Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

A G J

We too have many freeze and lockup problems.

Computer: Dell SmartPC model 150D, Intel Celeron 1.2GHz. 512MB. 20GB HD.
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

Netgear 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311.
System runs without any problem with this adapter inside (but driver not
installed).

Download driver 1.3 (v30043) and 1.5 beta from Netgear web site.

Both drivers does caused system to freeze and lockup within 30 minutes of
booting up.

The ver 1.5 beta drivers keep ask to select from either Netgear or Microsoft
drivers. But both 1.3 and 1.5 versions caused system to freeze up.

Is there anyone have solutions for this lock up problem?

Is there anyway for me to trace and find out what the system was doing last
before it get locked up?

Thank you.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Did you try to use another PCI slot?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"A G J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We too have many freeze and lockup problems.
>
> Computer: Dell SmartPC model 150D, Intel Celeron 1.2GHz. 512MB. 20GB HD.
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.
>
> Netgear 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311.
> System runs without any problem with this adapter inside (but driver not
> installed).
>
> Download driver 1.3 (v30043) and 1.5 beta from Netgear web site.
>
> Both drivers does caused system to freeze and lockup within 30 minutes of
> booting up.
>
> The ver 1.5 beta drivers keep ask to select from either Netgear or
> Microsoft
> drivers. But both 1.3 and 1.5 versions caused system to freeze up.
>
> Is there anyone have solutions for this lock up problem?
>
> Is there anyway for me to trace and find out what the system was doing
> last
> before it get locked up?
>
> Thank you.

A G J

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Did you try to use another PCI slot?
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Jack, thank you. We have tried two other PCI slots. Same system freeze up
problem presist.
Actually, most of the systems in our office now has this Netgear Adapter
inside the computer, (but without installed the drivers), and all system
works well, except without wirelss connection, of course.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You first need to rule out a defective card.
Exchange the card with a card from another computer.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"A G J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uVz%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Did you try to use another PCI slot?
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Jack, thank you. We have tried two other PCI slots. Same system freeze up
> problem presist.
> Actually, most of the systems in our office now has this Netgear Adapter
> inside the computer, (but without installed the drivers), and all system
> works well, except without wirelss connection, of course.

A G J

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> You first need to rule out a defective card.
> Exchange the card with a card from another computer.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Jack, thank you for your advise.
We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the Net
gear drivers.
We tried to swap the PCI wireless adapters cards between several systems in
the three rooms near our tech service departments. Same lockup results.

Dirk Michaelsen

>We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
>floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the Net
>gear drivers.

In the installation manual of my NetGear wireless card it is
explicitely said, that you have to install the network drivers
_before_ you install the card. It is also said that you will have to
uninstall the drivers and then remove the card before a new
installation attempt, if you have made the mistake mentioned above.

Dirk

A G J

"Dirk Michaelsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
>>floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the Net
>>gear drivers.

> In the installation manual of my NetGear wireless card it is
> explicitely said, that you have to install the network drivers
> _before_ you install the card. It is also said that you will have to
> uninstall the drivers and then remove the card before a new
> installation attempt, if you have made the mistake mentioned above.
>
> Dirk

Dirk,
OK. Following your suggestions, we tried both, before and after inserting
the adapter.
Same result. We give up. No response what-so-ever from Netgear.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
At this point if it was my system I would "splurge" with $29 and order to
try this device.
It is inexpensive, and works very well with both XP and Vista.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"A G J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dirk Michaelsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
>>>floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the
>>>Net
>>>gear drivers.

>> In the installation manual of my NetGear wireless card it is
>> explicitely said, that you have to install the network drivers
>> _before_ you install the card. It is also said that you will have to
>> uninstall the drivers and then remove the card before a new
>> installation attempt, if you have made the mistake mentioned above.
>>
>> Dirk

> Dirk,
> OK. Following your suggestions, we tried both, before and after inserting
> the adapter.
> Same result. We give up. No response what-so-ever from Netgear.

A G J

Yes, we gave up. Our boss decided to approve removeal all Netgear WG311
Adapters from 65 systems here in this location.

Netgear no longer in our approved vendor list.