Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Impossible to create working hard disk image of Video-DVD?

Impossible to create working hard disk image of Video-DVD?

Charles Self

When I image a Video-DVD 1:1 to hard disk I find that the menus don't
work anymore, that I can't switch between languages and subtitles
etc. I can start the individual clips but the links between them seem
to be lost.
Am I right in assuming that the reason for this is that the Video-DVD
format refers to files not logically but by their exact sectors?

Supplementary question: is there a program which can create a full,
1:1 image of a DVD that presevers all the links? (NB I'm aware of the
many DVD ripper-shrinker programs, I'm looking for a software that can
create a full working image which I can mount with an optical media
emulator as a virtual drive).

I'm curious, please enwisdom me!

RL

Charles Self wrote:
> Supplementary question: is there a program which can create a full,
> 1:1 image of a DVD that presevers all the links? (NB I'm aware of the
> many DVD ripper-shrinker programs, I'm looking for a software that can
> create a full working image which I can mount with an optical media
> emulator as a virtual drive).

Any software capable of creating an ISO images will do. ImgBurn, dd,
WinImage, and countless other programmes can do this. In fact, I've done
this with a two-line C programme myself.

If you want to shrink or remove copy protection on the other hand, then
I cannot assist.

RL

Gilgamesh

"Charles Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I image a Video-DVD 1:1 to hard disk I find that the menus don't
> work anymore, that I can't switch between languages and subtitles
> etc. I can start the individual clips but the links between them seem
> to be lost.
> Am I right in assuming that the reason for this is that the Video-DVD
> format refers to files not logically but by their exact sectors?

No I don't think you are right
I have many ISO DVD images that when I burn them to a disk they work fine,
but when I load them onto a virtual drive I have exactly the same issue you
do. I would suggest it is a virtual drive problem.

On 16 Feb., 09:51, "Gilgamesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No I don't think you are right
> I have many ISO DVD images that when I burn them to a disk they work fine,
> but when I load them onto a virtual drive I have exactly the same issue you
> do. I would suggest it is a virtual drive problem.

Hm, peculiar ... thanks for describing your experiences.

Charles Self

On 16 Feb., 09:51, "Gilgamesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No I don't think you are right
> I have many ISO DVD images that when I burn them to a disk they work fine,
> but when I load them onto a virtual drive I have exactly the same issue you
> do. I would suggest it is a virtual drive problem.

In my case it also seems to be a problem with my video player, VLC,
which doesn't "do" the menues. The same DVD plays OK, with working
menues, in my stanalone player.