Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Backward Compatibility (Slow Processor, "Fast" Software)

Backward Compatibility (Slow Processor, "Fast" Software)

Elmer

I just ordered a cheap and poorly reviewed DVD burner from a major
tech discount site because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I hardly ever burn
CDs, but just need the convenience, and 3) never burn DVDs.

Anyway, the tech support guy at the company said a 18X x 8X would be
runnable on a Pentium 3 but that the 700-something Megherz would be
problematic for the Nero software that comes with it, that runs at 1
G. He also said Not to Worry; you can download slower software.

But I went to Nero's site and couldn't find "slow" software
downloads. Does anyone know what www.cdspeed2000.com is about,
because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
got.

Thanks.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I just ordered a cheap and poorly reviewed DVD burner from a major
>tech discount site because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I hardly ever burn
>CDs, but just need the convenience, and 3) never burn DVDs.
>
>Anyway, the tech support guy at the company said a 18X x 8X would be
>runnable on a Pentium 3 but that the 700-something Megherz would be
>problematic for the Nero software that comes with it, that runs at 1
>G. He also said Not to Worry; you can download slower software.
>
>But I went to Nero's site and couldn't find "slow" software
>downloads. Does anyone know what www.cdspeed2000.com is about,
>because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
>got.

www.cdspeed2000.com is the download site for a suite of utilities that
test and benchmark optical drives.

What exactly are you intending to do with this burner? The speed of your
computer has the most to do with processing video and authoring DVD's. If
you're just using the drive to play discs, and burn occasional data DVD's,
then speed should not be an issue regardless of the software.

Elmer

On Feb 20, 9:09 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I just ordered a cheap and poorly reviewed DVD burner from a major
> >tech discount site because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I hardly ever burn
> >CDs, but just need the convenience, and 3) never burn DVDs.

> >Anyway, the tech support guy at the company said a 18X x 8X would be
> >runnable on a Pentium 3 but that the 700-something Megherz would be
> >problematic for the Nero software that comes with it, that runs at 1
> >G. He also said Not to Worry; you can download slower software.

> >But I went to Nero's site and couldn't find "slow" software
> >downloads. Does anyone know whatwww.cdspeed2000.comis about,
> >because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
> >got.

> www.cdspeed2000.comis the download site for a suite of utilities that
> test and benchmark optical drives.
>
> What exactly are you intending to do with this burner? The speed of your
> computer has the most to do with processing video and authoring DVD's. If
> you're just using the drive to play discs, and burn occasional data DVD's,
> then speed should not be an issue regardless of the software.

Thanks, much, for the comprehensive answer. I'd like to burn an
occasional data CD and possibly an occasional video (home-made, not
theatrical release). I used a Pentium M to do this a few years ago,
on a laptop with an external burner. It took forty years in the
desert, but it did it; and I assumed a "M" was equivalent to a P3.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Feb 20, 9:09 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> Elmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I just ordered a cheap and poorly reviewed DVD burner from a major
>> >tech discount site because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I hardly ever burn
>> >CDs, but just need the convenience, and 3) never burn DVDs.

>> >Anyway, the tech support guy at the company said a 18X x 8X would be
>> >runnable on a Pentium 3 but that the 700-something Megherz would be
>> >problematic for the Nero software that comes with it, that runs at 1
>> >G. He also said Not to Worry; you can download slower software.

>> >But I went to Nero's site and couldn't find "slow" software
>> >downloads. Does anyone know whatwww.cdspeed2000.comis about,
>> >because I found it referenced in one of the bad reviews the burner
>> >got.

>> www.cdspeed2000.com is the download site for a suite of utilities that
>> test and benchmark optical drives.
>>
>> What exactly are you intending to do with this burner? The speed of your
>> computer has the most to do with processing video and authoring DVD's. If
>> you're just using the drive to play discs, and burn occasional data DVD's,
>> then speed should not be an issue regardless of the software.

>Thanks, much, for the comprehensive answer. I'd like to burn an
>occasional data CD and possibly an occasional video (home-made, not
>theatrical release). I used a Pentium M to do this a few years ago,
>on a laptop with an external burner. It took forty years in the
>desert, but it did it; and I assumed a "M" was equivalent to a P3.

Processing video on an underpowered computer (CPU speed, RAM size, hard disk
speed) will take longer but if you're willing to wait, and have a hard
drive large enough to hold all the data, it will eventually finish. This
is not directly related to the DVD burner. As long as the hard drive and
data bus can supply it with data fast enough to meet your chosen burning
speed, you can burn DVD's efficiently. Just check Device Manager to make
sure that the new burner is running in a DMA (UDMA) and not PIO mode.
(CD Speed's info tool should be able to tell you this once it's installed).

Elmer

On Feb 20, 9:32 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote:
> Just check Device Manager to make
> sure that the new burner is running in a DMA (UDMA) and not PIO mode.
> (CD Speed's info tool should be able to tell you this once it's installed).

Thanks again! I Googled "DMA" and "PIO," and wow, did I find a lot of
complaints.