Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wal*Mart to support Blu-ray exclusively by June 1st, 2008

Wal*Mart to support Blu-ray exclusively by June 1st, 2008

ninphan

The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
that made sense; the future is Blu.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...ion=2008021511

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart
announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-
definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD
formatted discs over the next several months.

Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores
would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray
and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.

"We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
statement.

The alMIGHTY N

On Feb 15, 1:57 pm, ninphan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
> over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
> that made sense; the future is Blu.

Wal-mart's late to the party... reliable sources indicate that Toshiba
will announce the end of HD DVD support in a matter of weeks.

mordacpreventor@hotmail.com

On Feb 15, 10:57*am, ninphan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
> over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
> that made sense; the future is Blu.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...-ray/index.htm...
>
> NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart
> announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-
> definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD
> formatted discs over the next several months.
>
> Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores
> would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray
> and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.
>
> "We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
> toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
> Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
> statement.

So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
Sony will have it all to itself.

WooHoo!

Mark Johnson

> On Feb 15, 10:57 am, ninphan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
>> over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
>> that made sense; the future is Blu.
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...-ray/index.htm...
>>
>> NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart
>> announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-
>> definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD
>> formatted discs over the next several months.
>>
>> Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores
>> would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray
>> and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.
>>
>> "We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
>> toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
>> Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
>> statement.

> So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
> Sony will have it all to itself.
>
> WooHoo!

But you seem to forget, that Hi def DVD's are growing faster than SD
DVD's did.

khee mao

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
>Sony will have it all to itself.
>
>WooHoo!

myopic twit.

Tony

"Mark Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fp58a0$1ihg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Feb 15, 10:57 am, ninphan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
>>> over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
>>> that made sense; the future is Blu.
>>>
>>> http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...-ray/index.htm...
>>>
>>> NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart
>>> announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-
>>> definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD
>>> formatted discs over the next several months.
>>>
>>> Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores
>>> would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray
>>> and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.
>>>
>>> "We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
>>> toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
>>> Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
>>> statement.

>> So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
>> Sony will have it all to itself.
>>
>> WooHoo!

> But you seem to forget, that Hi def DVD's are growing faster than SD DVD's
> did.

He seemed to forget!

FDR

ninphan wrote:
> The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
> over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
> that made sense; the future is Blu.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...ion=2008021511
>
> NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart
> announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-
> definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD
> formatted discs over the next several months.
>
> Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores
> would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray
> and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.
>
> "We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
> toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
> Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
> statement.

So maybe all the fanboys can stop their childish postings now.

Harry

"ninphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
> over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
> that made sense; the future is Blu.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...ion=2008021511
>
> NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart
> announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-
> definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD
> formatted discs over the next several months.
>
> Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores
> would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray
> and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.
>
> "We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
> toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
> Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
> statement.

It's over and starting to get redundant and just annoying.

Looking forward to bitching about Profiles, failed Beta Ray drives, DRM and
over priced movies.
Competition is..was a good thing..people need to get that in their thick
skulls.
My PS3 still sits and does nothing most of the time so what a glorious win..

richardhutnik@gmail.com

On Feb 15, 8:43 pm, "Harry" <usofassho...@america****ya.com> wrote:
> "ninphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > The dominoes continue to fall on a weekly basis since Jeff Bewkes took
> > over the position of CEO of Time Warner and made the only decision
> > that made sense; the future is Blu.

> >http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/tech...-ray/index.htm...

> > NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- National discount retailer Wal-Mart
> > announced Friday that it had decided to only sell Sony's Blu-ray hi-
> > definition movie discs, and will phase out Toshiba's competing HD-DVD
> > formatted discs over the next several months.

> > Wal-Mart said that by June, its 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores
> > would sell only Blu-ray discs and Blu-ray hardware players. Blu-ray
> > and Toshiba's HD-DVD format are not compatible.

> > "We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
> > toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
> > Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
> > statement.

> It's over and starting to get redundant and just annoying.
>
> Looking forward to bitching about Profiles, failed Beta Ray drives, DRM and
> over priced movies.
> Competition is..was a good thing..people need to get that in their thick
> skulls.
> My PS3 still sits and does nothing most of the time so what a glorious win..

Disks have rivals in the form of downloadable movies, movies on
demand, etc... An executive for Sony in a Wired article speculated
that the next Playstation won't even have a disk storage medium for
it. BluRay, once the specs are stable and implemented, is the better
format, even if Sony is backing it.

- Rich

T.B.

"Harry" aka "shaw.net assclown" whined:

>> "We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference
>> toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary
>> Severson, Wal-Mart's Senior Vice President of Home Entertainment in a
>> statement.
>>

> It's over and starting to get redundant and just annoying.

Sez the Shaw.net assclown who spent weeks spamming about "betaray-LOL!

> Looking forward to bitching about Profiles, failed Beta Ray drives, DRM
> and over priced movies.
> Competition is..was a good thing..people need to get that in their thick
> skulls.
> My PS3 still sits and does nothing most of the time so what a glorious
> win..

Sucks to be you. HA!

T.B.