Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MCSE 2003 Exams, Work Experience Prerequisites , a challenge for s

MCSE 2003 Exams, Work Experience Prerequisites , a challenge for s

MAWUKO

Hello,

I have some 4 years working experience in Computing, starting from static
web designing and now systems Admin. I am getting ready to study for the MCSE
exams on server 2003. One thing that marvels me is the work experience
Prerequisites.

Quote: "The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) on Windows Server
2003 credential is intended for IT professionals who work in the typically
complex computing environment of medium to large companies. An MCSE candidate
should have at least one year of experience implementing and administering a
network operating system in environments that have the following
characteristics:

• 250 to 5,000 or more users
• Three or more physical locations
• Three or more domain controllers
• Network services and resources such as messaging, database, file and
print, proxy server, firewall, Internet, intranet, remote access, and client
computer management
• Connectivity requirements such as connecting branch offices and
individual users in remote locations to the corporate network and connecting
corporate networks to the Internet
In addition, an MCSE candidate should have at least one year of experience
in the following areas:
• Designing a network infrastructure
• Implementing and administering a desktop operating system"

I am from Ghana in West Africa and I currently work in Liberia in the same
region. It is very difficult to even find companies with 150 computers. Does
it mean that some of use who have not even worked for such companies have no
chance of getting certified? I just want to know..
Comments Please

John R

"MAWUKO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have some 4 years working experience in Computing, starting from static
> web designing and now systems Admin. I am getting ready to study for the
> MCSE
> exams on server 2003. One thing that marvels me is the work experience
> Prerequisites.
>
> Quote: "The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) on Windows Server
> 2003 credential is intended for IT professionals who work in the typically
> complex computing environment of medium to large companies. An MCSE
> candidate
> should have at least one year of experience implementing and administering
> network operating system in environments that have the following
> characteristics:
>
> . 250 to 5,000 or more users
> . Three or more physical locations
> . Three or more domain controllers
> . Network services and resources such as messaging, database, file and
> print, proxy server, firewall, Internet, intranet, remote access, and
> client
> computer management
> . Connectivity requirements such as connecting branch offices and
> individual users in remote locations to the corporate network and
> connecting
> corporate networks to the Internet
> In addition, an MCSE candidate should have at least one year of experience
> in the following areas:
> . Designing a network infrastructure
> . Implementing and administering a desktop operating system"
>
> I am from Ghana in West Africa and I currently work in Liberia in the same
> region. It is very difficult to even find companies with 150 computers.
> Does
> it mean that some of use who have not even worked for such companies have
> no
> chance of getting certified? I just want to know..
> Comments Please

Certifications are about experience, not necessarily training. Working for
such companies will provide experience with things like RIS, WSUS, Active
Directory Sites and Services, Active Directory replication, WINS replication
strategies, DNS deployments, Software deployment using GPOs, etc, which are
tested heavily in the exams, thereby making certification much easier. An
MCSE on Server 2003 is expected to know these tools, how to use them, and
when to use them.

That being said, nobody ever asked me for a profile of the company I worked
for before I took any of the exams. I did happen to work for a company with
10 locations and about 600 desktops, as well as an ASP environment, so I had
experience with all of the items prior to taking the exams, but I was never
queried about it as a prerequisite. Many of the troubleshooting questions I
had in the exams were scenarios I had actually worked through in real life.

It is possible for you to learn and understand all of the items without
having the experience, but for your best chance of success, there is no
teacher like experience in working through problems on the scales listed.

Should you earn the certification, and you present yourself to a potential
employer as an MCSE, and they look at your resume and see that you have only
worked for single location companies, they will question you on what you
know about WAN technologies, replication strategies, etc. Your lack of
experience on such scales may put you at a disadvantage to someone who has
the cert and also has the experience, and possibly behind someone who does
not have the cert but does have the experience.

Good luck to you.

John R