Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Hijacker

Hijacker

Billy

I keep findin an entry ISTbar Hijacker.
I remove it but the next time I run scan there it is.
Details say something like H key local microsoft windows.
How do I get rid of this and how dangerous is it?
Thanks

Sebastian G.

Billy wrote:

> I keep findin an entry ISTbar Hijacker.
> I remove it but the next time I run scan there it is.
> Details say something like H key local microsoft windows.

You have flattened and rebuilt the system, yet it's still there? Then you
must be doing something incredibly wrong...

Jim Watt

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:26:53 -0600, Billy <(E-Mail Removed)'s> wrote:

>I keep findin an entry ISTbar Hijacker.
>I remove it but the next time I run scan there it is.
>Details say something like H key local microsoft windows.
>How do I get rid of this and how dangerous is it?
>Thanks

According the Google which many people use to
find information rather than asking here;

"Installed by ActiveX drive-by download on affiliate sites, typically
porn adverts, from April 2003. At least ISTbar/AUpdate is known to
install using aggressive JavaScript."

You may be able to get rid of it easily enough
without following Sebastians crash and burn advice.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

David H. Lipman

From: "Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)'s>

| I keep findin an entry ISTbar Hijacker.
| I remove it but the next time I run scan there it is.
| Details say something like H key local microsoft windows.
| How do I get rid of this and how dangerous is it?
| Thanks

Please download, install and update the following software...

* Ad-aware SE 2007
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm

* SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.5
http://security.kolla.de/
http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

* SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

--
Dave

Ertugrul Söylemez

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:22:46 GMT
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> Please download, install and update the following software...

I remember a discussion a few days ago. It was about useless products,
and about advertising them. Useless posts like these make me change my
mind at times. Luckily I'm pretty confident about my view.

Regards,
Ertugrul.

--
http://ertes.de/

nemo_outis

Billy <(E-Mail Removed)'s> wrote in news:eUsuj.66$(E-Mail Removed):

> I keep findin an entry ISTbar Hijacker.
> I remove it but the next time I run scan there it is.
> Details say something like H key local microsoft windows.
> How do I get rid of this and how dangerous is it?
> Thanks

A better newsgroups in which to seek advice on this problem is:

alt.privacy.spyware

In general, you will find that cleaning your system usually does not
require flattening and rebuilding - despite Sebastian's (mis-)advice.
There are a number of programs which can remove most spyware without
requiring such drastic and tiresome methods.

Regards,

Ertugrul Söylemez

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:59:36 GMT
"nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In general, you will find that cleaning your system usually does not
> require flattening and rebuilding - despite Sebastian's (mis-)advice.
> There are a number of programs which can remove most spyware without
> requiring such drastic and tiresome methods.

He is right in that flattening and rebuilding the system is the only way
to _guarantee_ that all malware has been removed.

Regards,
Ertugrul.

--
http://ertes.de/

Todd H.

Ertugrul Sylemez <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:59:36 GMT
> "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In general, you will find that cleaning your system usually does not
>> require flattening and rebuilding - despite Sebastian's (mis-)advice.
>> There are a number of programs which can remove most spyware without
>> requiring such drastic and tiresome methods.

> He is right in that flattening and rebuilding the system is the only way
> to _guarantee_ that all malware has been removed.

Indeed.

There's quite a difference between "most spyware" and "all malware."

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

David H. Lipman

From: "Ertugrul Söylemez" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| He is right in that flattening and rebuilding the system is the only way
| to _guarantee_ that all malware has been removed.
|
| Regards,
| Ertugrul.

For ISTbar ?

That's like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer. Way overboard. We are not talking about a
password stealing Trojan with RootKit techniques. We are just talking about minor,
annoying, adware program.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_116303.htm

--
Dave

Sebastian G.

Todd H. wrote:

> Ertugrul Sylemez <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:59:36 GMT
>> "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In general, you will find that cleaning your system usually does not
>>> require flattening and rebuilding - despite Sebastian's (mis-)advice.
>>> There are a number of programs which can remove most spyware without
>>> requiring such drastic and tiresome methods.

>> He is right in that flattening and rebuilding the system is the only way
>> to _guarantee_ that all malware has been removed.

> Indeed.
>
> There's quite a difference between "most spyware" and "all malware."

The problem is that's no way to differ between those, thus no "removal tool"
could provide just any non-zero reliability.

Do you think that one could reasonably work with a computer that must be
reasonably distrusted with everything he does?