Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java web start icon

Java web start icon

Roedy Green

I am going to get an icon professionally prepared to represent Java
Web Start. You could use it to mark JAWS apps on your web pages, or
to mark JNLP files. It will come as a multi-resolution ico file and
as a set of pngs. I will release it to the public.

What should it look like?

Sun should have done this, but they haven't so I would like to do it.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Roedy Green

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:34:11 GMT, Roedy Green
someone who said :

>What should it look like?

there is the JAWS theme, shark, dinosaur, alligator, but these imply
something harmful.

Java could be represented by the coffee cup, or the coffee bean or the
coffee leaf or tree.

Web could be represented by a web, an electric spark, interconnecting
arrows.

start could be represented by a boat launch, a checkered flag, a
rocket

My best idea so far is a waving black and white checkered flag with
the pole at a 112 degree angle with the flag flowing to the right,
with a coffee bean on the center of the flag.

Others in the set could include jar, jar.exe ( bean in jar)

jarsigner, signed jar (bean on fountain pen, like an exaggerated clip
decoration)

class file , javac.exe ( espresso cup with bean on side )
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Rexx Magnus

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:37:23 -0000, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:34:11 GMT, Roedy Green
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>> What should it look like?

> there is the JAWS theme, shark, dinosaur, alligator, but these imply
> something harmful.
>
> Java could be represented by the coffee cup, or the coffee bean or the
> coffee leaf or tree.
>
> Web could be represented by a web, an electric spark, interconnecting
> arrows.

A shark coming out of a coffee cup, on a web-shaped saucer?

Roedy Green

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:04 -0000, "Rexx Magnus" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>A shark coming out of a coffee cup, on a web-shaped saucer?

when the icon shrinks to 16x16 you want it still to have meaning, so
you don't want to got too crazy adding individual elements. Some
detail can be lost but not the general picture. By having the shark a
different colour it still could be clear what it happening.

I would hope the icon would appeal to the inner child, to induce
people to push it just out of fun. Your idea fits that criterion.

--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Lew

Roedy Green wrote:
> You could use it to mark JAWS apps on your web pages,

I assume you mean JWS, in that JAWS(r) is a registered trademark for a
non-Java software product that assists visually-impaired computer users.
<http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/software_jaws.asp>

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:11:05 -0500, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>I assume you mean JWS, in that JAWS(r) is a registered trademark for a
>non-Java software product that assists visually-impaired computer users.
><http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/software_jaws.asp>

Hmm. I guess I had better drop the teeth idea.
--

someone who said :

>I am going to get an icon professionally prepared to represent Java
>Web Start. You could use it to mark JAWS apps on your web pages, or
>to mark JNLP files. It will come as a multi-resolution ico file and
>as a set of pngs. I will release it to the public.

Here are some ideas I received:

bean on a spring

coffee bean jack in the box

bean on a pogo stick

sprinter poised to start a race with java bean head.

Coffee cup or bean in slingshot
--

Roedy Green wrote:
> Coffee cup or bean in slingshot

How about a bean in a sling that looks like a spider web?

--

someone who said :

>What should it look like?

another idea a flying or winged coffee cup
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 18, 12:11*am, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Roedy Green wrote:
> > You could use it to mark JAWS apps on your web pages,

> I assume you mean JWS, in that JAWS(r) is a registered trademark for a
> non-Java software product that assists visually-impaired computer users.

JAWS* (or JaWS) was also used by Sun for a long
time to represent JWS. Their documentation is
littered with examples.

I always hated it, mostly because of those horrid
movies that turned a noble hunter into some kind
of 'horror movie/circus freak'.

<http://www.google.com.au/search?as_q=jaws&as_sitesearch=java.sun.com>

As far as a 'JWS Icon' goes, I cannot quite see
the point. If I am going to apply a desktop
icon to represent an app., it's an icon to
represent the app., not the launcher. I
would prefer JWS to be as invisible as practical,
to the end user. Same deal with splash screens.

--
Andrew T.
PhySci.org