Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Transfer License from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Transfer License from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Joseph Ezell

I have a PC running Windows XP 32-bit. Separately, I have a 6-month
evaluation version of Windows XP x64 waiting to be installed on a new 64-bit
computer. I know the license key from the 32-bit version cannot be used on
the 64-bit version.

Is there a way (with Microsoft's permission) to deactivate the license from
my old 32-bit version and transfer it to the newer 64-bit version without
having to purchase a new license? If so, whom do I contact to make this
happen?

Thank you.

Joe

Colin Barnhorst

No. There was a program right after XP Pro x64 first released but it
expired a couple of years ago.

"Joseph Ezell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I have a PC running Windows XP 32-bit. Separately, I have a 6-month
> evaluation version of Windows XP x64 waiting to be installed on a new
> 64-bit
> computer. I know the license key from the 32-bit version cannot be used
> on
> the 64-bit version.
>
> Is there a way (with Microsoft's permission) to deactivate the license
> from
> my old 32-bit version and transfer it to the newer 64-bit version without
> having to purchase a new license? If so, whom do I contact to make this
> happen?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Joe

Charlie Russel - MVP

Unfortunately, no. The licenses are for different products and you can't
transfer between them. This changes with Windows Vista, where _retail_
versions of Windows Vista are for both architectures. With Vista Ultimate,
you even get both DVDs in the box. With other versions, you need to order
the DVD for the architecture you don't have.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Joseph Ezell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I have a PC running Windows XP 32-bit. Separately, I have a 6-month
> evaluation version of Windows XP x64 waiting to be installed on a new
> 64-bit
> computer. I know the license key from the 32-bit version cannot be used
> on
> the 64-bit version.
>
> Is there a way (with Microsoft's permission) to deactivate the license
> from
> my old 32-bit version and transfer it to the newer 64-bit version without
> having to purchase a new license? If so, whom do I contact to make this
> happen?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Joe

Colin Barnhorst

There never having been a retail edition of XP Pro x64 probably didn't help.
Even with that, XP x86 and XP x64 are, as you say, different products in a
way that they are not with Vista.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unfortunately, no. The licenses are for different products and you can't
> transfer between them. This changes with Windows Vista, where _retail_
> versions of Windows Vista are for both architectures. With Vista Ultimate,
> you even get both DVDs in the box. With other versions, you need to order
> the DVD for the architecture you don't have.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Joseph Ezell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I have a PC running Windows XP 32-bit. Separately, I have a 6-month
>> evaluation version of Windows XP x64 waiting to be installed on a new
>> 64-bit
>> computer. I know the license key from the 32-bit version cannot be used
>> on
>> the 64-bit version.
>>
>> Is there a way (with Microsoft's permission) to deactivate the license
>> from
>> my old 32-bit version and transfer it to the newer 64-bit version without
>> having to purchase a new license? If so, whom do I contact to make this
>> happen?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Joe

Joseph Ezell

Thanks for the input guys.

Overall, it's not a big deal ... Just trying to cut corners where I can. I
see where NewEgg has XP Pro x64 for $139.99. I already have the evaluation
version burned to disk. Any idea where I can buy just the license? And,
will it cost less?

Joe

Colin Barnhorst

All the money is in the license anyway, except for a few bucks for the
packaging. Just buy the media kit from NewEgg for the $140. Get the COA
and all.

"Joseph Ezell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thanks for the input guys.
>
> Overall, it's not a big deal ... Just trying to cut corners where I can.
> see where NewEgg has XP Pro x64 for $139.99. I already have the
> evaluation
> version burned to disk. Any idea where I can buy just the license? And,
> will it cost less?
>
> Joe

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
there is the "ebay - way": sell old - buy new
jk

Joe Ezell

Colin,

That supports what I was thinking. Again, thanks for your input.

Joe

--
Thank you,

Joe
Little Rock, Arkansas

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> All the money is in the license anyway, except for a few bucks for the
> packaging. Just buy the media kit from NewEgg for the $140. Get the COA
> and all.
>
> "Joseph Ezell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Thanks for the input guys.
> >
> > Overall, it's not a big deal ... Just trying to cut corners where I can.
> > see where NewEgg has XP Pro x64 for $139.99. I already have the
> > evaluation
> > version burned to disk. Any idea where I can buy just the license? And,
> > will it cost less?
> >
> > Joe

Joe Ezell

True ... There's always that!

--
Thank you,

Joe
Little Rock, Arkansas

"Juergen Kluth" wrote:

> Hi,
> there is the "ebay - way": sell old - buy new
> jk

Theo

Just buying the license would not be of any benefit. The
Trial media will not accept an OEM key, so you need the OEM
media to "upgrade" from the Trial to a regular OEM installation.