Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > VFX VoIP router and network config?

VFX VoIP router and network config?

Gordy

Hi,

I am waiting for my Fusion application to be processed.

In the mean time I have set up my hardware to access the internet and
port forwarding to some servers on my home network.
Internet access and server access is all working.

I am wondering if the VoIP is going to work ok.
Anyone confirm if this setup below will work or if I have to
reconfigure in some way?

The setup:

Xnet Internet
Dynamic IP with DynDNS domain.
Dynalink RTA1320 router configured with port forwarding to my .1.x
subnet
LAN IP 192.168.1.9
(the .9 is for historic reasons)

Next:
VoIP router LinkSys SPA2102-AU.
Configured in Bridge mode.
Phone network to be attached to the SPA2102.
Bought showing VFX on package.
No other config mods.

Next:
8 port switch

Next:
Various computers.
Various IP cameras.
A wireless network.
All on subnet 192.168.1.x
Masks 255.255.255.0
Gateways set to 192.168.1.9

Any help would most appreciated.

Cheers

Gordy

Tony

> Next:
> VoIP router LinkSys SPA2102-AU.
> Configured in Bridge mode.
> Phone network to be attached to the SPA2102.
> Bought showing VFX on package.
> No other config mods.
>
> Next:
> 8 port switch
>
> Next:
> Various computers.
> Various IP cameras.
> A wireless network.
> All on subnet 192.168.1.x
> Masks 255.255.255.0
> Gateways set to 192.168.1.9
>
> Any help would most appreciated.
>
> Cheers

You need to port forward ports 5060 and 5061 UDP to the SPA2102, this is
for the incoming phone calls (or just 5060 for one line). The config for
the voice will already be on the SPA2102 so all you need to do is let
WorldxChange know the mac address of it and you are off and running.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:

> ... all you need to do is let WorldxChange know the [MAC] address ...

Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

Tony

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:
>
>> ... all you need to do is let WorldxChange know the [MAC] address ...

> Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

Thats what they use to identify the voip device. its pretty smart
actually as then there is no login process and the user can connect over
any internet connection. (I actually had one working temporarily over a
t3g data card/xp laptop while waiting for a dsl line to be installed!)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:
>>
>>> ... all you need to do is let WorldxChange know the [MAC] address ...

>> Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

Tony

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:

>>> Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

>> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

well, you need the mac address first.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <newscache$fdqiwj$cgg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

>> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

> well, you need the mac address first.

They follow a series, so they're not exactly hard to guess.

Squiggle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <newscache$fdqiwj$cgg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:

>>> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

>> well, you need the mac address first.

> They follow a series, so they're not exactly hard to guess.

Wouldn't be so sure on that one, i've been working with a ton
(literally)) of D-Link routers and sequential serial numbers have very
different MAC addresses.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony did write:

>>> Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

>> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

It is a little harder to change them on an ATA then a network card since
they are in an eeprom in an encoded way. There are people working at it
since the eeprom needs to be rebuilt inorder to remove service provider
locks on it.

If you have phyiscal access to the ATA then they can be cloned, thats a
popular way of unlocking ones that are provisioned on vonage and why
when you buy 3 of them they all have the same mac address making them
useless on the same lan.

The provisioning files are also encoded in a way that means they need to
be decoded by the ata before the authentication details are available,
thats another obstical in the way of getting the password, and there is
the option for dynamic authentication details so that if they are taken
once they are no good once the ata re-provisions itself.

So its not as stupid as mac authentication on a lan, but it does have
its vunrubilities.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1203491528.993832@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

>> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

> It is a little harder to change them on an ATA then a network card ...

Who says you have to do the spoofing on the original device?