Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Passed 70-649 : TS:Upgrading MCSE on Wndws Serv 2003 to Wndws Serv 2008

Passed 70-649 : TS:Upgrading MCSE on Wndws Serv 2003 to Wndws Serv 2008

Harvey Colwell

No congrats necessary.

I just want to give my opinion about the exam experience. This was
definitely the hardest certification exam that I have ever taken (my 44th).
The exam was broken down into three sections, and only 55 questions total. I
would have preferred 55 questions on each section. But I guess the results
would have been the same. I actually did quite well on the exam, but my
sore does not reflect how growling it was.

70-640 - 22 Questions, Score 800
70-642 - 14 Questions, Score 850
70-643 - 19 Questions, Score 1000

I imagine that the biggest obstacle was the lake of published study
material. There are several test preparation guides in the works, but none
of them are available for purchase yet. So I had to rely mainly on TechNet,
sites such as IIS.NET, and my test lab (which I used Virtual PC this time).

I did use SelfTest Software's practice exam. It had 270 questions and was an
excellent tool for gauging your overall knowledge. But it was very little
help on the actual exam. Or at least, it was very little help on the set of
question that I got. I had many questions in many areas that just wasn't
covered.

I had read that the exam was, and SelfTest Software's practice exam
obviously was, heavily orientated toward the command line. It makes since
that the exam would be that way, considering that Microsoft has been telling
us for years that we should log in with a restricted account and launch our
administrative tools using RUNAS and now that they have released "server
core", a command line only version of windows. But my exam was heavy on GUI
configurations. There were some command line questions, but no more than
usual.

BTW: I do love the command line; I even use it when I don't have to. You
name a tool, and I can launch it from the command line; EVENTVWR,
COMPMGMT.MSC, SYSDM.CPL, CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, ADSIEDIT.MSC, DSSITE.MSC,
etc, etc, etc. In fact I've used the command line for so long, that I had
problems the other day showing a customer how to find the MANAGE NETWORK
PASSWORDS dialog box through the GUI.

I started studying in earnest at Thanksgiving. Originally I wanted to take
the exam by the end of the year. But after getting into it, it was obvious
that that wasn't going to happen. So I set a self-imposed deadline to get
certified before the product was release. I just made it by a couple of
weeks.

Back to the exam itself; I've posted in the past about how many of Microsoft's
exam questions were written so that you can't just know the answer, look
down and see it in the list. You're forced to answer the question by first
ruling out the other three answers. Then no matter how vaguely true the
remaining answer is, since it the only one that is in any way true, it's the
right answer.

For example: The right answer may be true in certain situations, or it may
be one step of a multiple step procedure. But since you've positively ruled
out the other three answers, it the one you have to choose.

I'm so relieved that this one is in the bag. I do plan on taking the
Enterprise Administrator exam. But I'm waiting for a preparation guide
before I start. I haven't decided if I'll upgrade my Plus Messaging or not.

Mostly Gizzards

"Harvey Colwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No congrats necessary.
>
> I just want to give my opinion about the exam experience.

Thanks for the info. Good stuff.

MG

Giday

Dear all,

I have taken the 70-649 i failed but when I want to take the exam again .I
can not register it is not allowed.So what shall I do to retake advise please
thanks.

Regards
Giday

MCTS Win Serv 2008 Andy MCTS 2 04-19-2008 09:00 PM
MCSE 2000 passed and 70-292 & 70-296 but no MCSE 2003 anonymous MCSE 1 04-06-2004 07:46 PM

Advertisments