Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64 bit?

Vista 64 bit?

Zachary Gudmundsson

I was wondering what Vista 32 bit does with all of the extra memory that it
is'nt to use. And what is the Max again?

Zachary

Colin Barnhorst

Memory limits:

Vista x86 is 4GB (all editions except Starter, which is 1GB).

Vista x86 installed on a computer with more than 4GB will still only use
4GB.

Vista x64 Home Basic is 8GB. Vista x64 Home Premium is 16GB. Vista x64
Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate are 128GB.

"Zachary Gudmundsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering what Vista 32 bit does with all of the extra memory that it
>is'nt to use. And what is the Max again?
>
> Zachary

John Barnes

Any memory out of address range just sits there.

"Zachary Gudmundsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering what Vista 32 bit does with all of the extra memory that it
>is'nt to use. And what is the Max again?
>
> Zachary

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Colin
Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Vista x86 installed on a computer with more than 4GB will still only use
>4GB.

Colin... You well know that no computer on the market will allow Vista
x86 to access all 4GB of memory -- As a result, your advice is somewhere
between misleading and actually deceptive.

Colin Barnhorst

What advice? It is straight out of Microsoft's documentation.

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Colin
> Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Vista x86 installed on a computer with more than 4GB will still only use
>>4GB.

> Colin... You well know that no computer on the market will allow Vista
> x86 to access all 4GB of memory -- As a result, your advice is somewhere
> between misleading and actually deceptive.

Colin Barnhorst

Don't confuse the amount of memory available for user programs with the
memory limit of 32bit operating systems. The memory limit for 32bit Windows
is 4GB.

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Colin
> Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Vista x86 installed on a computer with more than 4GB will still only use
>>4GB.

> Colin... You well know that no computer on the market will allow Vista
> x86 to access all 4GB of memory -- As a result, your advice is somewhere
> between misleading and actually deceptive.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I suspect he's referring to the hole that various hardware devices create
above 3GB. In that sense, it's true that even the OS can't access that
memory in Vista. (Though some Server OSs could get at that with /PAE, I
think.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't confuse the amount of memory available for user programs with the
> memory limit of 32bit operating systems. The memory limit for 32bit
> Windows is 4GB.
>
> "DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Colin
>> Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Vista x86 installed on a computer with more than 4GB will still only use
>>>4GB.

>> Colin... You well know that no computer on the market will allow Vista
>> x86 to access all 4GB of memory -- As a result, your advice is somewhere
>> between misleading and actually deceptive.

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Colin
Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don't confuse the amount of memory available for user programs with the
>memory limit of 32bit operating systems. The memory limit for 32bit Windows
>is 4GB.

I'm not confusing user program memory space limits at all -- Due to the
x86 architecture and the address space requirements by many peripherals
(especially video cards), Vista cannot access all 4GB in any fashion,
and on most systems somewhere between 400MB and 1.5GB of address is
unavailable to be used by actual memory.