Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD death watch

HD-DVD death watch

Dave U.Random

"Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
say..."

Hollywood Reporter: http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

Rowdy J

"Dave U.Random" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
> format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
> say..."
>
> Hollywood Reporter: http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

What took so long? It's been many weeks coming.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Dave U.Random <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
>format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
>say..."
>
>Hollywood Reporter: http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

Walmart just pulled the plug.

numsixof1@gmail.com

Bring on the sales! We've already got plenty of Buy 1 Get 1 free
deals, but I think we can do better.

Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
lets get those blown out at discount prices.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com

Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
> lets get those blown out at discount prices.

Why the urge to buy a dead format - even if it is cheap?

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

mordacpreventor@hotmail.com

On Feb 15, 11:41*am, Dave U.Random <anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
inter.net> wrote:
> "Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
> format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
> say..."
>
> Hollywood Reporter:http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
Sony will have it all to itself.

WooHoo!

Steven

I'll be able to play them for years to come, both on my PC's and the players
have currently will do HDDVD and SD DVD.

I can play Bluray too.

but I will snap up "cheap" HDDVD's of title I would be in a HDM format..

Some of these are only HDDVD at the moment

so I'm looking all over for "cheap" HDHDVD's -- would love to find the
5.99-9.99 bin sales...

Right now due to the cost of the discs and the cost and issues of the
standalone players, I would still rent/buy SD DVD for some of the bluray
only titles.

prices on these need to drop on bluray

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Feb 15, 3:12*pm, Doug Jacobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In alt.games.video.xbox (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
> > lets get those blown out at discount prices.

> Why the urge to buy a dead format - even if it is cheap?

It's not like HD DVDs and players are going to stop working the day
the they're removed from the shelves.

They'll last the lifetime of most owners.

Derek Janssen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Feb 15, 11:41 am, Dave U.Random <anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
> inter.net> wrote:
>
>>"Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
>>format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
>>say..."
>>
>>Hollywood Reporter:http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

> So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
> Sony will have it all to itself.
>
> WooHoo!

Yeah, that evil monopoly....except for Sharp, Samsung, LG, Panasonic and
a half dozen disk developers with the patents.

Derek Janssen (but APART from them...)
(E-Mail Removed)

Derek Janssen

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> In alt.games.video.xbox (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
>>lets get those blown out at discount prices.

> Why the urge to buy a dead format - even if it is cheap?

Well, you'll still get those cool Free Movies! ^_^

Um...maybe:
----
http://www.thedigitalbits.com

And here's something that's perhaps even more telling in terms of what
Toshiba is planning: It seems that the company may have started denying
fulfillment of their "five free disc" offers. Bits reader Greg M., who
has purchased players on both high-def formats, sent us this e-mail this
afternoon:

"I received a letter back from the Toshiba fulfillment house denying my
five free discs. They stated that my invoice was not within the time
period of the offer. My invoice from Amazon.com was dated Dec 9th, 2007,
clearly within the Oct 1, 2007 to Feb 28, 2008 range they gave on their
offer flyer. What is more insidious is the invoice I sent them and they
sent back to me was marked up with a ballpoint pen to cross out the
date. When I called them at 800-405-7520 to try to get some
understanding of why my five free disc offer was rejected... I was
informed that I would have to resubmit it. I told them to go &*%$ *%$ I
do not have time for their petty games."
----

(Okay, *now* it's starting to get believable...

And given that I'm one of those old DiVX-Wars vets who has STILL refused
to buy anything in a Circuit City since 1999, you really gotta ask where
Toshiba's going to be two or three years down the road--
They made sure their name was on this as an All or Nothing battle, and
we know they're not going to get All.)

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)