Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot freezes

Boot freezes

Charles

My, and many others, computer freezes during the scroll portion of the boot.
It only does it if the computer was shut down normally. If restarted or
forced to boot from boot menu it will boot normally. I have eliminated any
chance of a heating or warm up parts failure. 1. What difference is there in
the start up files? 2. if exact same boot files then what is the diff. in the
process?

Colin Barnhorst

What operating system?

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My, and many others, computer freezes during the scroll portion of the
> boot.
> It only does it if the computer was shut down normally. If restarted or
> forced to boot from boot menu it will boot normally. I have eliminated any
> chance of a heating or warm up parts failure. 1. What difference is there
> in
> the start up files? 2. if exact same boot files then what is the diff. in
> the
> process?

Charles

Sorry. Win VISTA Home Premium 64 bit

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> What operating system?
>
> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My, and many others, computer freezes during the scroll portion of the
> > boot.
> > It only does it if the computer was shut down normally. If restarted or
> > forced to boot from boot menu it will boot normally. I have eliminated any
> > chance of a heating or warm up parts failure. 1. What difference is there
> > in
> > the start up files? 2. if exact same boot files then what is the diff. in
> > the
> > process?

Charles

Also My boot.ini.back has my old win XP, but my present Boot.ini is empty.
Tried to approximate what should show, changing the xp comments to read the
vista home prem. no help there.

John Barnes

Vista does not use the boot.ini file

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Also My boot.ini.back has my old win XP, but my present Boot.ini is empty.
> Tried to approximate what should show, changing the xp comments to read
> the
> vista home prem. no help there.

John Barnes

By boot menu do you mean F8 menu or a dual booting menu

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My, and many others, computer freezes during the scroll portion of the
> boot.
> It only does it if the computer was shut down normally. If restarted or
> forced to boot from boot menu it will boot normally. I have eliminated any
> chance of a heating or warm up parts failure. 1. What difference is there
> in
> the start up files? 2. if exact same boot files then what is the diff. in
> the
> process?

Charles

I am refering to the F8 option.
Rebooting, F8 and restarting a frozen or failed boot all succeed. The only
lock up is booting after a normal shutdown.