Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to add EXIF date from file-date

How to add EXIF date from file-date

Lars-Erik Østerud

I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605

l v

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
> But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.
>
> Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
> year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.
>
> I have the original date in the files "date modified",
> but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
> from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite
>
> Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
> for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

What operating system?

--

Len

Matt Ion

l v wrote:
> Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
>> I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
>> But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.
>>
>> Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
>> year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.
>>
>> I have the original date in the files "date modified",
>> but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
>> from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite
>>
>> Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
>> for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

> What operating system?

I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
(l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

John Navas

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:26:18 -0800, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <fpb4u1$1cg$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>l v wrote:
>> Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
>>> I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
>>> But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.
>>>
>>> Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
>>> year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.
>>>
>>> I have the original date in the files "date modified",
>>> but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
>>> from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite
>>>
>>> Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
>>> for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

>> What operating system?

>I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
>intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
>(l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
>it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

It's a matter of market share, not intelligence.
Insulting Windows users does you no credit.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

H.S.

John Navas wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:26:18 -0800, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in <fpb4u1$1cg$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> l v wrote:

>>> What operating system?

>> I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
>> intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
>> (l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
>> it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

> It's a matter of market share, not intelligence.
> Insulting Windows users does you no credit.

Rephrased:
Non-windows users are more aware of what they are dealing with and tend
to provide relevant information when asking questions here. Most Windows
users, however, take it for guaranteed that everyone else is using
Windows too. They are as likely to be completely ignorant of any other
kinds of OSes as well.

Matt Ion

John Navas wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:26:18 -0800, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in <fpb4u1$1cg$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> l v wrote:

>>> What operating system?

>> I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
>> intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
>> (l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
>> it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

> It's a matter of market share, not intelligence.

Why can't it be both?

I'll say it again: Your typical Windows (l)user doesn't understand that
not all computers run on Windows.

> Insulting Windows users does you no credit.

Good thing I'm not looking for credit.

cmyk

Hi Lars,

A Web search for 'Edit EXIF' will turn up many EXIF editors, at least some of which claim to allow you to edit the date. For
example:
Quick EXIF Editor http://www.photo-freeware.net/quick-exif-editor.php
Exifer for Windows http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
Some are freeware; others you pay for. Some even give you a choice of OS.

Cheers
--
cmyk

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
> But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.
>
> Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
> year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.
>
> I have the original date in the files "date modified",
> but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
> from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite
>
> Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
> for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605

Floyd L. Davidson

Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:
>I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
>But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.
>
>Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
>year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.
>
>I have the original date in the files "date modified",
>but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
>from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite
>
>Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
>for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

Regardless of you OS, download exiftool by Phil Harvey
(and install Perl if you don't have it).

Of course writing a batch file or shell script to
interate over your entire collection, and automating the
correct date selection, is a programming task.

nospam

In article <fpb4u1$1cg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Matt Ion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> l v wrote:
> > Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> >> I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
> >> But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.
> >>
> >> Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
> >> year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.
> >>
> >> I have the original date in the files "date modified",
> >> but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
> >> from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite
> >>
> >> Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
> >> for several >1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

> > What operating system?

> I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
> intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
> (l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
> it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

that's very likely, but fortunately the best tool for the job,
exiftool, runs on mac/win/unix, so it really doesn't matter what
operating system he uses. also, i think one of the examples in the
help will write the file modification date to the exif date.

<http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

H.S.

nospam wrote:

> that's very likely, but fortunately the best tool for the job,
> exiftool, runs on mac/win/unix, so it really doesn't matter what
> operating system he uses. also, i think one of the examples in the
> help will write the file modification date to the exif date.
>
> <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

Interesting. Would you know if this tool works in a batch mode in
Windows? In Linux, I can type up bash commands in a few minutes to do
this job automatically for any number of files. But if the tool doesn't
work in batch mode in Windows, the user is going to take ages to do this
one by one for his thousands of pictures!

->HS