Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > strange validation error

strange validation error

Gernot Frisch

Hi,

with this site:
http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=news

I always get:

Line 165, character 92:
.... GLBasic.com/main.php?lang=en&site=order#free"><br>FREE for s ...

Somehow it doesn't like the "&". But... why? And what should I do?
I replaced it with &amp; but then firefox will not recognize the link
properly.

--
------------------------------------
Gernot Frisch

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Gernot Frisch" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> with this site:
> http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=news
>
> I always get:
>
> Line 165, character 92:
> ... GLBasic.com/main.php?lang=en&site=order#free"><br>FREE for s ...
>
> Somehow it doesn't like the "&". But... why? And what should I do?
> I replaced it with &amp; but then firefox will not recognize the link
> properly.

Please provide a page with the &amp; in the link. Firefox, or any other
browser, should not have any problems with
name=value&amp;name=value&amp;=value

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Jonathan N. Little

Gernot Frisch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with this site:
> http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=news
>

> I always get:
>
> Line 165, character 92:
> ... GLBasic.com/main.php?lang=en&site=order#free"><br>FREE for s ...
>

> Somehow it doesn't like the "&". But... why? And what should I do?
> I replaced it with &amp; but then firefox will not recognize the link
> properly.

Is correct and Firefox has no problem

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

mynameisnobodyodyssea@googlemail.com

On Feb 18, 3:33 pm, "Gernot Frisch" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with this site:http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=news
>
> I always get:
>
> Line 165, character 92:
> ... GLBasic.com/main.php?lang=en&site=order#free"><br>FREE for s ...
>
> Somehow it doesn't like the "&". But... why? And what should I do?
> I replaced it with &amp; but then firefox will not recognize the link
> properly.

If you mean that you got that error as an HTML mark-up error
it is because you need to escape the ampersand character
& within URLs in <a> tags as &amp;
not to be a confusion with the start of an entity reference, see
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/valida...blems.html#amp

I do not understand why, when you escaped the ampersand,
the link did not work in your browser.
Did you try to change to an XHTML doctype?

What do you get when you click on the link
with the escaped ampersand?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:33:53 GMT
Gernot Frisch scribed:

> Hi,
>
> with this site:
> http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=news
>

> I always get:
>
> Line 165, character 92:
> ... GLBasic.com/main.php?lang=en&site=order#free"><br>FREE for s ...
>

> Somehow it doesn't like the "&". But... why? And what should I do?
> I replaced it with &amp; but then firefox will not recognize the link
> properly.

I use &amp; in links in Firefox all the time with no problem. Can you
demonstrate with a url?

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Gernot Frisch

>> Somehow it doesn't like the "&". But... why? And what should I do?
>> I replaced it with &amp; but then firefox will not recognize the link
>> properly.

> I use &amp; in links in Firefox all the time with no problem. Can you
> demonstrate with a url?

Oh dear! I replaced the text also in the description I guess. Now it seems
to work perfectly. Thank you!

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:29:10
GMT Gernot Frisch scribed:

>>> Somehow it doesn't like the "&". But... why? And what should I do?
>>> I replaced it with &amp; but then firefox will not recognize the
>>> link properly.

>> I use &amp; in links in Firefox all the time with no problem. Can
>> you demonstrate with a url?

> Oh dear! I replaced the text also in the description I guess. Now it
> seems to work perfectly. Thank you!

We all make boo boos, -everyone. Don't sweat it.

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.