Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Arachnid Experts (Spiders for the rest of you)

Arachnid Experts (Spiders for the rest of you)

Collector€NZ

Found a nice big (Big for NZ) spider in the garden, it would sit
comfortably on an old style fifty cent with its legs hanging a little
over the side.

Here it is here
http://picasaweb.google.com/collecto...73716512131026

Can anyone with some knowledge Identify it for me?

Collector€NZ

Collector€NZ wrote:
> Found a nice big (Big for NZ) spider in the garden, it would sit
> comfortably on an old style fifty cent with its legs hanging a little
> over the side.
>
> Here it is here
> http://picasaweb.google.com/collecto...73716512131026
>
> Can anyone with some knowledge Identify it for me?

Opps wrong target group

Nik Coughlin

"Collector€NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47b9104c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Found a nice big (Big for NZ) spider in the garden, it would sit
> comfortably on an old style fifty cent with its legs hanging a little over
> the side.
>
> Here it is here
> http://picasaweb.google.com/collecto...73716512131026
>
> Can anyone with some knowledge Identify it for me?

Looks a bit like one of these:
http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/534.htm

Disclaimer: IANAA

Collector€NZ

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> "Collector€NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:47b9104c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Found a nice big (Big for NZ) spider in the garden, it would sit
>> comfortably on an old style fifty cent with its legs hanging a little
>> over the side.
>>
>> Here it is here
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/collecto...73716512131026
>>

>> Can anyone with some knowledge Identify it for me?

> Looks a bit like one of these:
> http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/534.htm
>
> Disclaimer: IANAA

Actually found it, have captioned it and added a few more of my animal
images up there

Jerry

Collector€NZ wrote:
> Collector€NZ wrote:
>> Found a nice big (Big for NZ) spider in the garden, it would sit
>> comfortably on an old style fifty cent with its legs hanging a little
>> over the side.
>>
>> Here it is here
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/collecto...73716512131026
>>

>> Can anyone with some knowledge Identify it for me?

> Opps wrong target group

That's OK, is it running Windows, Linix or OSX?

Collector€NZ

Jerry wrote:
> Collector€NZ wrote:
>> Collector€NZ wrote:
>>> Found a nice big (Big for NZ) spider in the garden, it would sit
>>> comfortably on an old style fifty cent with its legs hanging a little
>>> over the side.
>>>
>>> Here it is here
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/collecto...73716512131026
>>>

>>> Can anyone with some knowledge Identify it for me?

>> Opps wrong target group

> That's OK, is it running Windows, Linix or OSX?

Actually its a new OS from Google

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Collector€NZ" typed:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> "Collector€NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:47b9104c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Found a nice big (Big for NZ) spider in the garden, it would sit
>>> comfortably on an old style fifty cent with its legs hanging a
>>> little over the side.
>>>
>>> Here it is here
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/collecto...73716512131026
>>>

>>> Can anyone with some knowledge Identify it for me?

>> Looks a bit like one of these:
>> http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/534.htm
>>
>> Disclaimer: IANAA

> Actually found it, have captioned it and added a few more of my animal
> images up there

Can you find this one? I discovered it on my tomato plants a couple weks
ago.

http://community.webshots.com/album/562539939STXSUd

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Mark Robinson

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Collector�NZ" typed:
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>> "Collector�NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:47b9104c$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Looks a bit like one of these:
>>> http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/534.htm
>>>
>>> Disclaimer: IANAA

>> Actually found it, have captioned it and added a few more of my animal
>> images up there

> Can you find this one? I discovered it on my tomato plants a couple weks
> ago.
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/562539939STXSUd

Cool, never knew about those before.

A pseudoscorpion had me out of my bed very quickly a while back.

Weird for a spider.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark Robinson" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Collector?NZ" typed:

>>> Actually found it, have captioned it and added a few more of my
>>> animal images up there

>> Can you find this one? I discovered it on my tomato plants a couple
>> weeks ago.
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/album/562539939STXSUd

> Cool, never knew about those before.

Me either.

> A pseudoscorpion had me out of my bed very quickly a while back.
>
> Weird for a spider.

I've only ever seen a tiny one of those in NZ. I've added a pic of it (and a
couple other spiders) to that album I created:

http://community.webshots.com/album/562539939STXSUd

How big was the pseudoscorpion that you saw? I take it that it was in NZ?
The one in my pic is only a couple mm long. It's on a 2l milk container if
that gives any indication of scale.

I recently bought an end-of-line Canon A460 as it does better macro than my
old (but still good) A70. I find that a lot of my pics are of small things
so wanted better macro capability. The A70 would focus down to about 3cm.
The A460 will go to 1cm. Also 3.2 MP and 5.0 MP respectively.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Mark Robinson

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark Robinson" typed:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Collector?NZ" typed:

>>> Can you find this one? I discovered it on my tomato plants a couple
>>> weeks ago.
>>>
>>> http://community.webshots.com/album/562539939STXSUd

>> Cool, never knew about those before.

> Me either.
>
>> A pseudoscorpion had me out of my bed very quickly a while back.
>>
>> Weird for a spider.

> I've only ever seen a tiny one of those in NZ. I've added a pic of it (and a
> couple other spiders) to that album I created:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/562539939STXSUd
>
> How big was the pseudoscorpion that you saw? I take it that it was in NZ?
> The one in my pic is only a couple mm long. It's on a 2l milk container if
> that gives any indication of scale.
>
> I recently bought an end-of-line Canon A460 as it does better macro than my
> old (but still good) A70. I find that a lot of my pics are of small things
> so wanted better macro capability. The A70 would focus down to about 3cm.
> The A460 will go to 1cm. Also 3.2 MP and 5.0 MP respectively.

It was in Kapiti and similarly small.

Lacking a camera with any macro capability I scanned the poor sod.

http://zl2tod.net/~mark/pseudoscorpion.html