Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > computer re-booting on start up and shutting down and restating

computer re-booting on start up and shutting down and restating

oorak

Greetings,

Recently I had problems with my mouse not working and found that a PS2 mouse
would not work, but a USB one would.

Then I found that the computer was failing, it would shut down, then start
again, then it started cutting out whilst booting, then restarting again,
then shutting down again.

It is painful now as it takes about 8 or 9 attempts to boot up and I always
have to go into setup to do this once it finally stays on.

Thought it could be the PSU but don't think it is, any suggestions please?

Peter

gregg fowler

oorak wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Recently I had problems with my mouse not working and found that a PS2
> mouse would not work, but a USB one would.
>
> Then I found that the computer was failing, it would shut down, then start
> again, then it started cutting out whilst booting, then restarting again,
> then shutting down again.
>
> It is painful now as it takes about 8 or 9 attempts to boot up and I
> always have to go into setup to do this once it finally stays on.
>
> Thought it could be the PSU but don't think it is, any suggestions please?
>
> Peter

Reseat your memory and cards. If you have two memory sticks try and boot
with one, then the other. Sound as if you are getting errors during post. I
would start here.

PeeCee

"oorak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> Recently I had problems with my mouse not working and found that a PS2
> mouse
> would not work, but a USB one would.
>
> Then I found that the computer was failing, it would shut down, then start
> again, then it started cutting out whilst booting, then restarting again,
> then shutting down again.
>
> It is painful now as it takes about 8 or 9 attempts to boot up and I
> always
> have to go into setup to do this once it finally stays on.
>
> Thought it could be the PSU but don't think it is, any suggestions please?
>
> Peter

Peter.

Possibilities.

Software.
Virus's, spyware, trojans etc.
Bad software install/uninstall's
Corrupted files, registry.
Remedies range from killing any nasties to a complete reinstall.

Hardware.
Loose cables, cards and screws
Motherboard dying
Power supply dying
RAM failure.
Hard drive dying.

From my experience if there are no software problems the most likely causes
are hard drive, power supply or motherboard.
Open the case and do a visual looking for blocked fans, loose cards/cables
and objects floating around in the case.
Have a close look for bulging capacitors, then try another known good power
supply.
Download your hard drive makers diagnostic utility and test your hard drive.

Best luck
Paul.

oorak

Thanks Gregg and PeeCee, done all this but nothing obvious, but I have an
engineer coming out to help.

news:fp54c5$ako$(E-Mail Removed)...