the AP's but can't get an IP. Can't figure out why.

> If you can now see "available wireless networks," the most likely reason
> that you can't get an IP from your wireless router is that you're not
> properly authenticating. *This primarily results from an encryption
> mismatch (using the wrong password or using the wrong level of
> encryption), but it can also be caused by other security filters in the
> AP such as MAC address filtering.
>
> If you can get the laptop near to your router, try connecting it using
> an Ethernet cable. *If that works, you know that the problem is
> (probably) not caused by some OS problem.
>
> Assuming that the LAN connection to your router works, disable all
> security on your wireless router, "remove" the entry for your WiFi
> network from the list of "Preferred Networks" in Wireless Connection
> Properties/Advanced (http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4) and try to connect.
>
> If you can now get an IP from the wireless AP, re-enable encryption as
> desired. *Use WPA2-Personal (may be called WPA2-PSK) if available.
> Otherwise, use WPA-Personal (may be called WPA-PSK).
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP
>
> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

I appreciate your comments, thanks.