Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Need help with 64 bit

Need help with 64 bit

Jake Malone - MVP/MUT

I'm extremely unhappy with 64 bit Not much works.

I can't compile very much of anything, third party apps are pretty much
a total write off.
I can't install Nero, my very expensive scanner does NOT work under
64bit, Macromedia stuff does NOT work (9 out of 10 websites I visit I
get redirected to the Macromedia website and yes, I've downloaded and
installed it, it works in firefox)
EVERY stinking time I start firefox it tells me it can't start because
the profile is already in use then when I try to make a new one it says
I don't have permission to do so..

There's plenty more but I'll not waste the time on it all..

I want to go back down to 32 bit.
I have the factory DVD that I purchased that has 32 and 64 bit versions
on it.
How can I reload the system with the 32bit system??

Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, let's see. Nero works, ever since 6.5 or so. Flash works in the
default IE, which is 32-bit. You're right, it doesn't in the 64-bit version
of IE, which some of us view as a good thing. I don't use firefox so I can't
comment. And you're right. Scanner support stinks. For some reason the
scanner manufacturers have been extremely slow to provide decent drivers.

To switch to 32-bit, boot off the 32-bit DVD and do a fresh install. If you
have a retail copy of Vista, then you can use the same key you used for
64-bit. You will, of course, need to do a clean, new install - there is no
direct upgrade between architectures.
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Jake Malone - MVP/MUT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47b76fc0$0$6958$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm extremely unhappy with 64 bit Not much works.
>
> I can't compile very much of anything, third party apps are pretty much a
> total write off.
> I can't install Nero, my very expensive scanner does NOT work under 64bit,
> Macromedia stuff does NOT work (9 out of 10 websites I visit I get
> redirected to the Macromedia website and yes, I've downloaded and
> installed it, it works in firefox)
> EVERY stinking time I start firefox it tells me it can't start because the
> profile is already in use then when I try to make a new one it says I
> don't have permission to do so..
>
> There's plenty more but I'll not waste the time on it all..
>
> I want to go back down to 32 bit.
> I have the factory DVD that I purchased that has 32 and 64 bit versions on
> it.
> How can I reload the system with the 32bit system??
>
> Thanks!

S.SubZero

On Feb 16, 3:20 pm, Jake Malone - MVP/MUT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to go back down to 32 bit.
> I have the factory DVD that I purchased that has 32 and 64 bit versions
> on it.
> How can I reload the system with the 32bit system??
>
> Thanks!

1. The title is "Need help with 64 bit" but it's obvious this is not
what you actually want. You ranted and ranted about how 64-bit sucks,
then asked how to go back to 32-bit.

2. What Windows OS comes from the factory with both 32-bit and 64-bit
on the exact same DVD?

3. You re-do the OS partition with the OS of your choice.