Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > HP DV1100 and Netgear 802.11G connections...

HP DV1100 and Netgear 802.11G connections...

=?Utf-8?B?SHVudGVyIEI=?=

If you received your HP Laptop directly from HP or a Vendor (CompUSA,
MicroCenter etc.)and they did not configure it for wireless connection, then
continue. There is a button in the middle of the laptop above the F1-F12
keys that says "Wireless Connetion" Press this; If it lights up continue.
When the "New Hardware found" do a search on the C:\ Hard drive for the
device drivers or if you can locate your CD put in the CD Drive. You will
now notice that Blue Tooth is enabled after it installs the software. You
can keep this enabled or disable it in the Network Connections from the
control panel. I personally do a reboot after installing new hardware. You
will now be able to see all the Network connections in you area. Pretty cool.

Your neighbor is clueless on how to do a wireless network because he is
displaying an unsecure connection. You can adjust your Network card on the
laptop and router to only see 802.11G networks at this point (if this is a
802.11g router and compatible network card) or before if you would like.
This will block out all 802.11b networks in your area if you select on
802.11G only.
I am trying to connect to a Netgear four port wireless Router. This means
that you have five plugs in the back of the router. Plug one ethernet cable
into your modem/dsl and then the other into WAN of the router. Configure
your router according to the directions for DHCP and internet connection.
Plug all other PC's into 1-4. Make sure you don't exceed four PC's with a
wireless and non wireless connection total.
When configuring the Netgear router make sure to go to the additional
settings and add the MAC address of the wireless network card of the laptop
to allow access to the router. You can find your mac address by going to
Start/Run and typing "cmd" and hit enter. At the command prompt type (black
screen with C:\Documents and Settings\{name} "ipconfi g /all" - and hit
enter. You will notice in the second area in the network adaptors that says
"Physical Address.....59:0b:5g:d8:0m:t4" a number similar to this. This is
not my MAC addrss so don't try to copy it. LOL
This is your MAC address. Locate at the bottom of the list in Add MAC
address allowed to poass though or something like that. I will update later
with the exact name and router type from Netgear. For the name put in the
computer name you called it. Start/rt. click on My Computer and go to
Properties. What is the computer name you assigned to the PC when you first
set it up?
That is the name you can put in that field. The MAC address is the
most important. Once you add that then click update on the router screen.
Configure our Network card and router according to Barb Bowmans article. I
tried this with everything disabled and then WEP and then WPA-PSK and it
works great. Here is the article in case you can't locate it
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx
Go to Start/Shutdown and Reboot everything if you want. Again I reboot
after all new configurations.
WOW. You are now connected and now you will be able to connect to the
router and internet.