Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to pronounce 'Core', as in 'Intel Core 2 Duo'?

How to pronounce 'Core', as in 'Intel Core 2 Duo'?

tasTDasd

It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.

But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.

So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

olfart

"tasTDasd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fpgrqt$hl5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>
> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>
> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

us rednecks say "co"

Kenny

Rhymes with more, sore and whore.

--
Kenny Cargill

"tasTDasd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fpgrqt$hl5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>
> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>
> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

sdlomi2

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "tasTDasd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fpgrqt$hl5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
>> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>>
>> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
>> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>>
>> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
>> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?
>>

> us rednecks say "co"

Too good, olfart!...and if you drop it on the flo, it will probably
break. So just pick it up, wipe it off, and take it along as you exit
through the do. Ya' know, us rednecks sho do talk a bit strange, huh?
But to be serious, I think we pronounce it such that it rhymes with "whore",
"bore", and "four". ja notice one of those words had more'n 4 letters? s

olfart

"sdlomi2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%nTuj.92446$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "tasTDasd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fpgrqt$hl5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
>>> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>>>
>>> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
>>> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>>>
>>> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
>>> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?
>>>

>> us rednecks say "co"

> Too good, olfart!...and if you drop it on the flo, it will probably
> break. So just pick it up, wipe it off, and take it along as you exit
> through the do. Ya' know, us rednecks sho do talk a bit strange, huh?
> But to be serious, I think we pronounce it such that it rhymes with
> "whore", "bore", and "four". ja notice one of those words had more'n 4
> letters? s

I'm not so sho I can go with mo than fo. Lost my thumb in a huntin aksident.
Got it stuck in a can of Bud and my buddy tried to shoot it off

John Holmes

Kenny "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Rhymes with more, sore and whore.

Door?

--
<znip>

Synapse Syndrome

"tasTDasd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fpgrqt$hl5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>
> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>
> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

Yes, it's 'Kor'.

So they never had adverts for them on TV in China?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AFz--z5Meho

ss.

Blinky the Shark

tasTDasd wrote:

> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>
> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>
> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

kor

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

catchme

tasTDasd wrote:
> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>
> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>
> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

ni ho mah?
the correct pronounciation of "core" is as you thought- "kor."

ProfGene

tasTDasd wrote:
> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
>
> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
>
> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

You were right the first time like kor just like you are coring an apple.