Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why Vista keep forgetting password shared network? remember checkedoff.

Why Vista keep forgetting password shared network? remember checkedoff.

lbbss

My wife and I share files files on through our router. So it asked
you for user name and password, but it gives you an option of remember
password. but the problem it does not remember the next time i boot
my system. any idea?

Mr. Arnold

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife and I share files files on through our router. So it asked
> you for user name and password, but it gives you an option of remember
> password. but the problem it does not remember the next time i boot
> my system. any idea?

You put your account/with password on your wife's machine, your account and
password that you use to login to your machine. Your wife does the same
thing to your machine with here user-id and password. You set the *password
never expires* for both accounts. You do that, and you won't even see the
logon screen, when one of you tries to access the other's file share.

Mr. Arnold

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife and I share files files on through our router. So it asked
> you for user name and password, but it gives you an option of remember
> password. but the problem it does not remember the next time i boot
> my system. any idea?

Also take note on the Authenticated User group on a share, which means you
remove all other accounts off the share and only use the Authenticated User
group. It talks about it in the File Share section of the article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301281

And why you should do it in this article.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...581/23581.html

And if you follow the advise on putting your user account on your wife's
machine and she does the same on your machine, then those accounts will be
viewed as Authenticated users, since the O/S can authenticate agents the
accounts on the machine.

lbbss

where do you check off password never expires? Right now I use win
explorer and click on folder to share, and pick share. Then under
share tab, click on share this folder. So on the other computer,
use explorer and select network places, where I find my wifes computer
name. And here I type in a user name and password.

Mr. Arnold

"lbbss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> where do you check off password never expires? Right now I use win
> explorer and click on folder to share, and pick share. Then under
> share tab, click on share this folder. So on the other computer,
> use explorer and select network places, where I find my wifes computer
> name. And here I type in a user name and password.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+set+password+never+expires+o n+Vista&btnG=Google+Search>

You go to you wife's machine and set the password for her account on her
machine to *password never expires*. I don't no if your wife's machine is
using Vista or not. If it's not, then use Google based on her Windows O/S
version and set it. And you do the same for the Vista if you're using Vista
for your account.

Again, if you create/set-up your wife's user-id and password on your
computer, the same user-id and password that she uses to logon to her
computer, you go to her machine and you create/setup your user-id and
password, the same user-id and password you use to login to your machine,
then when you access each other's machine, the user-id and password will
NEVER be asked for when each of you accesses the other's machine, because
you have the necessary accounts setup/created on both machines for the
O/S(s) being used on both machines to NEVER ask for the user-id and
password.

You would set the accounts up on both machines, set the password for the new
accounts to *never expires* for the new accounts and for the existing
accounts that you have created for yourselves on both of your computers. All
accounts that I am talking to you about will have the same user-id's and
passwords with the password set for all accounts to *never expires*, which
must be done through Admin's User Account Administration.

I hope you understand what you have to do in order for you to set-up both
computers, so that user-id and password is NEVER asked when you both try to
access the other's computer when using the file share on both machines.

Basically, you have each other's user-id and password set-up on both
machines so they you don't get asked to provide the user-id and password to
logon to the other's machine, as the computers already know what they are.

Don't forget Authenticated User Group of Shares, which is being explained in
this link as well, but it's about XP, but the Authenticated user group is on
Vista along with the Everyone user group and it applies to Vista too.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm