Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Open Word Document from SQL Server and Save back again

Reply
Thread Tools

Open Word Document from SQL Server and Save back again

 
 
Jude_44
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
Hi there

I currently have a site that stores versions of Word and Excel docs in SQL
Server. User can Download the file, edit it and then Upload it again, where
it is stored in SQL Server DB as a new Version.

Following complaints from users, we need to look into options to allow users
to open the word doc from SQL, and then when Save is clicked it would save
the updated document from memory back to SQL Server.

Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using almost
any version of Word?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Timney \(MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
Why can't you just install WSS

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog


"Jude_44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there
>
> I currently have a site that stores versions of Word and Excel docs in SQL
> Server. User can Download the file, edit it and then Upload it again,
> where
> it is stored in SQL Server DB as a new Version.
>
> Following complaints from users, we need to look into options to allow
> users
> to open the word doc from SQL, and then when Save is clicked it would save
> the updated document from memory back to SQL Server.
>
> Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
> Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using
> almost
> any version of Word?
>
> Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks
> Dave



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Rae [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
"Jude_44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
> Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using
> almost
> any version of Word?


Why don't you just use SharePoint - this is one of the requirements for
which it was specifically designed...


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jude_44
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
Yep, I had considered that; essentially it seems like a large amount of work.
Also, security is maintained based on specific workflow conditions, roles
and many other limitations all handled within my existing ASP.NET application
etc, and I have an existing checkin/checkout structure in place as well as
specific behind-the-scenes functionality tied to checkins/checkouts and
actual Sending of any document. To shift it all over to Sharepoint would be a
large amount of work, and would make it far more complex to handle and give a
larger attack surface for the app.
Very specific rights would be applixcable to each version of each document,
and to try and implement this in Sharepoint with all the above seems like a
large task.
If Sharepoint is the only means of accomplishing this, then so-be-it, I can
keep in mind for later versions of the application, but theres not enough
time to attempt that for our current release schedule. I was hoping there was
some means of simply getting the in-memory binary of the doc at save-time and
saving it back to SQL directly, in the same way as I do it at the moment at
document generation time on the server.

Thanks for your suggestion; if anyone else has any other ideas to add, I am
again happy to hear

Thanks
Dave

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "Jude_44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
> > Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using
> > almost
> > any version of Word?

>
> Why don't you just use SharePoint - this is one of the requirements for
> which it was specifically designed...
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Rae [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
"Jude_44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
>> > Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using
>> > almost any version of Word?

>>
>> Why don't you just use SharePoint - this is one of the requirements for
>> which it was specifically designed...

>
> If Sharepoint is the only means of accomplishing this, then so-be-it, I
> can
> keep in mind for later versions of the application, but theres not enough
> time to attempt that for our current release schedule. I was hoping there
> was
> some means of simply getting the in-memory binary of the doc at save-time
> and
> saving it back to SQL directly, in the same way as I do it at the moment
> at
> document generation time on the server.


I wouldn't say that Sharepoint would be the only way of achieving what you
want but, from my experience with it, I'd say that it would be much less
work than trying to roll your own...


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
bruce barker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
word uses webdav to talk to sharepoint. this is an open standard and you can
can write a webdav frontend to your sqlserver. sourceforge has a starter kit.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)


"Jude_44" wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I currently have a site that stores versions of Word and Excel docs in SQL
> Server. User can Download the file, edit it and then Upload it again, where
> it is stored in SQL Server DB as a new Version.
>
> Following complaints from users, we need to look into options to allow users
> to open the word doc from SQL, and then when Save is clicked it would save
> the updated document from memory back to SQL Server.
>
> Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
> Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using almost
> any version of Word?
>
> Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks
> Dave

 
Reply With Quote
 
siccolo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
On Feb 20, 6:26*am, Jude_44 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I currently have a site that stores versions of Word and Excel docs in SQL
> Server. User can Download the file, edit it and then Upload it again, where
> it is stored in SQL Server DB as a new Version.
>
> Following complaints from users, we need to look into options to allow users
> to open the word doc from SQL, and then when Save is clicked it would save
> the updated document from memory back to SQL Server.
>
> Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
> Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using almost
> any version of Word?
>
> Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks
> Dave


well, you can use OLE Automation in SQL Server ( look under
sp_OACreate and others in Books Online).
see my articles http://www.siccolo.com/Articles/SQLS..._to_table.html
and http://www.siccolo.com/articles/code...procedure.html

HTH
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Rae [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2008
"siccolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Well, you can use OLE Automation in SQL Server


How would that help in ASP.NET...?


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
siccolo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2008
On Feb 20, 2:14*pm, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "siccolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Well, you can use OLE Automation in SQL Server

>
> How would that help in ASP.NET...?
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net


hmmm... the original title is "Open Word Document from SQL Server and
Save back again Options "...that's why I suggested SQL Server OLE
automation...sorry if I mislead author...


... more at http://www.siccolo.com/articles.asp ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open existing Word document, modify and save. gsal Python 1 01-15-2008 06:51 PM
how to open a word document saved in sql server in asp.net jefftim@gmail.com ASP .Net 2 08-18-2006 08:39 AM
How to open a word document saved in sql server in asp.net when using windows XP/2003 jefftim@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 08-08-2006 03:34 PM
How to open a word document saved in sql server in asp.net jefftim@gmail.com ASP .Net 4 07-06-2006 07:04 AM
How to read an SQL Server into a ASP page and then change, add, delete and write it back to SQL Server Belinda ASP General 4 06-11-2004 12:16 PM



Advertisments