Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) / WCN-UFD and WPA-RADIUS@ WinXP

Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) / WCN-UFD and WPA-RADIUS@ WinXP

Thomas Creutz

Hello List!

I searched a way, to deploy my WLAN settings for XP Clients. After
search this Group i found this thread who defines how we can do a auto
setup the Wireless Settings:

news:(E-Mail Removed)

Now i try to setup with the wizard the WPA-Radius, but it has no option
for it. After searching the web, i found the spec for the Wsetting.wfc file:

For XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Rally/WCN-UFD_XPspec.mspx

For Vista:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._Vistaspec.doc

Now i followed the Definitions and build the follow file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<wirelessProfile
xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004"
xmlnssi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004
WSETTING.xsd">
<config>
<configId>0007089E-3226-48AD-B771-12B3E8537686</configId>
<configAuthorId>0B4E59B8-8317-46B2-B8C2-C46850162E6C</configAuthorId>
<configAuthor>Microsoft Wireless Network Setup Wizard</configAuthor>
</config>
<ssid>RSR</ssid>
<connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
<deviceMode>infrastructure</deviceMode>
<primaryProfile>
<authentication>WPA</authentication>
<encryption>TKIP</encryption>
<networkKey>00000000000000</networkKey>
<keyProvidedAutomatically>1</keyProvidedAutomatically>
<ieee802Dot1xEnabled>1</ieee802Dot1xEnabled>
<eapMethod>PEAP-EAP-TLS</eapMethod>
</primaryProfile>
</wirelessProfile>

But the problem is, that XP+SP2 don't read/interpret the file correctly.
I get only the Error Message:

Es wurden keine Informationen gefunden, die zum Einrichten des Netzwerks
erforderlich sind bzw. die Informationen sind nicht verwendbar. Führen
Sie den Assistenten erneut auf dem ursprünglichen Computer aus.

(Sorry - thats the Original German Error Message - I try to translate)

No Information found, for Setup the Network btw. the information are not
useful. ......

In the Documentation is the XML Schema for this file. I validated this
file against the schema and found no error.

My next try was with the same usb stick and the same files on a Vista
Notebook. Result: All ok: The files created my Wireless Network
Connection (But some tasks are left: Cert, and some check boxes - @ MS:
this stuff should also integrated!!)

My Result: There is no way, to make a silent Wireless Setup with RADUIS
for Users with don't have any know how!

Thomas Creutz

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
To you have a central server run RADIUS?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Thomas Creutz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OFJ5rG%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello List!
>
> I searched a way, to deploy my WLAN settings for XP Clients. After
> search this Group i found this thread who defines how we can do a auto
> setup the Wireless Settings:
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
> Now i try to setup with the wizard the WPA-Radius, but it has no option
> for it. After searching the web, i found the spec for the Wsetting.wfc
> file:
>
> For XP:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Rally/WCN-UFD_XPspec.mspx
>
> For Vista:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._Vistaspec.doc
>

> Now i followed the Definitions and build the follow file:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <wirelessProfile
> xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004"
> xmlnssi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004
> WSETTING.xsd">
> <config>
> <configId>0007089E-3226-48AD-B771-12B3E8537686</configId>
> <configAuthorId>0B4E59B8-8317-46B2-B8C2-C46850162E6C</configAuthorId>
> <configAuthor>Microsoft Wireless Network Setup Wizard</configAuthor>
> </config>
> <ssid>RSR</ssid>
> <connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
> <deviceMode>infrastructure</deviceMode>
> <primaryProfile>
> <authentication>WPA</authentication>
> <encryption>TKIP</encryption>
> <networkKey>00000000000000</networkKey>
> <keyProvidedAutomatically>1</keyProvidedAutomatically>
> <ieee802Dot1xEnabled>1</ieee802Dot1xEnabled>
> <eapMethod>PEAP-EAP-TLS</eapMethod>
> </primaryProfile>
> </wirelessProfile>
>
> But the problem is, that XP+SP2 don't read/interpret the file correctly.
> I get only the Error Message:
>
> Es wurden keine Informationen gefunden, die zum Einrichten des Netzwerks
> erforderlich sind bzw. die Informationen sind nicht verwendbar. Führen
> Sie den Assistenten erneut auf dem ursprünglichen Computer aus.
>
> (Sorry - thats the Original German Error Message - I try to translate)
>
> No Information found, for Setup the Network btw. the information are not
> useful. ......
>
> In the Documentation is the XML Schema for this file. I validated this
> file against the schema and found no error.
>
> My next try was with the same usb stick and the same files on a Vista
> Notebook. Result: All ok: The files created my Wireless Network
> Connection (But some tasks are left: Cert, and some check boxes - @ MS:
> this stuff should also integrated!!)
>
> My Result: There is no way, to make a silent Wireless Setup with RADUIS
> for Users with don't have any know how!
>
> Thomas Creutz

Thomas Creutz

Jack (MVP-Networking). schrieb:
> Hi
> To you have a central server run RADIUS?

yes. i have a ms ias server with ad who runnng radius.

But the problem is, that some users have a own notebook from home and
will connect to the network.

But some user dont have knowlege about windows and cant run setup this
stuff.

So i search a way, to make a Setup for it, that the user can set up the
radius connection over exe/script/some other tool.

But i cant find any solution for it!

Thomas Creutz

ohadhawk ohadhawk is offline
Junior Member

Hi Thomas,

There is a freeware that allows that: AutoIt.
You can download it from: autoitscript.com/autoit3/downloads.shtml

At the following thread I added quick-and-dirty sample of AutoIt scripts (can be compiled to executables) that allow exporting WZC profiles (including EAP) and importing them.
You can manually create a valid profile, export it and then import on all of the other computers.

The thread: autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=91018&st=20&gopid=760331&#entr y760331

ExportXmlProfile.au3 - Autoit profile export script (can be compiled to stand-alone executable)
Usage: ExportXmlProfile <SSID>
Profile will be exported to <SSID>.xml
Code:
#CS
13/08/2009 - Version 3.1b
----------------------NATIVE WIFI FUNCTIONS----------------------
--------------------------For WinXP SP3--------------------------
----------------------------by MattyD----------------------------

This is a quick how to...
Check the help for a comprehensive coverage of functions!

The syntax for these functions is used for back compatablity
It is recomended that newcomers use the V3.1a functions

If you are using 3rd party software to configre your connections
this script will give windows control

The connections section is commented out for sake of annoyance

This script assumes you are connected when running
#CE
#Include "Native_Wifi_Func_V3_1b.au3"
#include <array.au3>

;----------------------------------------------------------------
;Setting up the Session...
;----------------------------------------------------------------
$Interfaces = _Wlan_StartSession() 	;Calls Openhandle, EnumInterfaces and SetGlobalConstants
									;If successful it returns output from EnumInterfaces and sets @extended to the client handle
									;SetGlobalConstants is called with the client handle and the pointer to the guid of the first interface
									;
									;Still confused? (Its not essential unless you wish to control a second wifi card)
									;We can manually set up the session by:
									;
									;$Handle = _Wlan_OpenHandle()
									;$Interfaces = ($Handle)
									;_Wlan_SetGlobalConstants($Handle, $Interfaces[0][0]) (this allows -1 to be subsituted for client handle and guid pointer values in subsequent functions)

;_ArrayDisplay($Interfaces, "Interface Array")	;$Interfaces[Interface][0] - pointer to a GUID struct
												;	Used for multiple wifi cards (lets functions know which adaptor to talk to)
												;$Interfaces[Interface][1] - Adaptor name
												;$Interfaces[Interface][2] - Connection state. Connected, Disconnected or Authenticating - Read next section for more info!

;----------------------------------------------------------------
;Adaptor related functions
;----------------------------------------------------------------
_Wlan_SetInterface(-1, -1, 0, "Auto Config Enabled") ;Auto Config Enabled or Auto Config Disabled - Some 3rd party wifi managers will switch this setting off again if it wants control!
If @error Then ConsoleWrite("_Wlan_SetInterface1: " & $Error)
$QI = _Wlan_QueryInterface(-1, -1, 0) ;The "use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox - Needs to be enabled for many funtions to work
ConsoleWrite("Query Interface 0: " & $QI & @CRLF)
If @error Then ConsoleWrite("_Wlan_QueryInterface2: " & $Error)

If $CmdLine[0] == 0 Then
	MsgBox(16, "ExportXmlProfile error", "Missing profile SSID argument")
	Exit 1
EndIf

If $CmdLine[0] > 1 Then
	MsgBox(16, "ExportXmlProfile error", "Incorrect number of command line arguments")
	Exit 1
EndIf

; Check that the profile exists
$wlanProfile = _Wlan_GetProfile(-1, -1, $CmdLine[1])
If StringLeft($wlanProfile, 18) == "Element not found." Then
	MsgBox(16, "ExportXmlProfile error", "No profile found for SSID: " & $CmdLine[1])
	Exit 1
EndIf

; Get the profile's XML
$a_iCall = DllCall($WLANAPIDLL, "dword", "WlanGetProfile", "hwnd", $GLOBAL_hClientHandle, "ptr", $Interfaces[0][0], "wstr", "reg73G_rsn_eap_ccmp","ptr", 0, "wstr*", 0, "ptr*", 0, "ptr*", 0)
If @error <> 0 Then
	MsgBox(16, "ExportXmlProfile error", "Error getting the XML profile for SSID: " & $CmdLine[1])
	Exit 1
ElseIf $a_iCall[0] <> 0 Then
	$ErrorMessage = _Wlan_GetErrorMessage($a_iCall[0])
	MsgBox(16, "ExportXmlProfile error", "Error getting the XML profile for SSID: " & $CmdLine[1] & @CRLF & "Error (" & $a_iCall[0] & "): " & $ErrorMessage)
	Exit 1
EndIf
$xmlProfile = $a_iCall[5]

; Write the profile to a file
$fileName = $CmdLine[1] & ".xml"
$fh = FileOpen ( $fileName , 2 )
If $fh == -1 Then
	MsgBox(16, "ExportXmlProfile error", "Could not write to XML file: " & $fileName)
	Exit 1
EndIf
FileWrite($fh, $xmlProfile )
FileClose($fh)

MsgBox(64, "ExportXmlProfile success", "Successfully wrote the profile to: " & $fileName)

_Wlan_EndSession(-1) ;Calls CloseHandle and closes the dll
ImportXmlProfile.au3 - Autoit profile import script (can be compiled to stand-alone executable)
Usage: ImportXmlProfile <profile.xml>
[...]

_Wlan_SetInterface(-1, -1, 1, "Infrastructure Only") ;Infrastructure Only, Ad Hoc Only, or Any Available Network
If @error Then ConsoleWrite("_Wlan_SetInterface2: " & $Error)
$QI = _Wlan_QueryInterface(-1, -1, 1)
If @error Then ConsoleWrite("_Wlan_QueryInterface2: " & $Error)

If $CmdLine[0] == 0 Then
	ConsoleWrite("Error: No XML file name was supplied.")
	Exit 1
EndIf

If $CmdLine[0] > 1 Then
	ConsoleWrite("Error: Incorrect number of command line arguments")
	Exit 1
EndIf

If StringRegExp(StringRight($CmdLine[1], 4), "(?i)\.xml") <> 1 Then
	ConsoleWrite('Error: Given file name is not of type: ".xml": ' & $CmdLine[1])
	Exit 1
EndIf

; Reading the profile from an XML file
$fh = FileOpen ( $CmdLine[1], 0 )
If $fh == -1 Then
	ConsoleWrite("Error: Could not read from XML file: " & $CmdLine[1])
	Exit 1
EndIf

$profileXml = FileRead($fh)
FileClose($fh)

; Setting the profile
$a_iCall = DllCall($WLANAPIDLL, "dword", "WlanSetProfile", "hwnd", $GLOBAL_hClientHandle, "ptr", $Interfaces[0][0], "dword", 0, "wstr", $profileXml, "ptr", 0, "int", 1, "ptr", 0, "dword*", 0)
If @error <> 0 Then
	ConsoleWrite("Error: Could not set profile from XML file: " & $CmdLine[1])
	Exit 1
Else
	If $a_iCall[0] <> 0 Then
		$ErrorMessage = _Wlan_GetErrorMessage($a_iCall[0])
		ConsoleWrite("Error: Could not set profile from XML file: " & $CmdLine[1] & @CRLF & "Error (" & $a_iCall[0] & "): " & $ErrorMessage)
		Exit 1
	EndIf
EndIf

ConsoleWrite("Success: Setting a profile from XML file: " & $CmdLine[1])

_Wlan_EndSession(-1) ;Calls CloseHandle and closes the dll