Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Seven More Lies You'll hear At Electronic Stores

Seven More Lies You'll hear At Electronic Stores

General Kanckers

http://consumerist.com/356135/7-lies...tronics-stores

1) "The Service Plan covers everything" In fact, it doesn't cover most
things. Don't believe any salesman who says it covers physical damage,
spills, cosmetic damage, etc. Also, after you have you machine replaced
(after 3 repairs), the Service Plan stops working. The salesman will act
like the replacement is a benefit, really it's so FS can wash their hands of
your buggy hardware.

2) "I'm going to give you a discount"
More often than not my co-workers would lie about high priced items,
claiming to take off hundreds of dollars on cables or warranties to trick
uninformed shoppers. Always shop around and find out how much things are
worth, and watch what the items scan in at instead of taking his word.

3) "This model is a Future Shop exclusive"
Danger Will Robinson. "Exclusives" are always a repackaged retail
product, usually with a slight cosmetic change, but bumped up several
hundred dollars. As my manager put it: "They move the speakers from the
bottom to the sides, repaint it and we mark it up". Salesmen make about
triple commission on these models, so there's strong incentive to push them.

4) "Setup will avoid hours of work"
This only applies to computers, but it's good to know. Most salesmen try
to push this on technophobes, saying that it's a complicated procedure
involving special tools. Really, they click through the Vista install, run
regedit to stop some software and burn a backup disk. Oh, and it's
automated. Unless your time is worth about 30 dollars an hour do it
yourself.

5) "You're saving on x"
With some products there are legitimate discounts available for
bundling, and managers have the authority to offer real discounts on
unbundled product. However, avoid bundles like "Pay 350 dollars for setup
and get free Office and Antivirus". You end up saving about 20 dollars on
Office and Antivirus, but you're paying 80 dollars for useless setup still.
If you're going for a discount refuse to tack on anything you don't want,
and try to push the salesman. It'll hurt his numbers to help you, but he
won't want to lose a big sale.

6) "You need Monster Cables/Setup/x to make this work well"
Anyone who reads Consumerist knows Monster Cables are a scam, so avoid
them like the plague. They make the salesman about 25 dollars per cable, and
leave you with very expensive copper. Similarly, some salesmen say computers
won't work well without setup, which less technically-inclined customers
tend to believe.

7) "You have to buy x"
Legally, the store is obligated to sell you any available (nondisplay)
product at the advertised price. Many stores "pre-setup" their laptops to
avoid making customers wait for setup. Salesmen see this as an excuse to
force the setup on you. Legally (at least in my store), if the customer
didn't want setup we had to give them the laptop at the sticker price, with
setup. If the salesman is too pushy ask for a manager, who will know the
rules a lot better.

Agent_C

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:18:45 GMT, "General Kanckers"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 6) "You need Monster Cables/Setup/x to make this work well"
> Anyone who reads Consumerist knows Monster Cables are a scam, so avoid
>them like the plague. They make the salesman about 25 dollars per cable, and
>leave you with very expensive copper. Similarly, some salesmen say computers
>won't work well without setup, which less technically-inclined customers
>tend to believe.
>
> 7) "You have to buy x"
> Legally, the store is obligated to sell you any available (nondisplay)
>product at the advertised price. Many stores "pre-setup" their laptops to
>avoid making customers wait for setup. Salesmen see this as an excuse to
>force the setup on you. Legally (at least in my store), if the customer
>didn't want setup we had to give them the laptop at the sticker price, with
>setup. If the salesman is too pushy ask for a manager, who will know the

Just these 7 ??? - Dude, I can think of at least 100 more!

Stay tuned...

A_C

Impmon

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:18:47 -0500, Agent_C
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just these 7 ??? - Dude, I can think of at least 100 more!

And I can probably add another 100 on top of yours.

I had a Best Buy claim that unless I matched the printer brand to the
PC, they wouldn't work properly. I insisted on the one printer I was
buying and told them I would buy a new computer with the printer. They
have not been able to find a Kodak branded computer yet =)

Zomoniac

Impmon wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:18:47 -0500, Agent_C
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just these 7 ??? - Dude, I can think of at least 100 more!

> And I can probably add another 100 on top of yours.
>
> I had a Best Buy claim that unless I matched the printer brand to the
> PC, they wouldn't work properly. I insisted on the one printer I was
> buying and told them I would buy a new computer with the printer. They
> have not been able to find a Kodak branded computer yet =)

LOL! Apart from HP does anyone actually make both?!?!

--
Zo
FS 360: Skate, Table Tennis, Stuntman Ignition, Ridge Racer 6, FIFA 07,

scoopex

General Kanckers wrote:

1. PLEASE ****OFF GENERAL YOU SPAMMING MONG.

really real

> 6) "You need Monster Cables/Setup/x to make this work well"
> Anyone who reads Consumerist knows Monster Cables are a scam, so avoid
> them like the plague. They make the salesman about 25 dollars per cable, and
> leave you with very expensive copper. Similarly, some salesmen say computers
> won't work well without setup, which less technically-inclined customers
> tend to believe.

I was having real trouble finding an HDMI cable, or whatever they're
called, to hook up my PS3 to my tv set. The cheapest I could find was a
$50 Electrohome cable, but the salesman said they had trouble hooking
those up to some tv sets. I settled on an $80 Monster Cable. For $30,
did I buy peace of mind, or was I ripped off?

General Kanckers

"scoopex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

6) "You need Monster Cables/Setup/x to make this work well"
Anyone who reads Consumerist knows Monster Cables are a scam, so avoid
them like the plague. They make the salesman about 25 dollars per cable, and
leave you with very expensive copper. Similarly, some salesmen say computers
won't work well without setup, which less technically-inclined customers
tend to believe.

7) "You have to buy x"
Legally, the store is obligated to sell you any available (nondisplay)
product at the advertised price. Many stores "pre-setup" their laptops to
avoid making customers wait for setup. Salesmen see this as an excuse to
force the setup on you. Legally (at least in my store), if the customer
didn't want setup we had to give them the laptop at the sticker price, with
setup. If the salesman is too pushy ask for a manager, who will know the

Sanddancer

1. This is an Xbox group

&

2. It's a UK group

There's a hint in the newsgroup title.

Hak

"really real" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> 6) "You need Monster Cables/Setup/x to make this work well"
>> Anyone who reads Consumerist knows Monster Cables are a scam, so
>> avoid them like the plague. They make the salesman about 25 dollars per
>> cable, and leave you with very expensive copper. Similarly, some salesmen
>> say computers won't work well without setup, which less
>> technically-inclined customers tend to believe.

> I was having real trouble finding an HDMI cable, or whatever they're
> called, to hook up my PS3 to my tv set. The cheapest I could find was a
> $50 Electrohome cable, but the salesman said they had trouble hooking
> those up to some tv sets. I settled on an $80 Monster Cable. For $30, did
> I buy peace of mind, or was I ripped off?

Man you got ripped off in the worse way. Ass raped.

Just do a search on Monster Cable Ripoff and read the thousands of articles.

Calab

> I was having real trouble finding an HDMI cable, or whatever they're
> called, to hook up my PS3 to my tv set. The cheapest I could find was a
> $50 Electrohome cable, but the salesman said they had trouble hooking
> those up to some tv sets. I settled on an $80 Monster Cable. For $30, did
> I buy peace of mind, or was I ripped off?

You were ripped off... I paid $6.00 for my cable at monoprice.com.

HDMI is digital. It either works or doesn't... No fuzziness or blurryness
from low cost cables.