Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > my pc won't boot

my pc won't boot

rAgAv

hello,

computer configuration:-

Win XP pro SP2
512 MB Ram
Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
something)

when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
vertical lines on the screen...

So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
before the boot up and nothing more.

I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
or del or any other button

What should I do?

Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
keyboard doesn't work that time.

Please help me if you know what's going on here...

Regards.

Bucky Breeder

rAgAv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> hello,
>
> computer configuration:- > > Win XP pro SP2 > 512 MB Ram
> Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
> something)
> > > >

> when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
> and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
> vertical lines on the screen...
>
> So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
> before the boot up and nothing more.
>
> I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
> or del or any other button
>
> What should I do?
>
> Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
> keyboard doesn't work that time.
>
> Please help me if you know what's going on here... > > Regards.

Sounds like your MBR if fubared...

I use Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional v6.10.07 boot CD...
You might have a friend who will lend you their copy.

It's pretty much badda-bing intuitive once you boot from the CD.

--

My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

Iceland up in the Howze? How ya doin' Iceland!!!?
Happy National Bun Day, Iceland!!!

(Wow! "History". Kinda teers ya up, doesn't it?)

rAgAv

I wish it was that simple...

But, the PC won't go beyond the splash screen. I can't do anything...I
can just stare at the splash screen

nothing happens when I press F8 or del or any other button...

I tried pressing tab but that landed me onto the POST screen and then
nothing happened when I pressed F2 or F8.....it was basically stuck

I couldn't even try and boot from the XP boot CD!!

So, this is pretty weird...

All this happens one fine morning when I hadn't done anything wrong
the previous time I shut it down....

Bucky Breeder

Well then, good luck on that.

--

My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

Iceland up in the Howze? How ya doin' Iceland!!!?
Happy National Bun Day, Iceland!!!

(Wow! "History". Kinda teers ya up, doesn't it?)

Ingeborg

rAgAv wrote:

> I wish it was that simple...
>
> But, the PC won't go beyond the splash screen. I can't do anything...I
> can just stare at the splash screen
>
> nothing happens when I press F8 or del or any other button...
>
> I tried pressing tab but that landed me onto the POST screen and then
> nothing happened when I pressed F2 or F8.....it was basically stuck
>
> I couldn't even try and boot from the XP boot CD!!
>
> So, this is pretty weird...
>

> All this happens one fine morning when I hadn't done anything wrong
> the previous time I shut it down....

Yout BIOS settings got damaged, or your motherboard. In the second case
you'll have to exchange it, in the first case you can reset it. Look in you
motherboard manual how to do this. In most cases you'll have to place a
jumper on 2 pins for a short time.

Rgr

rAgAv wrote:
> hello,
>
> computer configuration:-
>
> Win XP pro SP2
> 512 MB Ram
> Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
> something)
>

> when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
> and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
> vertical lines on the screen...
>
> So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
> before the boot up and nothing more.
>
> I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
> or del or any other button
>
> What should I do?
>
> Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
> keyboard doesn't work that time.
>
> Please help me if you know what's going on here...

You can try some of the standard troubleshooting. Disconnect or remove
any drives/memory/video card/modem/ etc one at a time and see if the
computer goes any farther toward booting. Even with no video card you
should be able to hear it going through post if it's trying boot up.

Steven

Reminds me of the old days when pc hardware just died on me and no matter
what I did was unable to repair.

But im guessing there is some component on the graphics cards that has died
or maybe on the mainbord its self. so there is nothing that can be done
unless you have wads of cash or have some kind of warranty cover on it.

Only thing I can think of doing right now is attempting to power it up on
minimal components or trying some other hardware in the pc you know works in
a attempt to eliminate what part may be faulty.

Steve

"rAgAv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> computer configuration:-
>
> Win XP pro SP2
> 512 MB Ram
> Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
> something)
>

> when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
> and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
> vertical lines on the screen...
>
> So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
> before the boot up and nothing more.
>
> I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
> or del or any other button
>
> What should I do?
>
> Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
> keyboard doesn't work that time.
>
> Please help me if you know what's going on here...
>
> Regards.

Buffalo

"rAgAv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> computer configuration:-
>
> Win XP pro SP2
> 512 MB Ram
> Intel desktop board (I don't know the number may be D110 GC or
> something)
>

> when I start my computer, I see this intel inside logo on the screen
> and nothing more...it just stays there...moreover, I see white
> vertical lines on the screen...
>
> So, its just some random vertical white lines on the intel inside logo
> before the boot up and nothing more.
>
> I can't even get to the set up screen. Nothing happens when I press f8
> or del or any other button
>
> What should I do?
>
> Do you think there might be something wrong with the BIOS? Because the
> keyboard doesn't work that time.
>
> Please help me if you know what's going on here...
>
> Regards.

Unplug and replug in your keyboard or try a different keyboard.
If it is an USB keyboard, try a regular one.
Unplug the machine and let it sit for 1/2 hour.
Try the other things mentioned by others.
Make sure the voltage (115v-230v)selector switch in the back of the power
supply unit is in the correct position (machine should be off when you do
this).

rAgAv

Thanks for all your help!

I followed the steps and removed the components one by one. It was one
of the two 256MB RAMs. I changed the faulty one with a 512MB one. Its
working well now.

Anyway, can somebody tell me why RAMs get ruined after sometime? Is
there something specific that I did that led to its malfunctioning?

Cheers

Rgr

rAgAv wrote:
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> I followed the steps and removed the components one by one. It was one
> of the two 256MB RAMs. I changed the faulty one with a 512MB one. Its
> working well now.
>
> Anyway, can somebody tell me why RAMs get ruined after sometime? Is
> there something specific that I did that led to its malfunctioning?

Yes, you let the smoke out. This is a common technical malfunction.