Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mapping middle mouse to Open In New Tab

Mapping middle mouse to Open In New Tab

Lukan

I've just bought a new Dell PC with Vista. The first thing I did on it
was to install Firefox and Thunderbird.

The middle button (wheel button) on my mouse isn't set up to open links
in new tabs/close tabs when you click on them. I can't remember doing
anything to set this up on my old PC, it was just always like that.

How do I go about setting it up?

Thanks.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Lukan wrote:
> I've just bought a new Dell PC with Vista. The first thing I did on it
> was to install Firefox and Thunderbird.
>
> The middle button (wheel button) on my mouse isn't set up to open links
> in new tabs/close tabs when you click on them. I can't remember doing
> anything to set this up on my old PC, it was just always like that.
>
> How do I go about setting it up?
>
> Thanks.

for FF: in the address bar type in about:config and look for
this entry:

browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick

once found, double click on it and change it to true.

For TB -- I'm not sure but I think its: Click on Tools,
Options, Advanced, General Tab, and Config Editor button,
and look for this entry:

middlemouse.contentLoadURL

and change it to true

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Lukan

>> Thanks.
>
> for FF: in the address bar type in about:config and look for this entry:
>
> browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick
>
> once found, double click on it and change it to true.

That's interesting, according to that it's already set as true.

Doesn't work though

Lukan

I turned off the mouse software for so called "advanced functions" that
was booting up with Windows. For whatever reason that was screwing up
the middle click functions (for both FF and IE, incidentally, so it's
not a FF issue).

......... why do PC companies load so much crap on their new systems that
doesn't do anything constructive or necessary, that's what I want to
know....