Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > layers

layers

frank

s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
example of layers in use. any suggestions?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

frank wrote:

> s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
> example of layers in use. any suggestions?

"Layers" is an antiquated term used first, I believe, by ancient
versions of Netscape. Somewhere way back in the Dark Ages. If your
instructor is using that term, please advise hir to kindly move forward.
Or get a refund from the course.

You probably want to learn about "<div>".

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Harlan Messinger

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> frank wrote:
>
>> s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
>> example of layers in use. any suggestions?

> "Layers" is an antiquated term used first, I believe, by ancient
> versions of Netscape. Somewhere way back in the Dark Ages. If your
> instructor is using that term, please advise hir to kindly move forward.
> Or get a refund from the course.
>
> You probably want to learn about "<div>".

And CSS positioning.

cwdjrxyz

On Feb 17, 12:22 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> frank wrote:
> > s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
> > example of layers in use. any suggestions?

> "Layers" is an antiquated term used first, I believe, by ancient
> versions of Netscape. Somewhere way back in the Dark Ages. If your
> instructor is using that term, please advise hir to kindly move forward.
> Or get a refund from the course.
>
> You probably want to learn about "<div>".

It is very difficult to find "layers" code anymore. You can still find
it on some of the dhtml sites with code that has not been updated in a
very long time. So far as I know, Netscape, which developed layers
code, quit supporting it after 4 versions of their browser, and so far
as I know, no recent browser supports layers. Back in the days of
Netscape 4 and IE 4, much dhtml code used browser detection and took a
layers path if Netscape was detected and a document.all path if IE was
detected. Of course browser detection no longer is reliable for modern
browsers. Shortly after Netscape came out with their 6 version
browser, much dhtml code had 3 paths, the 2 mentioned before and the
modern w3c. document.getElementByID path that soon started to be used.
Netscape used only this path from their version 6 on browsers. Soon IE
also supported it, and I believe still support, their old unofficial
document.all.
See http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/light.htm for an
example of dhtml code that still has layers in it, although it is not
mentioned that it still supports Netscape 4 in the description. This
code has been updated to support newer browsers over the years. This
type of dhtml effect is not very popular anymore, and seeing it on a
commercial web page is likely to make many here turn red in the face,
have an increase in blood pressure, and reply in language not suited
for children .

Jonathan N. Little

frank wrote:
> s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
> example of layers in use. any suggestions?

Reserved for cakes not web pages.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Travis Newbury

On Feb 17, 1:22 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> frank wrote:
> > s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
> > example of layers in use. any suggestions?

> "Layers" is an antiquated term used first, I believe, by ancient
> versions of Netscape. Somewhere way back in the Dark Ages. If your
> instructor is using that term, please advise hir to kindly move forward.
> Or get a refund from the course.
>
> You probably want to learn about "<div>".
>
> --
> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

bts? bind/torture/strangle?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:05:23 GMT
frank scribed:

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/chickens.htm

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Bergamot

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> frank wrote:
>
>> s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
>> example of layers in use. any suggestions?

> "Layers" is an antiquated term

but perpetuated by Dreamweaver.

I believe it uses that term for any absolutely positioned div. Evil
things they are, too, at least in the wrong hands.

--
Berg

Jeff

Bergamot wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> frank wrote:
>>
>>> s a class assignment am looking for a site that would serve as a good
>>> example of layers in use. any suggestions?

>> "Layers" is an antiquated term

> but perpetuated by Dreamweaver.
>
> I believe it uses that term for any absolutely positioned div. Evil
> things they are, too, at least in the wrong hands.

Which brings up that there must be some good uses also. The most
common I can think of would be for javascript "flyout" navigation which
is fairly ubiquitous (and not bad if there is a non js alternative). But
I think the OPs teacher means "layering" everything. Pretty much once
you start, you can't stop. I can't think of a mainstream site that does
that, after all, if you want such "control" you would use Flash.

Jeff

Andy Dingley

On 18 Feb, 05:38, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> but perpetuated by Dreamweaver.
>
> I believe it uses that term for any absolutely positioned div. Evil
> things they are, too, at least in the wrong hands.

So would you go so far as to say not only that "Layers is an obsolete
term", but even that "a good
example of layers in use" is an a priori impossibility? (Asssuming
that we regard any and all teaching of absolute positioning in initial
web design classes to be a bad thing).