Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "Standby" No Longer Works

"Standby" No Longer Works

Jack W

XP Home edition. The monitor goes into standby as programmed but not
the hard discs anymore. Even when I call up "Turn off computer" and
click "Standby" manually, the damn discs remain at full power. Worked
fine until today and no one changed anything. Help.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:53:35 GMT, Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote:

>XP Home edition.

Ok.. good start. Laptop? Desktop?

>The monitor goes into standby as programmed but not
>the hard discs anymore.

Umm... So just the hard drive? What about the power supply? Or are you
confusing a power supply with a 'hard disc'?

>Even when I call up "Turn off computer" and click "Standby" manually,

As opposed to... Your computer is set to go to standby manually?

>the damn discs remain at full power.

As opposed to half power?

>Worked fine until today and no one changed anything. Help.

More details would help.

Bucky Breeder

Windswept@Home (Jack W) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> XP Home edition. The monitor goes into standby as
> programmed but not the hard discs anymore. Even
> when I call up "Turn off computer" and click "Standby"
> manually, the damn discs remain at full power. Worked
> fine until today and no one changed anything. Help.

It sounds like [someone] has run a registry cleaner, either
automatically or manually? Tried to system restore back a
few notches? Try first to simply reboot, or better, totally
turn off for a few minutes then restart, then goto your
Desktop Properties | Screen Saver tab | Power... button
and check out your settings.

--

My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

New York, New York, USA, the greatest city in the whole wide world:

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifes...19876020080214

http://nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/lindsay-as-marilyn/